Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Interesting rumor: AMD DX10.1 chips to come in Jan '08?

Page: 1 of 1
 Negative Sun
09-16-2007, 6:59 PM
Clicky (http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/601281/rumour-control-amd-directx-101-chips-in-january-2008.html)

With a 45nm core running at 800MHz, decent memory, low power comsumption and a good price tag this could be a good GPU for AMD to go into battle against nVidia with, cause let's face it right now it's a slaughter for AMD/Ati...

A revamp of the 2900XT could come in handy as well though.
 Q
09-16-2007, 7:59 PM
Totally agreed. They've got to do something and fast. Like dumping the incompetent idiots that are driving them into the ground.
 Astrotoy7
09-17-2007, 4:43 AM
That's a bit passionate Q ! Yes, AMDs response to the g80 definitely wasnt spectacular... but the jury is still out on the K10... I want to see them on the shelves, running on AM3 with DDR3 before I dismiss it entirely... Theyve been working on it for a long time, they must have been doing something productive - youd hope !!

10.1 will sound great for the bragging rights crowd... fact is the DX10 SDK is still a foreign language to most devs out there. Exploiting it, let alone 10.1 tweaks into mainstream titles(most of which still need to figure in DX9 backwards compatibility) is a massive ask.

mtfbwya
 Q
09-17-2007, 10:50 AM
It's true that we haven't seen K10's full potential yet, but if the switch from Socket 939/DDR to Socket AM2/DDR2 is any indication, the difference is not going to be great, because core performance is still king. Let's just hope it scales well. If it does, then it might actually live up to all of the hype that AMD has been shoveling on us for the past year.

It's all this hype that gets me passionate. As a matter of fact, it really pisses me off, and does little to inspire confidence. And yes, I remember that not too long ago Intel hyped the hell out of Netburst in a very similar fashion. I want to see David smite Goliath again. I want a competitive AMD to keep Intel on it's toes, and to keep prices down. I still think that they can do it, but it's going to take more than hype. The same goes for their GPUs.

Maybe I'm just a closet AMD fanboy that hates to see them fail at anything since the glory days when K8 was kicking the crap out of the P4. I really thought that they had a shot with K10 given the fact that C2D wasn't as big of an improvement on K8's performance as K8's was on the P4's.

P.S.: Great Black Lodge avvy, Astro. I wonder if anyone else here knows what it is.;)
 Negative Sun
09-17-2007, 11:16 AM
It's true that we haven't seen K10's full potential yet, but if the switch from Socket 939/DDR to Socket AM2/DDR2 is any indication, the difference is not going to be great, because core performance is still king. Let's just hope it scales well. If it does, then it might actually live up to all of the hype that AMD has been shoveling on us for the past year.

It's all this hype that gets me passionate. As a matter of fact, it really pisses me off, and does little to inspire confidence. And yes, I remember that not too long ago Intel hyped the hell out of Netburst in a very similar fashion. I want to see David smite Goliath again. I want a competitive AMD to keep Intel on it's toes, and to keep prices down. I still think that they can do it, but it's going to take more than hype. The same goes for their GPUs.

Maybe I'm just a closet AMD fanboy that hates to see them fail at anything since the glory days when K8 was kicking the crap out of the P4. I really thought that they had a shot with K10 given the fact that C2D wasn't as big of an improvement on K8's performance as K8's was on the P4's.

P.S.: Great Black Lodge avvy, Astro. I wonder if anyone else here knows what it is.;)
Exactly right there Q, AMD doing well means good competition which means the consumer is getting good quality at a decent price...

P.S.: Twin Peaks rules :xp:
 Q
09-17-2007, 11:27 AM
P.S.: Twin Peaks rules
Indeed it does. Weirdness, humor and babes galore. What's not to like?
 Astrotoy7
09-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Indeed it does. Weirdness, humor and babes galore. What's not to like?

Seen Inland Empire yet ?? 3 hours of Total Lynch. I call it Meta-Lynch as it encompasses, incorporates and surpasses everything he has ever done. I fully understand why he never wanted to commercially distribute it in theatres......it is so him!! ..True Masterpiece !

OT:
I'd wonder why AMD had hyped up the K10 so much...they definitely didnt do it with their lacklustre DX10 GPUs..... maybe its those later stage K10s that will be proof of the puddin.... ??

ie. 'Leo' Phase... 2008>>
http://www.megagames.com/news/images/performance.jpg)

I think you are making your mind up way too early on the k10 Q ! The first lower end 90nm phenoms were never going to deliver a knockout punch, Im sure you new that !

45nm is where the next CPU war will be waged :p [/geeky!]

mtfbwya
 Q
09-17-2007, 1:51 PM
You're probably right. Let's wait and see.
Page: 1 of 1