Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Valve Survey

Page: 1 of 1
 Negative Sun
09-11-2007, 8:36 PM
Clicky (http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html)

I find this extremely interesting, it shows what really sits in your average compy nowadays, and the results are quite surprising...

My most notable point: nVidia's GeForce 8800 as number 4 (!!!) in the GPU list, preceded only by 3 other (older) GeForce GPUs, which shows that they hit the nail on the head with the 8800 series (though I'm assuming most of those will be the GTS version :xp: )

And my very own GeForce 4 MX series at #10, which shows I'm not alone to suffer lolz!

AMD and Intel are about evenly matched, which is good to see :)

Comment please ;)
 Astrotoy7
09-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Im assuming that is a survey of steam users ?? I would have loved to have seen an 8 core gamer on there.....lolz. Who said you cant play a bit of CS on a $10,000 8 core corporate server rig, rackmounted in your wardrobe :)

mtfbwya
 Negative Sun
09-12-2007, 8:25 PM
Im assuming that is a survey of steam users ??
I think so...The numbers are quite impressive whoever it came from.
 stingerhs
09-12-2007, 9:45 PM
yes, its a survey of Steam users. when you boot up Steam, it sometimes asks you for permission to scan your system for the hardware survey, and it takes all of 20 seconds to do it. once your results are submitted, you can move on with your life. :)

there is a lot of people that use Steam. a *lot* of people which gives way to the number of responses in the survey. i can imagine that its quite a handy tool for Steam and other devs since it will give them a concrete idea of what gamers are using for their systems in terms of hardware. i can imagine that its a good way for the devs to know how to optimize the code when deadlines are coming due for certain system types.

i guess that would be one arena where developing for consoles is much easier. :)
 Negative Sun
09-14-2007, 8:03 PM
i guess that would be one arena where developing for consoles is much easier. :)
Maybe some would call it less challenging...and we all know what happens to one who remains unchallenged :)
 Astrotoy7
09-15-2007, 3:14 AM
Maybe some would call it less challenging...and we all know what happens to one who remains unchallenged :)

lolz...like sony saying the ps3 wont reach its potential for another few years... which really means..the devs are still learning the sdk :)

I'd say the same goes for DX10 SDK

mtfbwya
 Jan Gaarni
09-18-2007, 11:18 AM
True.

But it can also mean they can focus more on other aspects of the game instead, whatever that might be. :)
 Sabretooth
09-18-2007, 1:29 PM
Let's see where my old ass falls.

Network Speed - 256 Kbps - fairly popular.
System RAM - 512 Mb - yay, most popular.
Processor Vendor - GenuineIntel - top, again.
Physical CPUs - 1 - top.
Intel CPU Speeds - 1.0 GHz - 1.42% :(
Video Card Driver Name - nv4_disp.dll - top
Video Card Description - NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 - omg, this thing is 3rd?!
4:3 Aspect Primary Displays - 15" - a little down :(
Bus Types - AGP 4X - 3rd
Monitor Refresh Rate - 75Hz - 2nd!
VRAM - 128 MB - 2nd!
Desktop Bit Depth - 32, obviously. :eyeraise: - 1st
Primary Display Resolution - 1024x768 -2nd :(
Microphones - No (disabled, actually) - 2nd
Windows Version - Windows XP - yay!
Language - ENGLISH FTFW!1!!
Free Hard Drive Space - 15.6 Gb - man, i'm 1st? I thought I was the only one.
Total Hard Drive Space - 80 GB - .48% :eyeraise:

Thanks for reading the nonsense.
Page: 1 of 1