Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Sapphire launchs dual DX10 Radeon card!

Page: 1 of 1
 Negative Sun
09-06-2007, 7:35 PM
Clicky (http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/601260/sapphire-launches-dual-radeon-card.html)

I disagree with the following though:
"but we haven’t seen a card with two ATi chips since the Rage Fury Maxx in 1999."

Erm, what do you call this (http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=13802&category_id=257&manufacturer_id=0&tid=11095-08-40r) beauty then?

I'm not too sure about the 128-bit memory interface and using the 2600XT core though...A card like that is gonna be expensive as it is, so why limit it's capabilities by doing such things?

Agreed, using the 2900XT core with a 512-bit interface and 2x1Gb of GDDR4 might be a bit too expensive in the end (not to mention HOT and power-hungry to the extreme, hello Chernobyl!), but man what an amazing card that would be...
 Q
09-06-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm not too sure about the 128-bit memory interface and using the 2600XT core though...A card like that is gonna be expensive as it is, so why limit it's capabilities by doing such things?
Because it would take at least 60 amps to power it?:xp:

Meh, no thanks. Nvidia has won this round. Back to the drawing board, ATI.:)
 Negative Sun
09-07-2007, 6:42 AM
Because it would take at least 60 amps to power it?:xp:

Meh, no thanks. Nvidia has won this round. Back to the drawing board, ATI.:)
True, I hope they can catch up with the R700 core, which is rumoured to be released in Q1 of 2008, and if that's the case, what was the bloody point in releasing this poopy HD2000 series?
I'm also looking forward to the Fusion more than anything else, cause if AMD/Ati get this right they might come back on top of the race again...
 Astrotoy7
09-07-2007, 6:51 AM
why stick two together ! The R600s are hardly power efficient one their own !! ugh :(

astro
 Negative Sun
09-07-2007, 7:01 AM
It's strange when they promote it as being fabricated on the 65nm "energy efficient" fabrication process...

Maybe the R700's 55nm will prove to be more efficient, or efficient, period.
 stingerhs
09-07-2007, 12:21 PM
^^^^
the thing is that the HD2600's are more energy efficient than the HD2900's. having the 65nm core does make a big difference in power consumption and heat production which is both considerably less.

as for the card itself, well, if it performs similar to the HD2900XT for less money, then i say go for it. it probably doesn't do much to help the heat/power issue since it is two cards, though.

just my two pennies. ;)
 Negative Sun
09-16-2007, 6:54 PM
^^^^
the thing is that the HD2600's are more energy efficient than the HD2900's. having the 65nm core does make a big difference in power consumption and heat production which is both considerably less.

as for the card itself, well, if it performs similar to the HD2900XT for less money, then i say go for it. it probably doesn't do much to help the heat/power issue since it is two cards, though.

just my two pennies. ;)
Definitely true...Maybe the rumored 45nm core will prove to be different.
Page: 1 of 1