Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

UFO's

Page: 1 of 1
 John Galt
08-28-2007, 9:51 PM
We've been hearing a lot about unidentified flying objects for the past 60 years ago, especially during and immediately after the second world war. Are they hoaxes (I know some have been disproved), or is there a possibility that some of the sightings are actual extraterrestrials?
 Q
08-28-2007, 10:03 PM
More than the whole Roswell/Area 51 thing, the "Foo fighters" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foo_fighter) phenomenon is what interests me most.
 Darth InSidious
08-29-2007, 6:33 PM
They're the work of that devilish Russian, Yuri* (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_%28Command_%26_Conquer%29).

Alternatively, they're a Jesuit plot. Take your pick.
 JoeDoe 2.0
08-29-2007, 6:38 PM
It must be the Russians making Weapons of Mass Destruction...

or the Aliens are messing with us because they have nothing better to do
 jonathan7
08-29-2007, 8:32 PM
We've been hearing a lot about unidentified flying objects for the past 60 years ago, especially during and immediately after the second world war. Are they hoaxes (I know some have been disproved), or is there a possibility that some of the sightings are actual extraterrestrials?

Personally I think UFO's are more likely to be governments testing out state of the art aircraft. Take Area 51 for example, if you look at it on Google earth theres a massive runway, hangers etc, so military puts out stories of UFO's so locals think they have seen an alien spacecraft and not, the next gen of American fighter.

Dunno about the foo fighter thing tho, anyone explained the bermuda triangle yet as well??
 Jvstice
08-29-2007, 8:41 PM
jonathan: I think you're right about a lot of them. Also, there have been thousands of Ph.Ds in the sciences who worked the way up to being the heads of their departments, then confessed to have made a number of crop circles in the 70s and 80s.
 jonathan7
08-29-2007, 8:46 PM
jonathan: I think you're right about a lot of them. Also, there have been thousands of Ph.Ds in the sciences who worked the way up to being the heads of their departments, then confessed to have made a number of crop circles in the 70s and 80s.

Hehe, my other thought for the day is, if Aliens had invented the technology to get all this way, surley we would be seeing alot more proof of them being around. That or somehow the American (and other) govenments are succesfully able to hide the exsistance of Aliens... I mean common; surley if ET had visited and had the ability to travel thousands of lightyears he would be able to announce him(her, it)self to the world...
 Arcesious
08-29-2007, 9:04 PM
Area 51 isn't as mysterious as many say it is- it's just a testing groudn for weapons of mass desctruction for the total and utter doom of any enemies! :p
The Bermuda triang eis just a hoast of a myth. Ancient guys foudn the bermuda triangle, overexxaggerated their stories and such, and boom- bermuda triangle of mysterious things.... *oooo... i'm the ghost of the bermuda triangle... booo... i will make my mighty kraken seamonster eat you... oooo...* :p

If alians do exist hel;ping the governement, which is highly unlikely, they are being kept secret so as to not alarm the public.

think of it this way:

Alians come to erth, the public has been influenced by mythsa and movies that aliens are hostile- and their existance could cause mass panic. thus, the governement and alien keep them secret until the time comes that mass panic won't occur when their existence would be revealed.
 Jvstice
08-29-2007, 9:30 PM
jonathan7: Well if they could travel this far, either they're a lot smarter than us, a lot more long lived, or a lot more patient. It seems stupid that they'd be mucking about with some of the things atributed to them.

All of those reasons would point to a definite purpose in being here. Crop circles and anal probes don't really seem to rise to that standard.

Arcesius: These are beings determined and smart enough to gotten here, but our government is able to keep it quiet that they got here? :P I find that unlikely. :)
 Arcesious
08-29-2007, 9:34 PM
What if the aliens aren't hostile, and wan to help us, and understand that their existiecne beign known would cause mass panic?
 jonathan7
08-29-2007, 9:37 PM
jonathan7: Well if they could travel this far, either they're a lot smarter than us, a lot more long lived, or a lot more patient. It seems stupid that they'd be mucking about with some of the things atributed to them.

All of those reasons would point to a definite purpose in being here. Crop circles and anal probes don't really seem to rise to that standard.

Maybe they got bord on the journey and though, you know what when I get to earth the first thing I will do is make a crop circle!

Haha, is it me, or do all the people who have been anal probed seem to be one of four things;

1. Open to suggestion
2. Desperate to get on TV
3. Not the sharpest knife in the draw
4. Desperate to be anally probed

Besides if you have traveled all the way, and were going to have a look at human DNA, would it not be select members of the species (Hawking, Mandela etc) and not John Doe the farmer? (not that I have anything against farmers).
 Arcesious
08-29-2007, 9:39 PM
Hey! john Doe's my grampa! jk. :p
 Jvstice
08-29-2007, 9:49 PM
arcesius: Possible, but I still wouldn't see the need for a benevolent superior being to remain secretive of their whole existence. If they were superior, they could defend themselves, so wouldn't be afraid. If their intentions were on the up and up, why would they be afraid of us knowing both about their existence and what their intentions are?

jonathan: Or someone who was really messed up, the opposite of a prodigy. That everyone that has the experience seems so ordinary and in good health (other than mental health) seems odd.
 SilentScope001
08-29-2007, 9:52 PM
Well, I think few people have ever considered the possiblity that all UFO stories are created by a secret cabal of conspiracy theorists trying to fool people with some hidden goals. (In public, they want money. In private, they want control of the world government.)
 John Galt
08-29-2007, 10:00 PM
No, there actually is a scientific theory explaining why ships tend to sink in areas like the Bermuda Triangle and the other Triangle of ship sinkings in the South Pacific, and I recall Mythbusters tested one aspect of it, and were able to sink normally buoyant things quite easily. I think it had something to do with air bubbles rising from the seafloor, reducing the ability of various things to stay afloat.

My friend's uncle is a colonel at Edwards Air Force Base, and he isn't allowed to talk about what goes on there.

I've actually been inside the headquarters of the NRO (National Reconnaissance Office), which is 50/50 CIA and NSA, for a guided tour around the facility. They are the people who do satellite reconnaissance. I must say, we have some awesome satellite technology, but I didn't hear a word about extra-terrestrials. Yes, there was a Starbucks there.
 Jvstice
08-29-2007, 10:01 PM
silentscope001: How would this give anyone the reigns of power? I could see how it would get them money, and influence in very limited circles, but it destroys their credibility in other social circles.
 SilentScope001
08-29-2007, 10:04 PM
silentscope001: How would this give anyone the reigns of power? I could see how it would get them money, and influence in very limited circles, but it destroys their credibility in other social circles.

Well, it was half-serious. :p Influence is likely to be gained, and prehaps a few followers in organizations, maybe even a milita group...but an actual takeover is unlikely.
 PoiuyWired
08-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Well, its "Unidentified Flying Object" Things like that exists way back 100 of years ago, perhaps more. Its natural that sometimes we do not know what we are looking at.

Well, to start off, eyes and minds and drugs plays weird tricks, so did weather and environment factors. Such things can make even the most mundane objects seems unfamiliar. Add that to some truely rare (or not understood) phenomenon and some deliberate lies and hoaxes, and we get anything from E.T.s. , monsters, angels/gods/devils/spirits, strange mothman in jumpsuits and the like.

Well, it also seems that most of these UFO sightings can be debunked into the following:
Hoaxes(civilian tricks to military coverup, you name it).
Animals/etc. (clusters of glowing bugs, birds, even a theory of barn owls with glowing chest etc)
Airplanes (yes the normal ones, not those superjets or secret objects)
weather balloons(etc)
anything from satellites to stuff like that
Simple atmospheric phenomenon.
weird/rare phenomenon(ball lightning etc, interesting on their own to start with).
Common Object under poor condition (may it be visual, mental and the like)
Bad Camera and such.

BUT, after all those there are things that are TRUELY unidentified, probably:

Undisclosed military toys
(the military have some unidentified new toys and the like, and theya re not telling you what these are OBVIOUSLY. Whichever military these belong to they are not going to identify it anytime soon, until it is way out of style.)

Really weird phenomenon
(These may be rarely studied, like foxfire and what not. Basically things we know its there, but do not have the time/effort/etc to truely understand yet)

Protoss, Zergs, Rakatans, Necrons, Space Marines or the Vongs.
(Well, not really. But yeah there is that slim slim chance that there maybe alien explorers. I personally won't go along these lines but it is not impossable. Plus by alien it does not mean only guys from space. There are theories from deep sea "aliens" to transdimentional traveller. Yes it might as well be Zergs for those who believe it.)
 Rev7
09-16-2007, 2:12 PM
It is a figiment of your imagination...... No more no Less........
 Rogue Warrior
09-18-2007, 6:25 AM
I am not willing to dismiss it out of hand, but if they are meant to be that advanced we wouldn't see evidence of them, there would be no Roswell aliens. Unless of course they wanted to reveal themselves. Crop circles? No, I think more a definite message that they are here.
 Lantzen
09-18-2007, 9:08 AM
Don't know if this has been mention. But i saw a program on Discovery Channel about how US used spyplanes that looked like UFOs during the Cold War. Il think alot of the UFO talk came from them
 Rev7
09-19-2007, 10:58 PM
Probably... a vessel that can come into the atmosphere without being disentigrated is a little far fetched.
Page: 1 of 1