Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What tools open what files for KOTOR 2 TSL mods?

Page: 1 of 1
 chesstech
08-28-2007, 4:13 AM
I downloaded all the kotor & kotor2 tools and understand a little about the Main KOTOR tool. What I want to do is take the mods i've downloaded and combined them into 1 big mod by adding lines or whatever to make incompatable mods or that use similar properties(spells,appearances,templates, etc.....) work without crashing or chosing which ones to use.( i.e. Floating Lightsabers or Force Choke Anyone) I know that i an not the first to try to disect a mod to understand how it is consructed, but the tutorials that are listed are limited in detailed explainations of what files they access. This is the easiest way for me to learn how to do something.

Here are the ones I can open and the tool that i use:
2DA = Kotor tool
DLG = Kotor TSl Dialogue Editor
Gimp Image = Gimp 2.0
Bink video = Rad video tools

I mainly use the Save Game Editor to max out my inventory, powers, skills,attributes and experiance. Also, I use it to add to my inventory items that normally can't get during the natural couse of the game.(Heart of the Force sabers, corruption robe, etc...)

These are the ones I need help opening:
UTC
NCS
NSS
MDL
MDX
TXI
UTI
UTP
UTD
ERF
RIM
BIF
ASI
FLT
M3D
TLK
UTW
JRL file
CONF file
BFD
ARE
PM
PL
FRM
FRX
VBP
VBW
Hard Disk Camera Movie
Executable Jar
Yahoo! JMusic Juke Box

Note that I scanned through all the mod files and the main game files to come up with this list, some maybe tool files but I'm not for sure.
I have about 40 downloaded files and about 10 of them are tools.
My latest downloads are the "Droid planet, HK factory,Corasant temple".

If anyone can help or warn me about any problems that I will come across, will be appreciated.

Thank you for any info.
 tk102
08-28-2007, 10:22 AM
but the tutorials that are listed are limited in detailed explainations of what files they access.
That's because you're working backwards. :) We don't have a reverse engineering tutorial.

This is the easiest way for me to learn how to do something. :giveup:
Okay if you say so. :)

Many of the various game files are GFF formatted and can be opened with a GFF editor like K-GFF. All the file type that start with UT_ are template files for example.

stoffe posted a list of file types/descriptions used Jade Empire in this thread (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=177647) which are also true in KotOR.

The PL, PM, FRM, FRX, VBP, VBW files are source code files for my tools. Pay them no attention. :p

If anyone can help or warn me about any problems that I will come across, will be appreciated.
You'll need to work through some of the tutorials to get an idea how mod conflicts can occur so that you can learn how to resolve them. Typically these involve 2DA conflicts which are relatively easy to fix, but other conflicts such as those involving dialog or scripting may require some creativity in resolving.
 chesstech
08-28-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks for your advice. I am new and don't want to screw up the game or the mods. This why i was asking if there was a way of studing how the files are comstructed before i go doing something i don't undestand. But i guess the only way is to try and hope for the best.

Tanks again.
Page: 1 of 1