Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Greek forest fires

Page: 1 of 1
 Dagobahn Eagle
08-26-2007, 9:42 PM
For those who have not caught this yet, there are several huge forest fires raging in Greece, and they've claimed at least 60 lives so far. Authorities are starting to hunt for arsonists, stating that the fires were deliberately started. Catching arsonists will earn you a 1 million Euro award.

Myself, I do indeed find it strange that so many major fires should start simultaneously in such a big area. I'm not 'OMG da terrorizts r coming get ur gas masks!!!11!!11'-type of person, but this is eerie. According to BBC:
The fires could have been started as a way of getting around Greek law which forbids development on areas designated as forest land.
Makes you lose faith in humanity.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44080000/gif/_44080261_greece_fires2_416map.gif)
 Fredi
08-26-2007, 9:57 PM
they've claimed at least 60 lives so far
DAMN!!!.... Thats nasty...
 Nancy Allen``
08-27-2007, 8:13 AM
I'm quite hot under the coller, pardon the pun, about people who light fires stand back and get their rocks off. These animals should be made to fight the fires they light, risk their lives the same as the real Supermen do to stop the threat they had caused. That or arsonists should be fed right into the flames they created, that's what I'd like to see happen. Realistically it never would but making them fight fires, especally the ones they lit, that should be put into place. They like fires so much they can see them up close.
 John Galt
08-27-2007, 11:24 AM
I see this around here more and more, pyros lighting up the hills just for kicks. Makes me sick.
 Dagobahn Eagle
08-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Nance actually has a point. 'Conscripting' arsonists into the fire department might be a decent way to deal with them:D. Or perhaps not.
 mur'phon
08-27-2007, 4:21 PM
I agre with Nancy, only I would like to sentence them to work in the russian parachuting firefighters for at least 10 years. It should teach them not to do it again, while helping the firefighters with an impossible job at the same time.
 mimartin
08-27-2007, 5:24 PM
Don’t get me wrong Nancy I like your idea, but from a purely psychological point of view I don’t know what the ramifications would be from putting an arsonist around fire. Might be like putting the inmates in charge of the asylum.

Arsonist doing arson for financial gain I can see no problem with putting them to work fighting fires, but those that might have some type of mental illness, I’m not so sure about putting them around fires.

In reading about arsonist I found it weird that an environmental group would resort to arson, but according to Wikipedia they do. Earth Liberation Front (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Liberation_Front)
 SilentScope001
08-27-2007, 6:08 PM
Makes you lose faith in humanity.

Shouldn't it make you lose faith in fire?

Or at the least, hope for the day when all society gets digtalized and turn into forums? At least then, all that hatred and violence would just be "flame wars" on a online forum, and only people's feelings, not lives or very important property? We won't end hate, but the hate would have no meaning and be utterly useless.

And I'm not okay for conscripting arsonists into Firefighting (however ludcrious the proposer knows it is). Cruel and unusual punishment, plus they are arsonists. A Note: I've talked to a local firefighter who claims that most Firefighters actually like fires, hence why they join Firefighters.
 Jae Onasi
08-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Arsonists like watching things burn like alcoholics like to drink alcohol. They have pyromania and would get in the way of firefighters trying to do their job, and might actually make things worse by trying to set more fires if they were on the front lines.
 Rogue Warrior
09-18-2007, 6:31 AM
By rights they should have the book thrown at them, add to the charge of arson destruction of property, murder, everything you can get on the weasels.
Page: 1 of 1