Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WTF Lucasfilm?

Page: 1 of 1
 urluckyday
08-18-2007, 1:27 PM
Okay, before you read this...understand that I know that this is relatively old news, but I just wanted to point it out...

I just heard about this by reading wikipedia. Shepperton Design Studios (SDS) makes the Stormtrooper (as well as many other) helmets. They use the original molds from the movies, and I believe employ one of the original creators of the original helmets. You can buy all your helmets there (quite expensive), but the quality is unmatched (minus various home-made versions). Now, apparently, they don't have a license for making these from Lucasfilm...so Lucasfilm decided they wanted to sue em for all they were worth. Just read the Press Release (http://www.lucasfilm.com/press/news/news20061011.html)...it's) really quite annoying really. These guys made the original props, and they go out of their way to call them "Pirates."

This is just the way I feel about the subject. Please feel free to leave any comments you may have.

Further Reading:
Wikipedia Article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepperton_Design_Studios)
SDS Main Page (http://www.sdsprops.com/home.html)
 Miltiades
08-18-2007, 1:59 PM
I've always wanted to put on a helmet like that. But it's way too expensive. But I'll bookmark the website anyway, you never know... :)

But yeah, not nice of Lucasfilm.
 The Source
08-18-2007, 4:31 PM
Okay, before you read this...understand that I know that this is relatively old news, but I just wanted to point it out...

I just heard about this by reading wikipedia. Shepperton Design Studios (SDS) makes the Stormtrooper (as well as many other) helmets. They use the original molds from the movies, and I believe employ one of the original creators of the original helmets. You can buy all your helmets there (quite expensive), but the quality is unmatched (minus various home-made versions). Now, apparently, they don't have a license for making these from Lucasfilm...so Lucasfilm decided they wanted to sue em for all they were worth. Just read the Press Release (http://www.lucasfilm.com/press/news/news20061011.html)...it's) really quite annoying really. These guys made the original props, and they go out of their way to call them "Pirates."

This is just the way I feel about the subject. Please feel free to leave any comments you may have.

Further Reading:
Wikipedia Article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepperton_Design_Studios)
SDS Main Page (http://www.sdsprops.com/home.html)
The design is owned by LucasFilms, so they can sue anyone who uses them to make a profit. If the company does not have rights to the designs, I am all for LucasFilms in taking action to stop them.
 urluckyday
08-19-2007, 2:38 PM
Well, I completely agree w/ the legal side of it...but to completely screw over a legendary company just to make a quick buck is what p*sses me off...I'm sorry, but no matter how much I love Lucasfilm, I cannot condone what they are doing w/ SDS.
 The Source
08-19-2007, 3:50 PM
Well, I completely agree w/ the legal side of it...but to completely screw over a legendary company just to make a quick buck is what p*sses me off...I'm sorry, but no matter how much I love Lucasfilm, I cannot condone what they are doing w/ SDS.
When you develop a product for a company, someone you are employed by, the finished product belongs to that company. LucasFilms is just protecting thier property, and they have all right to do so. Its not about LucasFilms trying to make a quick buck, but in protecting their company's designs.

If the company in question gained a profit by illegally using a LucasFilms design, they owe LucasFilms in damages for profits lost. Otherwords, they stole not only the design, but they also stole the profit that the designs made.
 urluckyday
08-19-2007, 6:40 PM
But when does it become Lucasfilm's design? I mean, we're talking about the design that the company themselves made. Wouldn't that mean that any alterations made to the design would make it a completely different product itself anyway?
 The Source
08-19-2007, 6:51 PM
But when does it become Lucasfilm's design? I mean, we're talking about the design that the company themselves made. Wouldn't that mean that any alterations made to the design would make it a completely different product itself anyway?
"marketing unlicensed copies of Stormtrooper helmets and costumes, and TIE fighter pilot helmets from the Star Wars films"
They must have not deviated enough. It looks like they were selling the actual products. I'm glad that Lucas won. Anyone who steals a direct design should be sued. I hope they keep cracking down.
"Lucasfilm vigorously protects its intellectual property rights in Star Wars," said Howard Roffman, President of Lucas Licensing. "Infringers like Shepperton need to understand that we will pursue them anywhere in the world to shut them down and seek restitution."
Interesting line in the press release.
 urluckyday
08-19-2007, 7:10 PM
Well, I'm mad Lucasfilm won (that's the only time you'll ever hear that from me)...I'm a die-hard Lucasfilm fan, but it's a shame they go after one of their own previous partners for it. Oh well, it appears that SDS is still up and running anyway, so I'm not gonna be too mad.
 The Source
08-19-2007, 7:54 PM
Well, I'm mad Lucasfilm won (that's the only time you'll ever hear that from me)...I'm a die-hard Lucasfilm fan, but it's a shame they go after one of their own previous partners for it. Oh well, it appears that SDS is still up and running anyway, so I'm not gonna be too mad.
You have a right to your own opinion, and I thank you for your conversation. "It is what it is." Regardless about you or I, LucasFilms is going to do what they consider to be right. I just happen to agree with their philosophy.
 urluckyday
08-19-2007, 8:07 PM
Yea, it was a good conversation. It's actually nice to have a convo once in a while that is actually meaningful on LF...don't get me wrong...I have a blast with random banter, but having an actual conversation is like taking a break.
So, thank you for contributing to the thread.
 TripHammer
08-19-2007, 11:11 PM
Yea.. I'd have to agree with The Source... It is Lucas' property regardless of who made the thing... it was done for payment. Many companies are the same way. If I write a program for my company.. it's their property because I work for them.. I can't go selling it off unless I have my employer's OK. That seems pretty normal to me.
Page: 1 of 1