Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Vader went glowy

Page: 1 of 1
 neal8929
08-15-2007, 9:14 PM
How did Vader know how to go glowy When he died? surely obi1 or yoda wouldnt have taught him cause he was evil. How did he find out how to do that?
 urluckyday
08-16-2007, 12:19 AM
It wasn't really a choice I don't think. The same way Qui-Gon learned how to do it probably. It was just something that happened I assume, and Luke was able to see him.
 adamqd
08-16-2007, 3:42 AM
Remember that Anakin didn't have a father, he was half human, half the force ie. the Chosen one, maybe he was destined to join the force with his consciousness intact from birth
 TripHammer
08-16-2007, 5:18 PM
Well along that same idea...

Yoda tells Obi he'll be going into hiding at the end of ep 3... Yoda says he'll train him to communicate with his old master Qui-Gon... yet Luke was able to speak with Obi-Wan in ep 5 with no training whatsoever, right after Yoda kicked it..

Or even Obi talking to Luke while he sits in his x-wing fighter ready to blow up the DeathStar in ep 4. Are we to believe Obi is more powerful than Qui-gon and Luke didn't need any additional training because Obi was that powerful even in death...
 adamqd
08-16-2007, 5:35 PM
^^
Good points... Also, Obi-wan is the first "known" Jedi to to retain his form and consciousness after death, Qui-gon didn't fully realize this skill in time for his own death. I think Qui-gon was more of a whisper in the force, a bit like accessing a Holocron, where as Obi-wan was almost corporeal, not so distant from life...
 BigMike322
09-08-2007, 1:03 PM
I think it's because you become one with the force and have acheived a certain level of skill. In the Redemption graphic novel Ulic's body disapears when he dies, even though he was force blocked. Vader probably had the skill, all it took has Luke to turn him to the light side.
 Kurgan
09-08-2007, 4:00 PM
I think it's pretty silly... thousands and thousands of Jedi and none of them "accidentally" figure out how to turn into ghosts, but Qui Gon does? And yet, Anakin can still do it without this magical "training" that somehow Obi-Wan and Yoda need?

Lucas claimed he was going to explain this Star Wars "mystery" but is explanation is weak. Seems it would have been better left unexplained...
 Fettscommander
09-12-2007, 11:05 AM
I read the supposed plot for sw ep 9 and it said "The Jedi meet at Yavin 4 to celebrate the defeat of the dark side. In the distance, Luke can see countless thousands of Jedi from every era appear as Jedi spirits". I think it has something to do with the dark side not alowing them to transform into the force, I don't know about qui gon but darth vader could have if the statement is true because he was not held back by the dark side. (I hope what I said wasn't confusing)
 JoeDoe 2.0
09-13-2007, 2:17 PM
I read somewhere that because Anakin sacrificed himself to save his son, a selfless act towards another. The same thing Ben did. That would explain it I guess.
 Fettscommander
09-13-2007, 4:52 PM
but what about quigon?
 adamqd
09-13-2007, 5:19 PM
but what about quigon?

Lucas has said that coming back as a ghost was a skill that had to be learned, Qui Gon realized this after his death and thus could not retain his form in the afterlife, he trained Yoda who in turn trained Obi wan what he knew and they completed the training needed to retain ones form and consciousness in the after life.
I think like joe doe sad, his sacrifice and redemption earned his place in the force... that or because he was born of the force, he would die and return to it,
 PoiuyWired
09-21-2007, 3:50 AM
Well, technically the cold dead spirit of Vader would be connected to the ones he trusted most. Barring Padme and his offsprings that would be QuiGon. I know it has been a while since they meet each other, but dude is the only Father Type person Anakin looks up to.

So learning from a QuiGon ghost is possable.
 martmeister
09-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Let's face it: Lucas would redo Eps 4-6 if it weren't already ingrained in our minds.
 BigMike322
09-27-2007, 8:18 PM
I just assumed that Vader figured it out on his own because he was born of the force and had more potential than anyone.
 neal8929
10-02-2007, 6:16 PM
This is interesting, in a book I read that when luke talks to obi wan, sometimes obiwan cant hear luke reply. stupid old people.
 adamqd
10-03-2007, 10:39 AM
I just assumed that Vader figured it out on his own because he was born of the force and had more potential than anyone.

Thats what I said :). On the ROTJ commentary, lucas just says that he retained his consciousness in the force because Yoda and Obi-wan learned how to... No further explanation
 Rev7
10-03-2007, 7:11 PM
Exactly!
 Nancy Allen``
12-02-2007, 7:10 AM
^^
Good points... Also, Obi-wan is the first "known" Jedi to to retain his form and consciousness after death, Qui-gon didn't fully realize this skill in time for his own death. I think Qui-gon was more of a whisper in the force, a bit like accessing a Holocron, where as Obi-wan was almost corporeal, not so distant from life...

I remember reading up on Aayla Secura and am certain that she and other Jedi (Mace, Shaak Ti, ect) appear as Force Ghosts. She also appeared to a doctor who was a really big fan of hers, though in this case it was a trick and not the real deal.
 adamqd
12-02-2007, 9:51 AM
Shaak Ti isn't dead, and mace's body was never found, but I'm pretty sure GL's current canon is that Obi-Wan managed it first (Excluding ancient Sith and Jedi from games and books that he probably doesn't know about :))
 PoiuyWired
12-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Always Wondering... will there be a Zombie Mace or something?
 adamqd
12-02-2007, 2:10 PM
Always Wondering... will there be a Zombie Mace or something?

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/tayloryea/MichaelThriller.jpg)
 Sethonre
12-26-2007, 11:19 PM
It's because, right at the end, he went to the Light Side. So he became "one with the force"
 adamqd
12-27-2007, 10:32 AM
It's because, right at the end, he went to the Light Side. So he became "one with the force"

I think the argument is, why can Vader become one with Force automatically, when Obi and Yoda had to train for 19-23 years to achieve it.

It has been said that retaining one's consciousness in the force can only be achieved by lightsiders, but we know that Marka Ragnos was a Sith, and retained his, so I don't think light or dark matters.
 Rev7
12-28-2007, 1:36 AM
why can Vader become one with Force automatically
Maybe because he was "The Chosen One". That is the only reason I could think of...
 adamqd
12-28-2007, 4:24 AM
Agreed, That has always been my reasoning; That because he was born of the force, he was destined to become one with it at his death.
 MSILLC
12-30-2007, 10:35 AM
how about maybe in all his time as Vader he spent some time in the Jedi Temple researching this kinda stuff... he was always about ultimate powers of forever life, this would seem like a logical step yes?

Sometimes simple is best!
 Miltiades
12-30-2007, 11:32 AM
I don't think the Jedi Temple contained information about becoming a Force Ghost, as only a few Jedi managed it, or even knew about it.
 Ctrl Alt Del
12-30-2007, 8:40 PM
I don't think the Jedi Temple contained information about becoming a Force Ghost, as only a few Jedi managed it, or even knew about it.
There are sections of the Library that are restricted to the most powerful masters. Besides, if Jedi like Yoda knew, wouldn't he make an entry for it in order to enlight the Force users about it's mysteries even more?
 Miltiades
12-31-2007, 8:19 AM
That's what I thought, too. But why wouldn't any Jedi have picked up the technique, then? Maybe Yoda deliberately left out that kind of information, because of the dark side closing in. Or maybe he still didn't know exactly how to become a Force Ghost at that time? He had almost 20 years left to learn it from Qui-Gon before dying, same with Obi-Wan.
 Ctrl Alt Del
12-31-2007, 12:24 PM
That's what I thought, too. But why wouldn't any Jedi have picked up the technique, then?
Perhaps not every Force user can do it. Perhaps there are restrictions, or maybe drawbacks. What do we know about it, anyway?
 PoiuyWired
12-31-2007, 2:10 PM
Well, there are a few possable reason.
1) You don't really have time to test the technique of becoming a Force Ghost... cause you have to be dead to even try that out.
2) There many be many who would try to pull a Force Ghost, but failed.
3) Qui-Gon's success does help yoda and friends to succeed much easier.
 Yodafone
01-10-2008, 8:11 PM
It has to do neither with Anakin's power or anything else.
Dark Side of the Force destroys who you are. It eats you from within and punishes your actions. The more attuned to the Dark Side one is, the less powerful and attuned to the true nature of the Force you are.

When Vader let go of his anger, and turned to the Light, his natural connection to the Force strenghtened. I believe that Jedi strong enough in the true way of the Force (Light side) can manifest themselves easier, due to their connection and purity of spirit.
 adamqd
01-11-2008, 4:54 AM
^^^
nice theory, and up until Episode III I had a similar belief, but if you watch EP III and the commentary on the DVD, It explains that becoming a force ghost is Skill to be learned, not the Product of a good life.
I still believe that Anakin became a Ghost because he returned to the Light, yes, but he didn't train himself to do this, which leads me to believe that he was destined to become one with the force, due to his immaculate conception (IMO)
 Marius Fett
01-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Maybe Jedi have a choice?

Either stay or go on...
 Alexrd
02-06-2008, 3:00 PM
Actually, Qui-Gon learned how to be a Force Ghost from a Shaman of the Whills, Anakin being conceived by the Force has this ability, and Yoda and Obi-Wan had learned from Qui-Gon.
 Sir Phobos
02-17-2008, 3:17 PM
It's very well possible that Anakin 'disappeared' off camera. We only see him lose consciousness after his goodbye to Luke, his body probably shut down shortly after that (off camera). It's also possible that his path was like Qui Gon's.

Obi Wan's 'disappearing act' is truly one of a kind.
 PoiuyWired
02-18-2008, 3:07 PM
Maybe off "camera" QuiGon/ObiWan shows up and hand the dying Vader the "Idiot's Guide to ForceGhosting"
Page: 1 of 1