Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

AMD: Spider, Puma and Imageon !

Page: 1 of 1
 Astrotoy7
08-13-2007, 8:15 AM
No. AMD arent releasing a new anime series :p

But for those who have been wondering what theyve been up to whilst Intel has been basking in its C2D plaudits... AMD have now announced a comprehensive platform rollout plan for 2007-8.

In 2007, AMD plans to roll out Spider platform for high end desktops. Features:
*65nm manufacturing, 2MB level 3 Cache,
*Crossfire 2.0 technology which enables support for up to four graphics cards in one box.

In 2008, Leo will be rolled out as well... features:
*45nm, 6MB level 3 Cache.
*The new 55nm RD7xx GPU which will support Directx 10+.

AMD will also introduce a new notebook platform named Puma.

According to AMD, Puma is the "first ground-up notebook platform, with mobile-specific integrated northbridge architecture".

Puma will utilize new PowerXpress feature to switch between discrete and integrated graphics dynamically. Integrated graphics will be used when the notebook needs to conserve its energy, while discrete graphics, which will allow users to run power-hungry graphics applications, will kick in when the laptop is plugged into the wall.

Shipping with Puma is a yet-to-be-announced 55nm M8X series mobile GPU which would support DX10+.

Imageon is the final platform to give AMD comprehensive coverage, and is based on mobile tech, to be deployed in mobile phones, PDAs etc

http://www.megagames.com/news/images/performance.jpg)

mtfbwya
 Negative Sun
08-16-2007, 9:53 AM
w00t, nice!

So what's up with L3 being 2MB, what about L2? That's what I see noted with all the CPU's I'm drooling at just now...

Edit:
Will that be for socket AM2 you think?
 Astrotoy7
08-17-2007, 4:58 AM
w00t, nice!

So what's up with L3 being 2MB, what about L2? That's what I see noted with all the CPU's I'm drooling at just now...

Edit:
Will that be for socket AM2 you think?

The chart for Spider indicates AM2+, which most likely describes an AM2 socket with the interconnect upgrade theyve been ranting on about. This will mean some of the early phenom quads will be able to run on updated AM2 boards. Of course, its only a matter of time before AM3 and DDr3 descend into the mainstream(which is more likely what Leo may be)

Its a bit scary to think about how quick these things are ticking over... this time last year, I was getting excited about my x2 4800....now theyre $140 AUD.... (1/4 the price I got mine for)... shockin stuff :(

mtfbwya
 Negative Sun
08-17-2007, 6:21 PM
But the thing is, I'm still running on my old school Athlon 2600+ you know, it does advance fast, but on the other hand, there will always be something better out there the next day, it doesn't mean we're ****ed with what we have, and an X2 4800 is well worth the money, whatever you paid for it, and it'll sure as hell last a while if you've got a decent rig to back it up...

It's the same for the console market, people are already talking about the generation after the 360 and PS3, I mean wtf? My PS2 and future Wii will still be good for a few more years IMO lolz

I think it's quite exciting, imagine what a mid-range PC in 2020 will have for specs? Will it be Octo-cores or such running at 10Ghz each? What OS will we all be running on by then? We'll be transferring Hundreds of Gigabytes onto our memory sticks to watch HDTV on our mobile phones by then...
 stingerhs
08-29-2007, 11:32 AM
btw, for those that are interested, its looking more and more like AMD has a winner on their hands with the new Barcelona-based processors. check out this article (http://theinquirer.net/?article=41970) and see if you aren't impressed. :D
 Astrotoy7
08-29-2007, 11:51 AM
@stinger.... saw that a couple of days ago.... said 'woot' out loud :D

It'd be interesting to hear Q's take on it :)

Q! [/picard]

mtfbwya
 Q
08-30-2007, 11:09 AM
^^^(Flash of light) You rang, Jean-Luc?:)

I will reserve my conclusions for when AMD actually releases something besides hype.;)

I can say with certainty, however, that aside from SSE4 performance (where it rocks), Penryn (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3069) does not improve very much at all (5-10%) on Conroe's performance, which means that AMD certainly has a shot at the title.

The news that K10 (or whatever) is being initially released at only ~2GHZ has been viewed as a bad sign by a lot of people, but I disagree. I don't believe that this is a case of the chip not being able to clock any faster than that at all. It's very possible that AMD knows that it will be competitive even at that modest speed and that they're only going to release higher-speed models when they absolutely have to. If I'm reading this situation correctly, K10 must be capable of some wicked IPC's.

AMD just needs to release something already as their very future as a company depends on it. I want K10 to be a success, not because I'm an AMD fanboy, but because I want the continuing competition to keep prices down.

I'll be watching. (And with a snap of his fingers, Q now disappears in a flash of light.:) )
 Astrotoy7
08-30-2007, 3:15 PM
agreed on all points Q. They like taking their merry time dont they :)

mtfbwya
 Negative Sun
08-30-2007, 7:57 PM
I think the merge between Ati and AMD has been taking its toll on this generation of releases (HD2k GPUs and AM2+/3 CPUs), even though I think the 2900XT looks sweeter than any of the NVidia ones, on paper anyways, I'm aware there have been some driver issues and OpenGL support isn't where it should be...

The whole Vista/DX10 coming wasn't helping for that matter either cause I think they would have wanted to sit that one out for a bit, but they had to release something to compete with the first wave of DX10 nVidia cards, and that they did!

I still think the current generation of AMD CPUs still is very good value for money, if you have enough RAM to back it up, it would take a lot of multitasking before even a X2 4800+ has to stretch some muscles and you would start to notice some lag...(mind you: I'm running an old-school Barton 2600+ here and I don't really get any CPU lag as far as I'm aware)
The only drawback of the CPUs seem to be the cache IMO, although I wouldn't know first hand ...

Anyways, looking forward to some more details on these as well as some more on the highly anticipated (in my book) Fusion.
 Astrotoy7
08-31-2007, 6:43 AM
.....Anyways, looking forward to some more details on these as well as some more on the highly anticipated (in my book) Fusion.
you think you're excietd about them! The home theater pc crowd are squriming in their plush home thater seats to see what'll happen with those. Unless intel answers, it will give AMD a massive slice of that market(who arent exactly averse to spending)

As for me, bring on the phenomenon !!

mtfbwya
 Negative Sun
08-31-2007, 7:36 AM
It'll be good for shuttle PCs and that as well, if they manage to get a CPU/GPU combo powerful enough to satisfy high-end gaming needs...
 Astrotoy7
08-31-2007, 10:53 AM
It'll be good for shuttle PCs and that as well, if they manage to get a CPU/GPU combo powerful enough to satisfy high-end gaming needs...

however they do it, cooling measures are going to be a hugely imnportant factor... I can only imagine that the GPU tech will be somwhat derivative from mobile GPUs... considering you can get the power of a 7950GX2 and soon 8800 on mobile platforms, I cant see it being an unfeasible task at all... the only change will be there will need to be some decent thermal measures to keep the darn things cool... Of course, AMDs fusion will feature their own(ATI) graphical processing architecture, so a G80 etc fusion processor is not on the cards.

I like the idea if CPU/GPU lying flat, as it would allow for a much smaller case.... Ive always toyed with the idea of using a gaming laptop mainboard in an ultra smallform case...but it would just be too expensive an experiment at this stage !

mtfbwya
 Negative Sun
09-03-2007, 6:33 PM
I like the idea if CPU/GPU lying flat, as it would allow for a much smaller case.... Ive always toyed with the idea of using a gaming laptop mainboard in an ultra smallform case...but it would just be too expensive an experiment at this stage !
Especially with current high-end GPUs being the massive size they are...

Water cooling seems to have become a bit more mainstream as some kits have become very easy to install and offer a very good cooling solution (very quietly, hello Media PC?) for Overclocked Quad-Cores, which is what I would put the Fusion in, heat generating wise...Because a CPU and GPU running at a couple of Gigs each so close together is bound to keep us all warm in a chalet in the Rockies unless we keep it on ice :)
 urluckyday
09-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Well, I think you die-hard AMD fans will be happy to know that for my next computer, I will be switching away from Intel for a while purely because the speed that I can get with AMD is greater for a lower price. The technology may be older, but I'd much rather get a 3.0 GHZ processor from AMD for the price of the 1.86 GHZ processor from Intel. I'll letchya know my comp. specs when I get it...but for now...this Intel junkie is going AMD for a few years...
 Negative Sun
09-05-2007, 5:28 AM
Mind you that the 3.0Ghz AMD one is probably a single core and the 1.86Ghz is probably a Core2Duo from Intel...I wouldn't base it purely on clock speed anyways, but between those two I would probably suggest the Intel one since it's ridiculously overclockable.

If you want to go for an AMD chip in the same category I suggest the Athlon 64 X2 series, cause it's dual core as well, a 3800+ or above should do the trick (I've got my eyes on the 4800+)

The L2 cache is a bit smaller than on the Intel ones (but TBH, I don't know much about L2 cache or whether or not it makes much of a difference), but they're in the same price range, make sure you go for the 65W version though as it will be cooler than the 89W version and it'll use less electricity ;)
 Astrotoy7
09-05-2007, 6:06 AM
Well, I think you die-hard AMD fans will be happy to know that for my next computer, I will be switching away from Intel for a while purely because the speed that I can get with AMD is greater for a lower price. The technology may be older, but I'd much rather get a 3.0 GHZ processor from AMD for the price of the 1.86 GHZ processor from Intel. I'll letchya know my comp. specs when I get it...but for now...this Intel junkie is going AMD for a few years...

Please dont fall for the Megagertz myth...that has been debunked long ago... if youve noticed - Intel and AMD have stopped naming their chips according to their clockspeeds... A c2d 1.8Ghz or x2 2.2 outperform a p4 3.0Ghz in many ways...

A current gen x2dual core 3.0GHz is a different story - but they are quite pricey :)

mtfbwya
Page: 1 of 1