Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Favorite Ancient Civilization

Page: 1 of 1
 CLONECOMMANDER501
06-12-2007, 9:01 PM
Ya, this thread may sound a bit stupid but here it goes: List your favorite ancient civilization[s]

Now here is the rules of this:

1. You can not list Middle age races

2. No racism or flaming!

3. If you list egypt, you must list what kingdom

4. If you state ANCIENT Greece, you must say if was after or before alexander

Alright, here I go:

My favorite race is the Romans: Why? I'm roman catholic and the romans conquered one of the biggest empires and kept it for almost 1,000 years. It took massive factors to bring down the empire. And because people thought it was a good idea to take down the Romans, that lead to the Dark ages.
 Jae Onasi
06-12-2007, 10:06 PM
If I can't have the Middle Ages (and your history trivia--the time period after the fall of Rome is now called the Early Middle Ages rather than the Dark Ages), then I'm going to pick the Middle East around 25-30 AD. You have Roman civilization, still have the influence of Greek civilization, trade with other cultures farther East, and Christ. What's not to love? :)
 Jedi Atomic
06-13-2007, 2:06 PM
Spartans
 CLONECOMMANDER501
06-13-2007, 3:57 PM
Spartans are considered Ancient greeks.

At Jae^

There were many Eastern kingdoms, Parthia[the remainder of the persians], Armenia, Even the greeks[aka Hellenistic Syria or Seleucid Empire]
 Jedi Atomic
06-13-2007, 4:17 PM
I agree with Jae too. Shes probably pointing out all the empires in the years 25 -30 A.D. in the general area of the Middle East. They did have a major amount of power during their times, near to the Romans just less land. I'm sure they could have defeated the Romans if they attacked their lands.
 CLONECOMMANDER501
06-13-2007, 9:13 PM
Attack Rome itself? They would of needed to go through Greece first, and we all know what happened at Thermopolyae. Plus, Rome kept Parthia at bay and allied with Armenia to get rid of Parthia. The Eastern empires used light infrantry and cavalry, totally useless on Rome's lands.
 Sabretooth
06-13-2007, 11:33 PM
The Indian Civilization. They were damned intelligent, sexy, philosophical and peaceful. They rivaled the Greeks on every level possible and were friends with just about every civilization there is, especially the Persian Civilization. A large regiment of Indian soldiers also marched with Xerxes at Thermopylae :p

Also, India was the home of a number of philosophies, zero, two religions (which spawned several off-shoots) and much, much more.
 CLONECOMMANDER501
06-14-2007, 6:30 PM
The mayans made 0..................
 hellhawk
09-25-2007, 11:00 PM
OHHH SO MANY CIVILIZATIONS TO CHOOSE! oh oh how about the spartens! they ROCK. or maybe like vikings or oh i dont know
 Ctrl Alt Del
10-06-2007, 2:33 PM
My favorite race is the Romans: Why? I'm roman catholic and the romans conquered one of the biggest empires and kept it for almost 1,000 years. It took massive factors to bring down the empire. And because people thought it was a good idea to take down the Romans, that lead to the Dark ages.

I'm going with the romans too, for all the reasons you listed except that even if I'm Roman Catholic, this has nothing to do with it. You may also add that them, together with the Greeks, determined the culture of all western civilizations to come. The Romans, incidentally, are also the reason as to why Christianism is so spread through the globe.

What you mean, your favorite "race"? :smash:

A large regiment of Indian soldiers also marched with Xerxes at Thermopylae

You were lucky Alexander died, you were the next on his hit list. Otherwise, there would be several cities named after him. ;)
 TripHammer
10-12-2007, 6:02 PM
Mongolian Empire... Genghis Kahn has always been a favorite of mine.
 Pho3nix
10-12-2007, 7:15 PM
Ancient Greece and ancient Egypt, New Kingdom.
 Jvstice
10-12-2007, 7:47 PM
Pre Alexander greece. They invented most of the logical and mathematical concepts in western society today. They invented the whole concept of Jury trials, democracy, as well as the idea of the republic. Sparta rose out of greece of this era, and it was them that fought Persia to a standstill. Greece of this era was not expansionistic on the whole, before they were corrupted by the whole conquer the world, and Aristotle/Plato also came from this era.

Besides, the roman empire had no culture of their own. They were merely copiers and transmitters of greek culture.
 Rinku
01-16-2008, 1:42 PM
Pre Alexander Greece is a possibility (Favorite city-state is Sparta)

But I Have to say that it is hard to decide between the Mongolians and the Celts. So I will have to say Celts because I am Scottish, German, English, Portuguese, French, Spanish, Irish and Italian.
 Ctrl Alt Del
01-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Scottish, German, English, Portuguese, French, Spanish, Irish and Italian.
Missed any european nationality?
 Sabretooth
01-26-2008, 10:06 PM
You were lucky Alexander died, you were the next on his hit list. Otherwise, there would be several cities named after him. ;)
When he reached India, he gave up because he was suffering internal revolts, supply transport problems and such. He gave up and settled for administrating his empire, which he wasn't so good at. He got drunk and fat and tried to war again, but was hacked to pieces before he could try anything.

Source - Sabretooth's History of the Sinful and Outright Silly Race of Humans, Volume XIII
 Ctrl Alt Del
01-27-2008, 7:37 AM
Sabrez, actually you're right. Only a handful tried to war India. What would happen if he had all of his all mighty phalanx power against them... Well, elephants are difficult to control when on a sea of spears.

Just one thing, in the end, it wasn't war that killed Alexander.
 Rev7
01-27-2008, 1:43 PM
4. If you state ANCIENT Greece, you must say if was after or before alexander
If you say after Alexander, that means while he is still living?

Anyways, I choose Ancient greek as one of my favortites because Alexander the Great was a strong warrior. Great battle tactics. Thats honestly the only reason I like that Ancient culture.
 Ctrl Alt Del
01-27-2008, 1:50 PM
If you say after Alexander, that means while he is still living?
Probably. Don't we say 2008 BC and 2008 AC? Kinda like, "After Christ".
 Rev7
01-27-2008, 2:07 PM
Its actually "AD" After death. Regardless...
 Jedi Atomic
01-27-2008, 4:37 PM
so what was the time period called while Christ was alive or after being born, those 30 something years? :/
 Rev7
01-27-2008, 5:14 PM
I have no idea. That is why I asked about the Alexander thing. :/
Page: 1 of 1