Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

TFU for PC?

Page: 1 of 4
 RC-1162
06-04-2007, 3:18 PM
Does anyone feel the game should or will possibly be released on the PC anytime soon? I believe its too good a game for them not to spend the little extra cash into developing a PC version, since a LOT of gamers prefer the PC over consoles. If anybody gets any news about a PC version please post it here.

Why exactly did they not want to develop a PC version up front? Was it anything related to costs? Or something else?
 Diego Varen
06-04-2007, 3:35 PM
While it would be good for PC, I prefer consoles, since there is no worry of crashing, etc. I suppose that Lucas should make it for PC though, since there more money could be made for LucasArts.
 Gargoyle King
06-04-2007, 3:42 PM
Does anyone feel the game should or will possibly be released on the PC anytime soon? I believe its too good a game for them not to spend the little extra cash into developing a PC version, since a LOT of gamers prefer the PC over consoles. If anybody gets any news about a PC version please post it here.

Why exactly did they not want to develop a PC version up front? Was it anything related to costs? Or something else?

It probably wouldn't be cost-efficient for LA to do so anyway - people would need a very high-end spec computer to probs even run the game; a high-end spec comp that generally people can't afford or are unwilling to afford.
 stoffe
06-04-2007, 3:45 PM

From what I remember one of the developer said that they weren't doing a PC version since the average PC wasn't powerful enough to handle the game. Sounds a bit odd to me since they do a PS2 version which isn't exactly state of the art hardware by now (even though the average PC owner hardly have the monster hardware some of the newer games today tend to require). I don't remember where I read that though, so take it with a grain of salt. :)

I'd guess it's probably easier and cheaper to develop for consoles as well since you know what hardware the player will have, and console makers often give extensive support to developers working on a product for their platform. Games, especially highly anticipated ones, often tend to sell better for consoles than for PC as well. Perhaps not too surprising since a good gamer PC can be prohibitively expensive in comparison, even though you can use it for much more in addition to playing games.

Kind of ironic in a way that the rapid advances of the PC hardware manufacturers and subsequent high requirements of many PC games are killing the viability of the PC platform as a gaming market. :)

I hope they eventually reconsider and do a PC version though since STFU looks very interesting from what I've seen so far. It would be a shame to not be able to play it.
 RC-1162
06-04-2007, 3:56 PM
^
Agreed. Although, having played several games on my friends' PS2 systems, I personally feel a PC game is easier to handle, since there are much more mappable keys. Won't TFU have many different functions, powers, actions, etc? How will they map all that into a single controller?
 Jamps
06-04-2007, 3:56 PM
Gargoyle_King and stoffe are right, there minimum specs required to run the game would be too great for the average PC user. (I remember hearing one of the developers say that.)

Personally, I would love to play it on the PC. I hope they reconsider.
 Titanius Anglesmith
06-04-2007, 4:45 PM
As I've said before, if the PS2, PSP, and DS can handle a less "amped" version of TFU, so can practically any PC. They need to think before they say things about how only next-gen consoles can handle the new engines, when they can clearly release a less advanced version of it (no DMM or Euphoria or anything else of the sort) for PCs.

Besides, they are completely wrong about how only next-gen consoles can handle the new engines. Look at games like Crysis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crysis) and tell me if that looks any worse than TFU.
 CLONECOMMANDER501
06-04-2007, 5:18 PM
If they think its too powerful why did they bother making Empire At War.
 Emperor Devon
06-04-2007, 7:13 PM
If there will be a PC version we probably won't be hearing about it for a while. Most games are ported to different platforms months or years after release. :(

If they think its too powerful why did they bother making Empire At War.

EaW's graphics aren't really that spectacular. That and the fact there hadn't been a SW RTS since Battlegrounds gave it a pretty good market.
 Negative Sun
06-04-2007, 7:16 PM
From what I remember one of the developer said that they weren't doing a PC version since the average PC wasn't powerful enough to handle the game. Sounds a bit odd to me since they do a PS2 version which isn't exactly state of the art hardware by now (even though the average PC owner hardly have the monster hardware some of the newer games today tend to require). I don't remember where I read that though, so take it with a grain of salt. :)
Totally agree stoffe...It was posted here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=178887) btw, so no grains of salt need to be taken ;)
 Jeff
06-04-2007, 8:06 PM
I would like to see a PC version, but I'm almost sure that they have said they will not be developing one as stoffe stated.
 Negative Sun
06-04-2007, 8:07 PM
I blame Bill Gates for this!
 Char Ell
06-04-2007, 9:07 PM
As I've said before, if the PS2, PSP, and DS can handle a less "amped" version of TFU, so can practically any PC. They need to think before they say things about how only next-gen consoles can handle the new engines, when they can clearly release a less advanced version of it (no DMM or Euphoria or anything else of the sort) for PCs. Yeah, I think they could find a better way to phrase their response to the "Why isn't LA making a PC version of TFU?" question. My question to you though is would you (or any PC gamer) be satisfied with playing a PC version of TFU without DMM or euphoria or with dumbed down versions of those technologies? I'm thinking that is what the PS2 and handheld console versions of TFU are going to get and as for myself I wouldn't be satisfied if a PC version of TFU had inferior graphics to the PS 3 and Xbox 360.
Besides, they are completely wrong about how only next-gen consoles can handle the new engines. Look at games like Crysis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crysis) and tell me if that looks any worse than TFU.I think you're comparing two different things here. You'll need a DirectX 10 graphics card to get the full experience out of Crysis. DX 10 cards have been out less than a year. IIRC the Xbox 360 uses a graphics API based on DX 9. Remember the PS 3 and Xbox 360 were designed to support multi-threaded games and can process 6 or more threads at a time. Most PC's out there only support 1 or 2 threads. However without knowing what LucasArts came up with as a minimum spec for a PC version of TFU then I think it's hard to say they've got it completely wrong.

I'm very disappointed LucasArts isn't developing TFU for PC. It sounds like this is going to be a great story that bridges the time between Eps. III and IV. I hope they do end up porting it to PC at some point the road but think this isn't likely as LucasArts hasn't released a game for platforms it wasn't originally announced for in quite some time.
 Titanius Anglesmith
06-04-2007, 9:38 PM
My question to you though is would you (or any PC gamer) be satisfied with playing a PC version of TFU without DMM or euphoria or with dumbed down versions of those technologies?
If I knew for a fact that LA would never release a PC version of TFU with all the advanced technologies, I would gladly settle for a dumbed down version. At least I would be able to play the game. Obviously, it wouldn't be nearly as fun, but it should be just as good as the JK series, which I happen to like very much.

It's just not worth the $400-$600 that it takes to buy a next-gen console to have the ability to play one game.
 Sabretooth
06-05-2007, 12:08 AM
I would definitely want it for the PC, being a PC-exclusive gamer myself. But I know that the prospects are ridiculously low.
 Thor the Bassis
06-05-2007, 4:32 AM
LA won't release a dumbed down version - they'd have to re do the whole engine practically and it would definitely detract from the ability to smash everything up and do all the cool things with the environment and force. It also wouldn't be cost effective to re do the engine the worse gameplay in the new engine would mean it wouldn't actually sell as well.

I think the main problem isn't graphics - its processing the effects the force has on the environment which basically means releasing two different games - one with all the sub processes for throwing people through walls and moving the environment around - and one without.

Graphics are too overrated in games nowadays - we all know the best games we end up going back to are good stories and gameplay - thats why classic games stay (x-wing vs tie fighter?).

As for new gen I think with the release of Halo 3 later this year and Force Unleashed next year I might buy in just after Christmas when the price will proberably be lowest and go for an Xbox 360 (better and cheaper).
 slornie
06-05-2007, 6:43 AM
i would like to see it released on PC, maybe they will sometime after the initial release on consoles, give people time to update PCs, when they have got some money in from it to invest in a port
 Negative Sun
06-05-2007, 9:17 AM
LA won't release a dumbed down version
They are (http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed/)

It's being developed by someone else though, which is even more confusing cause they might as well ask someone else to do the development for the PC, even if it is Obsidian lol
 RC-1162
06-05-2007, 10:42 AM
The link doesn't mention anything about a dumbed down version. Am I not looking hard enough?
 Jeff
06-05-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm guessing he means the PS2 and portables version, since theres no way it will be able to function the same as the next-gen console versions.
 Negative Sun
06-05-2007, 11:02 AM
^ Yep

It's called reading between the lines (aka common sense) ;)

A PS2 version would be more than doable on any of today's mid to top range PCs...
Why not make it with the ability to turn off certain features even? Like so many other PC games do (KotOR for example, my PC can run it, which is all I need, but I've yet to play it on a system that can run it with every setting maxed out)
 Gargoyle King
06-05-2007, 6:34 PM
EaW's graphics aren't really that spectacular. That and the fact there hadn't been a SW RTS since Battlegrounds gave it a pretty good market.

:lol: The only decent RTS game to come out on the SW market, other attempts such as Galactic Battlegrounds & Force Commander were pretty shabby to say the least....
 Jae Onasi
06-06-2007, 9:48 AM
If they have to code the game on a computer before they ever create the different platforms, and it works on their own computers, which admittedly probably have high end hardware, I don't understand why they can't use that for a PC version.
 RC-1162
06-06-2007, 1:16 PM
Is it absolutely necessary for high end graphics? I mean, something on the average level of KotOR or whatever would be totally acceptable by majority of PC gamers, right?

:lol: The only decent RTS game to come out on the SW market, other attempts such as Galactic Battlegrounds & Force Commander were pretty shabby to say the least....
While I haven't played EaW, I have played Battlegrounds and loved it. It's not at all shabby, IMO.
 Thor the Bassis
06-07-2007, 8:27 AM
I dont think the graphics are the issue. I agree graphics aren't necessary and if it was simply re doing the graphics I think they'd release it for PC.

Although they are programming the game on computers they are extremely high end computers as all programmers use for new gen - this means its not that it wont work on computers its just there are only a few people in the world who can afford a computer that will run it. The engine has been designed for the processor of Xbox 360 and PS3. No computer owned by a gamer can run as many threads and processes as the new gen consoles and so the computer wouldn't be able to run the basic engine. Its like not being able to do the maths - it doesn't matter what numbers there are if you dont know the method then you can't work it out. It would mean computers catching up with new gen to be able to run it (10 years, 20 years or if your serious invest in a massive computer that has the capability to run all sorts of console disks - basically the computers they're using to program it).

If you think about it to work out the physics of a person flying through the air and crashing through three walls all of which cause the person to spin in a different way and speed then the basics are pretty hard even without the textures.
 Negative Sun
06-08-2007, 7:06 PM
Point missed, it's still being done for the PS2, which can be rivaled by any mainstream computer with a decent GPU nowadays...
 CLONECOMMANDER501
06-08-2007, 9:44 PM
If there will be a PC version we probably won't be hearing about it for a while. Most games are ported to different platforms months or years after release. :(

Ehem

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k219/CLONECOMMANDER50/EAWTerrainEditor2007-04-2008-41-24-.jpg)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k219/CLONECOMMANDER50/swfoc2007-02-0319-57-17-03.jpg)
 Ctrl Alt Del
06-08-2007, 9:53 PM
It's fate. Some games are just not worth the trouble of releasing on another console (the PC, that would be). A lot of money is wasted on the conversion, and the developers and distributor even have to pay a tax for it. They don't think that the normal PC player would have that playing style (They think, is it true, I wonder?).
 Gargoyle King
06-10-2007, 5:31 PM
It's fate. Some games are just not worth the trouble of releasing on another console (the PC, that would be). A lot of money is wasted on the conversion, and the developers and distributor even have to pay a tax for it. They don't think that the normal PC player would have that playing style (They think, is it true, I wonder?).

Yes it's not just graphics that have to be addressed, it's porting for a start which is always an expensive business and porting would require a complete refigurement of the controls to fit the format and parts o the game would have to be redesigned (control tutorials etc). making the initial game project more time-consuming and expensive. I think this is the key reason why LA decided not to release for PC, as they weighed out the pros & cons of doing so and the cons came out on top.

@ all the people who only play PC & Console haters (i play PC & Console); you'll have to get over the fact that TFU is not coming out for PC and probably won't ever come out for the PC so you'll have to deal with it, be stubborn and stick to PC (thus missing out this obvious great gaming opportunity) or you can atleast conform to playing consoles to experience it, it's your choice. At the end of the day you don't own LA and thus LA will do as they see fit with their license, period.
 MachineCult
06-10-2007, 6:06 PM
Ehem

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k219/CLONECOMMANDER50/EAWTerrainEditor2007-04-2008-41-24-.jpg)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k219/CLONECOMMANDER50/swfoc2007-02-0319-57-17-03.jpg)

You haven't played enough games if you think that those are spectacular graphics.

I'm glad that it isn't coming out on the PC because then I won't be tempted to buy it instead of on the Xbox.
 PoiuyWired
06-12-2007, 5:15 AM
Well) The control refitting would be quite minimal really. Since the Input button is configurable (I sure hope so). And the tutorial... well, its remapping of a few text.

Its like looking into the files of ps2/whatever tutorial on your PC. The files are there, just that they are not shown, with dialogue changes.

As for graphics. Yes I can see the problem here for a bit. Since console for some reason does not usually give you the liberty of changing graphics quality. Well, mostly not, I have seen a few games that is friendly enough allowing turning on/off of cool effects, so I can shut off some of them when I get really tired of it, usually those uber heatwave effects and annoying screen-shakes from fps types.
 CraZy_B
06-16-2007, 12:22 PM
If they wanted PC gamers to buy it they would have to make a lot more settings, like medium and low quality models, textures, effects, terrain etc. to make it more accessible. That takes a lot of time, they almost have to redo the whole game again.
It wouldn't be hard really, just time consuming. They go for the profit$.

I have an Xbox360 and will probably get it for the story but I don't really have high hopes otherwise. No console game has delivered such fun experiences as my PC has so far.
 PoiuyWired
06-17-2007, 2:15 PM
Well, if they release them a year later then most non-gimp computers would be up to par. They just need to set options to allow for even better effects then, no need fo the new downgrade options.
 Gargoyle King
06-17-2007, 4:00 PM
No console game has delivered such fun experiences as my PC has so far.Well perhaps the best games ever crafted are PC games and some of the best console games out there are just ports of their PC counterparts so PC games do definately have a major stance in the game industry (i tend to play both console & PC however, get the best of both worlds ;) )
 PoiuyWired
06-18-2007, 3:17 PM
Super Smash Brothers, Original Mario Brothers, pong, Bio Hazard, Monster Hunters, KoF/StreetFighter Series, most decent shoot'em'ups etc

What PC Ports?

I mean, Both PC and console have some really darn nice games, in different ways. I would love to see nice PC port of TFU, partly cause I like semi fps control to be Keyboard and Mouse And BECAUSE OF MODS!!! :)
 CraZy_B
06-22-2007, 7:42 AM
 Char Ell
06-22-2007, 9:59 AM
Interesting. IMO this is likely a goof by Amazon UK. Notice they still have the game's release date as November 30, 2007. It's been known for at least 3 months that the game was pushed out to Spring 2008. The Force Unleashed for PC sure would be nice to have though...
 Jeff
06-22-2007, 11:47 AM
I agree, its probably a mistake on their part.
 RC-1162
06-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Why don't someone try ordering it? :D
 Sabretooth
06-23-2007, 5:11 AM
While I haven't played EaW, I have played Battlegrounds and loved it. It's not at all shabby, IMO.

Its shabbiness lies in the fact that it is nothing more than a Star Wars flavoured AoE2 rip-off. I mean, I've never seen a game rip-off another as much as Battlegrounds.
 PoiuyWired
06-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Its more like a "game patch for AoE" than a rip off. Yes it is that deprived of any originality whatsoever. Well, the story may be nice I will give you that. I mean, good to see a DarkSide Chiss Lady.
 HappyMojo
06-28-2007, 2:26 PM
I'm upgrading my PC hardware for Crysis near its release date, and I think that a lot of people will do the same. So I guess that the hardware requirements wouldn't be a hurdle for me if a PC-version of TFU became available.

Also, if you look a few years back, people upgraded for HL2 and Doom3 (including me). So get the ******* game on the PC market ;)
 DarthKalEl
07-12-2007, 9:21 PM
I don’t know, but if quad core CPU, 4 GB of memory and 8XXX NVIDIA graphic isn’t enough for TFU, what is? I just can’t believe that PS3 and XB360 are so much more powerful that that
 Cometer
07-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Gargoyle_King and stoffe are right, there minimum specs required to run the game would be too great for the average PC user. (I remember hearing one of the developers say that.)

Personally, I would love to play it on the PC. I hope they reconsider.

It probably wouldn't be cost-efficient for LA to do so anyway - people would need a very high-end spec computer to probs even run the game; a high-end spec comp that generally people can't afford or are unwilling to afford.

From the posts I have read it seams to me many people don't realize how powerful a mid-range PC is today. And by mid-range I'm talking about a PC that you could get today for about $600

As a side note I have considered buying a console before. There are quite a few console exclusive games I'm looking forward to see when they're out (Killzone 2 trailer caught may attention indeed)

So with that let me state a few things, that may interest people thay may want to make a good discussion in that we all can leave a bit more clarified in terms of what a reasonable priced PC and a console can do, and reply in this thread with whatever thoughts they may have..

First of. Today you can get a Core 2 Duo E6320 with 1GB of ram and a Geforce 8500 for as low as $670

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/sp3.asp?v=d)

First of. Just so you know the RECOMMENDED PC requirements for a game such as Gears of War are expected to be on par with the requirements for Unreal Tournament 3

Gears of War is regarded as being one of the games that push the X360 power. so just as a compare to what are the requirements needed on a PC for that level of detail (and take into count that the PC version will have improved textures, DX10 support and so on)

http://unreal.freakygaming.com/pc/action/unreal_tournament_3/system_requirements.html)

CPU: 3-4Ghz
RAM: 1024MB
Graphics: NVIDIA 6800GT/Ultra or 7800GT/GTX SLI

AND just so you know they are referring to SINGLE CORE hardware.

Another good example Oblivion. both on the PS3 and X360

Just so you guys know in the X360 and PS3 Oblivion runs at 720p.
Or 1280x720
http://games.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1041/The-Elder-Scrolls-IV-Oblivion/)

Now for instance what can we do in a PC?
Just check the link bellow...
this article is from April 2006. back then a high end hardware was something like
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_high-end_performance/page3.asp)
AMD Athlon 64 FX-57
ATI Radeon X1800

One could in a resolution of 1280x1024 run a game with this hardware at a higher resolution with no frame rate problems.
And this is with hardware from 2006

Now with this $600 hardware you can run Oblivion with the latest updates that gets on par if not better than the PS3 version at about 90 fps
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/sp3.asp?v=d)

as an example
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795&p=16)
The Core 2 Duo E6300 is running the game at 1600x1200 AT 50 FPS
an even higher resolution

This is a one game example.

You can do a search on the web and you'll see that almost every console game ported to the PC comes with better graphics AND today you can get a better experience than on the consoles for a reasonable price.

Then just the above facts mean that a pretty normal PC today can handle xbox 360 games without any problems.

IF Star Force Unleashed is coming out for the Xbox 360 there is NO reason why a mid-range PC couldn't handle it

The fact is. There are big companies that make deals with the devs to hype they're consoles.
 PoiuyWired
07-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Well, other than posaable interventions of lowlife like $ony, I have to say that it would be much easier to release the game for a fre consoles first. The testing and such will be easier, since all consoles of the same type would have almost identical specs.

So if anything the game being released on console first would be a reasonable choice, PC version (if any) would be done later, possably with time allowing for some tweaks, and competability problem that may arise for the pc.

We all know that if the pc version is released first instead we would most probably not buy the console version once we get the pc one, but the reverse may not be true. I would still buy the pc version if it is released later(assuming the game is good), if anything... mods.... hmmm

Obviously, we would hope to see the game released in pc, we KNOW it will work, I mean if the game is ok for something called PS2, which is nothing close to nex-gen whatsoever, then tweaking it for PC should be easy. Hack, there might be workable emulators (by the time) that will run the game if it is not released as a pc version.

Point, please release a PC version, cause we know any semi-decent gamer's pc is going better than a PS2.
 A_Darkfire
07-15-2007, 9:33 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see a PC version in a year or so after the console release. Their comment on the PC not being up to it is really, really odd. Multiple cores in all the current generation CPUs, single graphic cards that can run Oblivion with all the trimmings @ 1280 x 1024, and both ATi and Nvidia rapidly changing their cards into GPGPUs to add some serious physics processing.

However maybe another year would help the average...

Since I don't own a XBox 360 or a PS3 I doubt very much I'll get this game unless it does come out on the PC and frankly there just isn't enough on either console that interests me or isn't coming out on the PC anyway to make me buy one...
 Shadow Talon
07-20-2007, 11:31 AM
It seems to me that this isn't about that the PC cant handle it. I believe it can. This is about money. Example: Halo 2
Yes not the same company but remember what Windows did. They released it for X-box first. Do you know why? Money. As we all know Halo IS and ALWAYS WILL be a PC GAME.
And yet they did what they did because of marketing.
Halo: Combat Evolved was such a good game I wanted a sequel, very badly. Many magazines saed Halo:CE was much better on PC then on consoles. The game was so good that a world mass hysteria erupted when a sequel was announced. On X-box. So a mass of people bought X-box because of Halo 2. I didn't because I knew they will release a PC version in a year or so.
And so I waited. And waited. Until it came playable ONLY ON WINDOWS VISTA!!!!
And so I had to wait for Vista now. And you know what? VISTA SUX! 10X!
And now i have to w8 for a better Vista.
In the meantime I have to fight against the urge to find out what happens in the end. (DON'T YOU DARE MAKE A SPOILER TAG!)
I am assuming the same thing will happen to TFU, that it will be playable on PCs in a year or so, and then they will do something nasty witch I cant say on Internet.
I sure hope this does not happen.
 DemonKing
07-23-2007, 1:01 AM
There is no good reason this title can't be released on PC except to make Lucasarts more money through exclusivity deals with M$ and Sony.

It's quite possible a PC version will be released 12 months or so after the consle version.

It'll probably be labelled as a "Special Edition" and feature of bunch of minor stuff not in the console release...
 PoiuyWired
07-23-2007, 7:58 AM
And hmmm... Mods :)
 Shadow Talon
07-23-2007, 6:17 PM
You got that right cowboy ;)
Page: 1 of 4