Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

CPU TEMP SURVEY! Please Help ! :)

Page: 1 of 1
 Astrotoy7
05-31-2007, 1:28 PM
Ok techs... Can you give me a hand !??

use the app of your choice, everest/pc wizard/fanspeed etc to get some numbers on your CPU temp and post here plz. Astro is gathering data.

Can you please report in degrees Celsius... here is a easy to use convertor (http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm) if you need it:

Can you also please use the format Ive reported. Between some comp engineer student friends and I - we are gathering 1000+ samples. Any trends identified will help determine the direction of a research paper re thermal management efficacy for end users in daily context.

Dual core users:
No need to give individual core temps. If all you have are two cores temps, give an average.

Definitions:
Idle: on, no processes...not even browsing min 10 mins
Working: active over 20+ mins gaming, encoding etc

PC1: Home theater pc. Measured via xpc tools
CPU: Intel Pentium D 2.8 Dual core on windows vista ultimate 32bit
Idle: 56C
Working 62C context : encoding HDTV to avi
ICE propietary heatsink cooler in smallform case.

PC2: Kids PC. Everest
CPU: AMD Athlon 3200+ on win xp pro 32 bit
Idle: 35C
Working 45C context: streaming video from server
stock cooling in standard tower case

PC3: Gaming PC. Everest
CPU: AMD Athlon x2 5000+ on windows vista ultimate 32bit
Idle: 28C
Working 38C context: gaming
stock cooling in smallform case

PC4: Media Server. Everest
CPU: AMD Athlon 3800+ on windows home server beta CTP build 1340
Idle: 32C
Working : 43C Context, multidirectional file transfer and media streaming
stock cooling in nano-itx tower

Thats it for me :)

Thanks in advance !!

mtfbwya
 Astrotoy7
06-01-2007, 2:39 AM
lolz.... bump - cmon. I know a few of you should be able to get some numbers up for a poor old man like me :violin:

Free George Lucas beard clippings for the first 10 entries :D
(now theres an incentive!)

mtfbwya
 Negative Sun
06-01-2007, 6:53 PM
My only PC, using PC Wizard 2007
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (runs at 1916MHz)
Idle: 61.5C
Working: 67C with stock cooling (Encoding 707 MB worth of video material from mp4 to avi and doing a full virus scan, 100% CPU load according to PC Wizard, been running for 20 mins)
 stoffe
06-01-2007, 8:02 PM
My PC (EVEREST)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ running Windows XP Home SP2
Idle: 27єC
Working: 35єC (encoding movie, playing another movie, photoshopping 250 MB image, firefox with annoying flash thing loaded)
Normal fan cooling in standard case

(Don't know if EVEREST properly reads the sensors though, those temperatures seem too low, in particular since the Environment sensor on the Radeon card reports 36єC idle and around 40єC at (non-game) load.)
 stingerhs
06-01-2007, 10:55 PM
My PC - using PC Wizard 2007
CPU: AMD AthlonXP 3200+ Barton Core overclocked @ 2600MHz (1.75 V)
Idle Temp: 44C
Full Load: 49C (encrypting and compressing 400MB of data with WinRAR)
Thermaltake Volcano Fan/Heatsink combo for cooling in a mid-tower
Note: i have seen this processor heat up just beyond 50C with the same settings after playing CPU intesive games such as Medieval 2: Total War for 6+ hours. however, i was unable to duplicate those results for an unknown reason.

Family PC using PC Wizard 2007
CPU: AMD AthlonXP 2600+ Thoroughbred @ stock clock (2133MHz)
Idle Temp: 39C
Full Load: 43C (same test as above, although considerably longer to complete, hehe)
Stock Cooler, also mid-tower case
 Char Ell
06-01-2007, 11:28 PM
My PC - measured using EVEREST Ultimate (trial version)
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 660, 3616 MHz on Windows XP Pro SP2
Idle: 39є C
Working: 56є C - context : playing SW KotOR II: TSL :D

I'm kind of surprised you didn't ask for the room temperature. I know my system runs 6-9є cooler than what I've posted in the winter. ;)
 Negative Sun
06-02-2007, 3:03 AM
Good point there cutmeister...I've noticed that myself as well.
 Astrotoy7
06-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks to all contributors !!

Yes, Cutmeister, I shouldve mentioned that room temp wasnt required as the variance between idle and working assume that room temp will be similar for both situations ;)

It is indeed an important factor of course, but the trends being spliced from the sample being generated will be basic variance trends only, and not - at this point - looking at the effect of ambient temp, ventilation etc. It'd be pretty spot on to say that any study design looking at the question of thermal management (in any context) would need to factor in those variables... There are actually a good handful of standardised outcome measures that thermoelectric engineers use to calculate these factors... which is exactly what my friends will eventually need to do :D

Im just helping collate some data :D

mtfbwya
 Negative Sun
06-02-2007, 4:25 PM
I should maybe buy a fridge to put my comp in...and store some beer in at the same time, multitasking rules!
 stingerhs
06-02-2007, 6:31 PM
^^^^
just watch out for the condensation. ;)
 CLONECOMMANDER501
06-02-2007, 11:02 PM
My Gaming and only comp has a bad fan so I can't really give an answer.
Page: 1 of 1