Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Deus Ex: Invisible War (spoiler warning)

Page: 1 of 1
 SilentScope001
05-29-2007, 2:16 PM
Hey, I got this game, and I like it. Really fun FPS with RP elements.

But I put this here because I got a question I need to answer.

I don't understand why the WTO decided not to release that nano-nite cure for the plague in Cario. Can anyone here explain? Thanks.
 igyman
05-29-2007, 2:38 PM
This is based purely on my recollection of the story - I think it's explained while you're still in Seattle - the WTO doesn't care much for the surfaces outside their enclaves, which is why they built and maintained their Arcology in Cairo and forgot about the rest of the city, just like it was in Seattle and in Chicago (only mentioned though, when Alex speaks about where he grew up).
 stoffe
05-29-2007, 3:08 PM
But I put this here because I got a question I need to answer.

I don't understand why the WTO decided not to release that nanite cure for the plague in Cairo. Can anyone here explain? Thanks.

Perhaps because it makes it more desirable to live in their enclaves despite the cost and regulations, compelling people to subject themselves to their laws and taxes? The WTO stands to profit from misery outside their enclaves since it brings in more people under their jurisdiction, making the enclaves desirable places to live for those who have the skill or the economic means to do so.

The WTO and the Order are two attempts to bring the world back under one system again, one economical and one religious. The Order traditionally caters to the poor and uneducated, while the WTO caters to the wealthy and educated.
 Trex
05-29-2007, 5:54 PM
Would have to more or less agree with the above post. Since the WTO and order are both aspects of the same power, I don't think they're too bothered about which side assists/abuses/controls the people, as long as one of them do and thereby sustain their system of control.

BTW, while we're on the subject of DE:IW, which ending did people choose?
 stoffe
05-29-2007, 6:07 PM
Would have to more or less agree with the above post. Since the WTO and order are both aspects of the same power, I don't think they're too bothered about which side assists/abuses/controls the people, as long as one of them do and thereby sustain their system of control.

* * * WARNING : ENDING SPOILERS AHEAD * * *

I didn't really like any of the endings, they all felt more or less like anticlimax to me. The Helios (you will be assimilated) and Illuminati (Dumier watches you in the shower) were the more tolerable ones, while the Templar (dark ages, version 2) and Omar (everyone else dies) endings felt like you had lost instead of won. :)

I tended to stick with the Helios ending when I played DX:IW a lot, at least the Dentons are "family" and Paul the only remotely likable character in the game, even though they want to turn the human race into a collective consciousness.

* * * WARNING : ENDING SPOILERS ABOVE * * *
 Sabretooth
05-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Like has been explained above me, the WTO wanted people to be living exclusively in their enclaves. That way, they purposefully made sure that they had everything that the outsiders didn't, and especially what the outsiders wanted. That way, they could attract more outsiders to live in there. Soon, they cut off connections with the outside world. As the two bums in Lower Seattle say, "The whole point of an enclave is to be self-sufficient."

The more people the WTO gets, the lesser the Order gets.
 igyman
05-30-2007, 4:32 PM
All of them. They were all cool, though the Templar and Omar endings were undoubtedly ''unhappy''.
 SilentScope001
05-31-2007, 12:57 AM
I like all of the endings, though my most favorite has to be the Templars. Pretty ironic that the only thing that brought about a religious dictatorship was the Devil himself. The second favorite was the Illuimanti.

EDIT: Hm. Ending I believe in? Has to be the Omar. As Sabertooth says: Anarchy owns.
 Sabretooth
05-31-2007, 10:42 AM
I chose the ApostleCorp ending. it didn't involve killing and it was the one I believed in. I actually played the whole game as myself, you know. My second favourite was the Omar ending - Anarchy owns. I hate the other two, though. They were good, I just don't believe in them.
 SilentScope001
06-12-2007, 8:27 PM
Sorry for the bump, but I guess I want to sort out some philosphical problems I have with the ApostleCorp ending.

Basically, if I know correctly, Helios will end up linking all humans together into a perfect democracy, where everyone can vote.

Nice idea, until you realize that includes the Omar and the Illuimanti (as well as the Illuimanti's pawns, the Order and the WTO, who most people support). Even the self-loathing Templars and Luminos Saman has a voice, and will use this voice to try and get Helios to turn itself off. And what about the mentally insane? They too have a voice in Helios, and these insane people could affect Helios' desicion. Aren't they human too?

And if these crazy and "evil" (for a certain definition of evil) people form a huge voting bloc, could they manage to sway Helios to their own desires?

Is it possible this is how they will combine all 4 endings? Helios gets activated and fuse with all the human race, and ends up combining all of aims of the other factions of the Human Race.
 Sabretooth
06-13-2007, 2:22 AM
If Montreal continues with Deus Ex 3, then they'll probably take that as an ending. But it should be noted that Helios is more than an electronic ballot box. If you played DX1, you'd have known that Helios has... well, ambitious goals. :p Regardless, let's look at the situation. It's the future, the mentally challenged will probably have been cured or exterminated. Also, the entire globe will be biotechnically united, so it's like having the internet in your brain. You can imagine the possibilities. Secondly, Helios will do anything to keep its power. The ApostleCorp ending is actually reminiscent of the Helios ending in DX1. To summarize, Helios wants to be a benevolent dictator, who will tap into the brains of people and co-ordinate the world as necessary, to ensure perfect harmony. This wasn't possible in DX1, because of what JC did and because nanotech was only a secret technology. Now in DX2, the task is possible and within reach, with biotech spread everywhere. So essentially, Helios is a democracy that listens to voices and does what is necessary without endangering its power. And don't forget that Helios has to have some sort of military (missiles and such) power. And don't even think of viruses, hacking, power shortages and stuff. This is 2071, dammit. :p
 SilentScope001
12-03-2007, 5:50 PM
OMG, OMG, UBER-PLOT TWIST FOUND!

Uh, did the Illuimanti in fact control the two Coffee stores fighting the Coffee Wars? I knew that they were both own by one company, but I thought the WTO is investigating it, maybe to blackmail, and maybe to shut down the evil corporation.

Wikipedia said so, but there seems to be no evidence to back that in the game.
 Sabretooth
12-03-2007, 9:52 PM
OMG, OMG, UBER-PLOT TWIST FOUND!

Uh, did the Illuimanti in fact control the two Coffee stores fighting the Coffee Wars? I knew that they were both own by one company, but I thought the WTO is investigating it, maybe to blackmail, and maybe to shut down the evil corporation.

Wikipedia said so, but there seems to be no evidence to back that in the game.
Yeah, I read that on Wikipedia, too. Honestly, I don't care, because the whole coffee shop wars were like just practice for picking the big corporations. Also, I don't see the whole point of the Illuminati controlling the world's largest competing coffee chains! Was the post-Collapse world so dependent on COFFEE?! :D
 SilentScope001
02-06-2008, 6:32 PM
Yet another realization:

If you ally with either the Templar or the Omar, Helios will sucidice itself so that JC Denton can be resurrectted and that you got to kill him another time.

But if you ally with the Illuimanti, Helios and JC Denton does...er...nothing.

Considering the fact that JC Denton worked with the Illuimanti in the past Deus Ex game, does this mean Helios secretly tolerates the Illuimanti dictatorship? Or at the least, the least of three evils.
Page: 1 of 1