Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Eidos to make Deus Ex 3

Page: 1 of 1
 Char Ell
05-20-2007, 2:59 AM
According to videogamesblogger.com (http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2007/05/18/deus-ex-3-sequel-will-be-developed-at-eidos.htm) Eidos will be making Deus Ex 3. I haven't played any of the Deus Ex games but I seem to recall there are some people here that like this game series. If you're one of those people them I'm sure this will interest you. :)

The article says that the director of Eidos France revealed this tidbit of info on a French language TV station and the game will be developed in a studio in Montreal that will open in September of this year.

IMO it seems like Eidos is jumping the gun to say they're making a game before the studio that is going to develop it is even set up. :smirk2:
 Sabretooth
05-20-2007, 4:41 AM
Wrong forum.

*Choke*

OMG, DEUS EX III!!!! But I thought Ion Storm went defunct! Who's taking up this one?! The guys making BioShock?

Eidos' new Montreal studio's doing it. I hope they don't screw it up, like IW.
 Char Ell
05-20-2007, 10:30 AM
^^^
:freakout: Criminy! You're right! Sorry, I meant to post in The Outlander's Club. Guess things like this happen when I post while trying to stave off the sandman. :p

If a mod would be so gracious as to move this thread and fix my mistake, I would be most appreciative. :)

Mod note: Done. :) ~M
 Rogue15
05-20-2007, 11:05 AM
nice....a shame though, i never got past that helicopter hanger in the 1st one. One of the coolest things about the game is you could pretty much do whatever you wanted...don't need to say any more. :)
 Sabretooth
05-20-2007, 11:14 AM
nice....a shame though, i never got past that helicopter hanger in the 1st one.

If you're talking 'bout the one in Hong Kong, then you've missed a lot of one hell of a good game, mate. :)
 stoffe
05-20-2007, 11:16 AM
The article says that the director of Eidos France revealed this tidbit of info on a French language TV station and the game will be developed in a studio in Montreal that will open in September of this year.

IMO it seems like Eidos is jumping the gun to say they're making a game before the studio that is going to develop it is even set up. :smirk2:

Deus Ex was a classic that I still dust off to play again every now and then. I just hope they can stick to the concept that made the original great and improve on that, and not continue down the path of dumbing down and streamlining the game they chose to take with Deus Ex:Invisible War (which still is a good game, but not as good as the original).

Perhaps some new blood working on it can help ensure that, provided that the people involved have played and liked the original back in the day.

I haven't played any of the Deus Ex games but I seem to recall there are some people here that like this game series.

You should, if you can still find them. Deus Ex is still a very good game, even with the dated graphics (using the Unreal 1 engine). Very fun RPG/FPS hybrid, with an impressive level of polish and attention to details.
 Arбtoeldar
05-20-2007, 1:42 PM
Since a console (360) is the primary focus like DE:IW (Xbox). I will more than likely skip this game.
 igyman
05-20-2007, 2:21 PM
I loved both parts of the game and I hope that the third, if made, will be as good as its predecessors.
 SilentScope001
05-21-2007, 7:14 AM
How would they handle the ending of Deus Ex 2? Will they ignore it? Come up with something canon? Or try to fuse all 4 endings together?
 Sabretooth
05-22-2007, 12:47 AM
How would they handle the ending of Deus Ex 2? Will they ignore it? Come up with something canon? Or try to fuse all 4 endings together?

They'll most likely fuse all four endings, like they did to Deus Ex. But they'll most likely

claim that whatever happened at Liberty Island is a mystery, and that many died there, on that day.
 Sabretooth
11-27-2007, 7:16 AM
 Corinthian
11-27-2007, 7:31 AM
Crap.

Deus Ex was awesome.

IW was mediocre.

So it's not unreasonable to suggest this will suck.
 stoffe
11-27-2007, 7:40 AM
Crap.

Deus Ex was awesome.

IW was mediocre.

So it's not unreasonable to suggest this will suck.

Neither is it entirely unreasonable to hope that they've listened to the criticism that was expressed about the changes made to Invisible War from the original Deus Ex concept and will attempt to steer the series back on track again. Miracles can happen. :)

I loved Deus Ex so I will remain hopeful that the sequel will be a worthy addition to the series until they prove me wrong.
 Serpentine Cougar
11-27-2007, 9:49 AM
How was the story in the first two games (never played 'em)? Do you think this new one will be as good or better?
 spawn613
11-27-2007, 7:57 PM
deus ex was the shiznit. i never played IW though, but my bro said it sucked. i still have the deus ex soundtrack that came with my collector's edition :D
 SilentScope001
11-27-2007, 9:07 PM
Well, the trailer at least was disappointing. I mean, why can't there be some in-game footage, or something revealing about the plot?
 Sabretooth
11-28-2007, 12:10 AM
How was the story in the first two games (never played 'em)? Do you think this new one will be as good or better?
How was the- How was the Story, you ask?!

Deus Ex had the best damned storyline I have seen in any video game to date, and the most damned immersive environment ever. The game's beauty was that it used beliefs, situations, information, dialogue and environment to create its world, as opposed to graphics and animation (which most modern games prefer).

Invisible War had a great story too, albeit not as good as its legendary predecessor.
The specialty about Deus Ex was that it changed your life and your perception of modern philosophy, and it gave you plenty to think about when you are not playing the game. Deus Ex is an experience. If you haven't played it, grab a copy in any way possible - it's the finest game ever made. :)

Problem is, we have no clue of how this game will turn out. The two big hurdles are: Ion Storm is not making it (and Warren Spector is not involved (the horror!) ) and that Montreal has been given a development cycle. Deus Ex, despite being a phenomenal game, is one where a better sequel is perfectly possible. Invisible War was a massive disappointment. I'm guessing that these guys have learned that, and will return to the original's roots (or at least, make a game as good as the first, similar or not).

Hell, I'd love it if they simply remade the original with modern graphics and animation (without touching the gameplay one bit). I'd pay and have man secks for that. :D

Well, the trailer at least was disappointing. I mean, why can't there be some in-game footage, or something revealing about the plot?
It is a teaser. ;)
 Gargoyle King
11-28-2007, 8:02 AM
YES!!
I was wondering when numero 3 was going to be developed, i can't wait! :D
 Arбtoeldar
11-28-2007, 2:33 PM
Warren Spector is not involved (the horror!)

You do realize that Warren was the lead director on the pile of steaming crap known as DE:IW.
 Gargoyle King
11-28-2007, 2:38 PM
You do realize that Warren was the lead director on the pile of steaming crap known as DE:IW.You didn't like Invisible War? Granted it wasn't as good as the superior original but IMO it wasn't all that bad.
 Arбtoeldar
11-28-2007, 2:57 PM
You didn't like Invisible War? Granted it wasn't as good as the superior original but IMO it wasn't all that bad.

I had no sympathy for the PC in DE:IW unlike JC Denton, the bland enemies, and the compromises made to make it both for the PC and X-box (Such as smaller areas, dumber AI).
 GeneralPloKoon
11-28-2007, 6:02 PM
Sadly, I call myself a gamer and haven't played Deus Ex, I know its a good game just I...I....sniffle. whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Wait, didn't Project: Snowblind take place in the Deus Ex universe???
 Sabretooth
11-29-2007, 1:45 AM
Wait, didn't Project: Snowblind take place in the Deus Ex universe???
It was supposed to be Deus Ex 3 first, then it was just supposed to take place in the universe, then they made it completely independent altogether.
 GeneralPloKoon
12-01-2007, 12:31 AM
well I liked that game alot!
 Serpentine Cougar
12-01-2007, 1:05 AM

Deus Ex had the best damned storyline I have seen in any video game to date, and the most damned immersive environment ever. The game's beauty was that it used beliefs, situations, information, dialogue and environment to create its world, as opposed to graphics and animation (which most modern games prefer).

Invisible War had a great story too, albeit not as good as its legendary predecessor.
The specialty about Deus Ex was that it changed your life and your perception of modern philosophy, and it gave you plenty to think about when you are not playing the game. Deus Ex is an experience. If you haven't played it, grab a copy in any way possible - it's the finest game ever made. :)
I guess I'll have to check it out then! :) Is it anything like Metal Gear Solid or System Shock?
 Sabretooth
12-01-2007, 8:03 AM
Is it anything like Metal Gear Solid or System Shock?
I don't know about MGS, but I've played some System Shock 2 at a friend's place, and it was rather similar to Deus Ex. DX, however concentrates more on the free-moving, lot-of-options and more-thinking aspect of RPGs, while SS2 takes more of the RPG mechanics. I'd say similar, in a way. :)

I has update: Deus Ex 3 will use the Tomb Raider: Legend engine (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50146)

I don't know if that is good or not, since I haven't played TR. But I still lament at not using a heavily modified version of the current Unreal engine (3) like the previous two games. :(
 Eiganjo
12-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Omg - I can't wait for a new DX to come out. I would even buy a console for that...even though I will quietly hope for it to be released on Pc too. I hope they go back to how the first game was, with skillpoints and all that...
 SilentScope001
12-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Deus Ex 3 is a prequel!

http://www.gamestooge.com/2007/12/05/deus-ex-3-a-prequel/)

Well, could be a prequel, but it does have more evidence than the standard "BASELESS SPEC!11!!"
 Sabretooth
12-06-2007, 1:23 AM
Deus Ex 3 is a prequel!

http://www.gamestooge.com/2007/12/05/deus-ex-3-a-prequel/)

Well, could be a prequel, but it does have more evidence than the standard "BASELESS SPEC!11!!"
Yeah, that ballot box confused me too. In Deus Ex (2052), biomodification appears to be a relatively new technology. How can a 'biopolitic" election be held almost 30 years prior, me asks. Is it about the mech-augmented peoples' isolation from society?

Still, I think its quite easy to meld the four endings of IW (the fifth was a penguin party!), if we say that The world plunged into another collapse, after a battle at Liberty Island - the participants and results of which, were never known. This also opens up for the whole "Tribe Wars" or whatever idea they had for Deus Ex 3 in the past.

A prequel is unlikely (hopefully), because nothing spectacularly cool got to happen before Deus Ex. We may be able to play as Paul, and trace his story, but that wouldn't actually help the overall storyline as a whole - therefore, not being worthy of being a true sequel/prequel.
 Char Ell
12-19-2007, 11:06 PM
Gamasutra paid a visit to Eidos Montreal in November and got some info about the status of Deus Ex 3's development but nothing about the game's story or content. <link> (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16714)

Some highlights
- The Deus Ex 3 team completed a 4 months proof-of-concept for the game in November.
- They expect the pre-production phase will take about 6 months.
- Deus Ex 3 is on a 24-month production timeframe. (which appears to mean this game will be released summer of 2009)
- They spoke with Warren Spector about the game though he wasn't able to actually participate in the game's development. They say he was very positive about their making Deus Ex 3 though.
- They feel they've really done their homework on the past two games so they can maintain the spirit and feel of Deus Ex.
 SilentScope001
12-20-2007, 9:29 AM
Sabretooth:

While that does sound interesting, and I would agree with you in the past, now, it doesn't seem like it actually merges the endings together.

If the world plunges into another Collaspe, then can't it be assumed the Omar won that battle on Liberty City (as that is what they desired), and the game takes place inbetween the Second Collaspe and the Omar's eventual rise to power following the endless wars?
 igyman
12-20-2007, 5:07 PM
What's all this bashing of Invisible War I'm seeing here? Well, I for one preferred it to the original, because it focused more on biomodification of your character than on those classic RPG skills. What I hated in the original was that you'd only find augmentations every now and then and that even when you've found them, you can't choose the ability, but instead get a pre-determined one. The story and the characters were great in both parts and the endings awesome.

As for Deus Ex 3, I will definitely get it when it's out, but I do hope it's not a prequel as it's being hinted at right now. Hopefully it will be a sequel with at least as good of a story as its predecessors.
 SilentScope001
12-20-2007, 6:24 PM
I could see some potential in a prequel, provided it focus on Bob Page. He might, MIGHT be an interesting person to play as, seeing his creation of the Majestic 12, and why he did what he did.

Maybe. I prefer a sequel, to be honest.
 Radish
12-22-2007, 6:23 PM
Neither is it entirely unreasonable to hope that they've listened to the criticism that was expressed about the changes made to Invisible War from the original Deus Ex concept and will attempt to steer the series back on track again. Miracles can happen. :)Given IW was, to my knowledge, a financial failure, one would certainly think Eidos has learned that butchering the Deus Ex franchise is not good for business.

Deus Ex had the best damned storyline I have seen in any video game to date, and the most damned immersive environment ever. The game's beauty was that it used beliefs, situations, information, dialogue and environment to create its world, as opposed to graphics and animation (which most modern games prefer).Well...

It definitely had immersion, and great dialogue, and thought-provoking moral, political, and philosophical undercurrents; definitely one of the most quotable games ever made. Overall storytelling was excellent as well. The actual story, however, was a bit over the top in places. I mean, Bob Page pretty much embodies comic book supervillainy. Not that I personally hold that against the game - I certainly don't - but some might.
Hell, I'd love it if they simply remade the original with modern graphics and animation (without touching the gameplay one bit).And added a female JC option. Be silly not to do that.

I guess I'll have to check it out then! :) Is it anything like Metal Gear Solid or System Shock?Dialog in Deus Ex, if it's the sort that interrupts normal gameplay, is rarely very long, frequently interactive, and most of it (chatting with pedestrians on the street, patrons in a bar, a lady in a boat randomly selling weapon mods, etc.) completely optional. So no, not much like Metal Gear Solid ;)

What's all this bashing of Invisible War I'm seeing here? Well, I for one preferred it to the original, because it focused more on biomodification of your character than on those classic RPG skills. What I hated in the original was that you'd only find augmentations every now and then and that even when you've found them, you can't choose the ability, but instead get a pre-determined one.Extending the augmentation system, even to the point that it subsumes the skill system, could have been done without sacrificing such fundamental basics as, oh, say, there being a proper difference between shooting someone in the head and shooting them in the foot.
 DeadYorick
02-06-2008, 3:30 PM
the sequel to Deus Ex did indeed suck. Deus Ex reminded me of both System Shock and Bioshock. Plus coupled with a few MMORPGS in there as well.

Anyway I hope they make a sequal. But having JC Denton as the main character again
 Corinthian
02-06-2008, 3:47 PM
They'd be better off leaving it as it is. J.C. Denton is not a suitable character for a sequel, especially considering canon already has it that he merged with the Helios AI.
 DeadYorick
02-06-2008, 5:52 PM
They'd be better off leaving it as it is. J.C. Denton is not a suitable character for a sequel, especially considering canon already has it that he merged with the Helios AI.

They could just not follow the Invisible war cannon and make the sequel follow a different ending like the Illuminati or Tong ending. But I liked J.C. Denton and he would be a good protagonist in the sequel
 igyman
02-06-2008, 5:58 PM
But then what would be the point of a sequel, if it doesn't follow the canon. What I'd do is continue from where JC/Helios ending left of in Invisible War - humanity is controlled by Helios, it's all working fine until one day either Helios decides that it needs to increase control of humanity and a resistance rises up against it, or there already are some people opposing the JC/Helios regime and you as either one of them, or an agent sent by JC/Helios need to pick up the pieces.
 SilentScope001
02-06-2008, 6:29 PM
Uh, guys?!

JC Denton allied with Tong, the Illuminati, and Helios! He was the one who caused the Collaspe, merge with Helios, and killed off that Majestic 12 ursuper. (Oh, that reminds me, another spoiler question to ask Sabertooth...)

So, same thing here. The new guy will align with Helios, the Templar, the Omar, and the Illuminati...for, uh, one, er, purpose. World peace?
 igyman
02-07-2008, 12:42 PM
The backstory for Invisible War is a combination of all three endings of Deus Ex, but it's not as simple as you have put it and it has all been cleared up in Invisible War. If I remember correctly the backstory is that JC killed Bob Page, merged himself with Helios, but they couldn't establish the regime they envisioned because the merger didn't go completely well. Also the merger required a large amount of energy, which disabled global communications and caused the Collapse. However, the dominant ending was the Helios merger.
I suspect that if Deus Ex 3 is a sequel and not a prequel (and I sincerely hope so), that the backstory will be another combo, but the dominant ending will probably be the Helios/JC ending.
 DeadYorick
02-21-2008, 12:24 AM
I liked the J.C with Helios ending since I never saw something like it before and I was not expecting that Daedalus would merge with Icarus. Plus I wasn't expecting that when you went to Area 51 you would see greys everywhere dishing out a lot of damage from their plasma.

Deus Ex was smart in creating the merging ending. Since its not an ending we have ever seen before. It made Invisible War seemed very inferior to Deus Ex. Instead of a sequel I would actually want a remake of the first game. Since all my friends are whining about how Deus Ex has the worst graphics on the Unreal engine. I can't even get to the features since they already perceive that its a horrible game based on the graphics
 Sabretooth
02-22-2008, 12:33 AM
Sabretooth:

While that does sound interesting, and I would agree with you in the past, now, it doesn't seem like it actually merges the endings together.

If the world plunges into another Collaspe, then can't it be assumed the Omar won that battle on Liberty City (as that is what they desired), and the game takes place inbetween the Second Collaspe and the Omar's eventual rise to power following the endless wars?
Yikes, that's right! I guess the answer will be to completely wipe out the Omar race from the game itself, as much as I love them...

I could see some potential in a prequel, provided it focus on

Bob Page. He might, MIGHT be an interesting person to play as, seeing his creation of the Majestic 12, and why he did what he did.

Maybe. I prefer a sequel, to be honest.
Not bad, but I'd rather play as Walton Simons, since I don't figure Bob Page was a very, well, action type of guy. :p Simons was more of the henchman-like character, and it would be good if we saw the rise of Page through his eyes, IMO.

As for the whole JC Denton debate, I think they should leave him alone. The reason being that then the game would become too one-sided, since we already saw JC attain a position of power in Deus Ex, and I don't think he will be ready to ally with others now. If you look at him in IW, you can look him at as a hero, messiah, villain, demon - whatever you wish. I think this neutrality and flexibility is the core of the DX universe and must be preserved.

Uh, guys?!

JC Denton allied with Tong, the Illuminati, and Helios! He was the one who caused the Collaspe, merge with Helios, and killed off that Majestic 12 ursuper. (Oh, that reminds me, another spoiler question to ask Sabertooth...)

So, same thing here. The new guy will align with Helios, the Templar, the Omar, and the Illuminati...for, uh, one, er, purpose. World peace?
Not sure I got you there... :confused:
 stoffe
10-05-2008, 7:15 AM
Some details about Deus Ex 3 have been revealed:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=198546)

(Thanks to Sabretooth for finding the link. :))
 Pavlos
10-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Source (http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/41963/Deus-Ex-3-is-an-RPG-According-to-Eidos/p1/c2)

Eidos Montréal, developer of Deus Ex 3, has clarified (http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/41963/Deus-Ex-3-is-an-RPG-According-to-Eidos) a few of the points in yesterday's preview (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=198546) of the long-awaited prequel to the critically acclaimed Deus Ex (2000).

Deus Ex 3 is indeed an RPG. It's a hybrid action/RPG just like the first game. There is a skill system where you upgrade your character (Adam) based off experience points you earn and you can do the same thing with weapons. It's a game with a very detailed plot with numerous characters you interact with. The gameplay takes the form of a consequence-driven multi-path, multi-solution approach in a non-linear space.

For stealth, that is another major pillar of gameplay and we do have it. The difference is that it's now cover-based rather than "shadow/light-based" as in the past games.

What exactly is the difference between a cover-based system and a shadow-based one? Do I get to dress up as Gordon Brown or a tree or something? Perhaps Gordon Brown as a tree... with Vince Cable starring as a park bench.
 Sabretooth
10-20-2008, 2:01 PM
Got a delivery for you folks: some rough photographs I found on the Internet and wrote up about here. (http://www.stuffwelike.com/stuffwelike/2008/10/18/pc-zone-issue-200-scans-deus-ex-3-info/)

They aren't really scans, they're photos and most of the text has been clipped away, but hell, something's better than nothing. You get to see the art and design for the game here, and to be entirely honest, I have no idea what to say. It looks gorgeous, but I just can't imagine it being in the same universe as Deus Ex, let alone a prequel.
 stoffe
11-18-2008, 8:08 AM
 Sabretooth
02-10-2010, 1:00 AM
 DarthParametric
03-12-2010, 1:58 AM
A new teaser trailer was released at GDC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWzb62Tjhkg&hd=1)

EDIT: HD version over at GT - http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-10-deus-ex/63061)

More info about the game via IGN - http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1077036p1.html) Seems they are mostly ignoring Deus Ex 2 for inspiration and looking instead at 1, which can only be a good thing.
 jrrtoken
03-12-2010, 4:17 PM
Am I the only one who saw more into the Icarus reference other than it just being a neat concept? Other than that, the setting seems to evoke the noir-esque feel in the first game, including the music. Nevertheless, my anticipation increased tenfold. :)
 Revan 411
03-12-2010, 4:44 PM
A new teaser trailer was released at GDC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWzb62Tjhkg&hd=1)
HOLY S***! :eek: That's got to be best trailer/teaser I've seen this year!

Deus Ex 1 is not only the best FPS ever created, but its also the best game ever made. Not only because it revolutionized how RPGS can be combined with FPS, but also because of its story and depth. Even to this day, I can detect no-game that has a better story then Deus Ex. Not even Half Life 2 or BioShock can out-rank Deus Ex in terms of storytelling and character development.

Deus Ex 2 is a game that I find to be incredibly underrated. Not sure why everyone hates it so much. Sure, its not as good as the first game, but at least its better then anything else that's currently out in the market. (Yes, I'm looking at you Modern Warfare.)

And finally, Deus Ex 3. I haven't seen any trailers or teasers about this game since 2007. I actually thought it was canceled, until the GDC trailer came out yesterday. And I can fairly say that this game will be my number one top game to buy of 2010. :) I'll even pay 85 dollars for it!
Page: 1 of 1