Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

mss32.dll and other issues, oh boy!

Page: 1 of 1
 GTK + JA = fun
05-03-2007, 7:34 PM
wow, this game is really putting up a fight for me to play it . . . . . I will do my best to explain my issues (yes more than one issue with KOTOR 2) and I hope someone has the answer I have been looking for this whole time.

Before I start I with the KOTOR 2 issues I want to say I am trying to get the game to work on Vista, my pc is brand new it has the latest sound and video card updates and I have had no issues with any other game including KOTOR. KOTOR 2 seems to be made idfferent or something . . . .

Ok so long story short, KOTOR 2 was not working when I first got it, then I thought I had KOTOR 2 working, for like a week or so I could play the game. I had set it to administrative rights and service pack 2 and all that and the game would start fine. Then just a few days ago it keeps getting this dumb "C++ Runtime Error" even if I turn sound off the game will not launch. I have installed, and installed again and again and read many threads on many site to try to understand the issue . . . no luck.

So here I am with more issues, the mss32.dll, it likes to play games with me. I put in the newer version that people said would make KOTOR 2 work, well no change for me . . .but then I tried something, I put the old mss32.dll from KOTOR into the KOTOR2 folder and KOTOR2 worked! . . . . but only one time. After that one time I got to play KOTOR2 is won't launch and the Runtime Error keeps coming up.

An if it could not get anymore problematic, wait, there's more . . . the 1.0b patch, it is suppossed to make the game better right? well whenever I install it and I try to play KOTOR 2 it says "Please insert Original disc" oh brother! What a joke! It can't even reconize that I have the original play disc in my pc! . . . . .

I have read everything I can guys, I don't want to post another repetitive post about the same issues you ahve all heard again and again but I have not seen anywhere anyone who has had all these issues at once . . . . . . any ideas, or solutions would be greatly appreciated :) Thank you for your time.
 tk102
05-03-2007, 9:28 PM
Try doing that again with mss32.dll -- copying it from KotOR into your KotOR2 installation folder -- and then try running KotOR2 in XP Compatibility mode (and as Administrator).

If that doesn't work, you might also try uninstalling the game completely, and then to do the reinstallation, manually run the setup.exe from the game 1 disc in XP compatibility mode. Then do the steps in the 1st paragrah again.
 GTK + JA = fun
05-03-2007, 9:44 PM
yeah I tried it last night and it never worked again . . . . this is really strange

Just a few minuets I tried opening KOTOR 2 from the start menu, it worked!! . . . but sadly after I exited KOTOR 2 it had that runtime error again. What is up with that?? How can a game work one time an never show any errors and the next second I get a runtime error, also while I was in KOTOR 2 (the one time it actaully launched) the game was fine, all movies and sound were fine.

I re-installed KOTOR 2 for like the 100th time again lol, well the runtime error was there and I tried the mss32.dll from KOTOR to KOTOR 2 again and it did not work. Even stranger is that 1.0b patch, I added it to KOTOR 2 still has a message saying "Please insert original disk into the dvd/cd drive" . . . . . I can't get around that BUT the runtime error does not show up so I am assuming the patch fixes the runtime problem but it gives me a whole new problem . . . .. I don't know if I need to add something into the registry or what to make the game launch
 GTK + JA = fun
05-03-2007, 9:50 PM
Try doing that again with mss32.dll -- copying it from KotOR into your KotOR2 installation folder -- and then try running KotOR2 in XP Compatibility mode (and as Administrator).

If that doesn't work, you might also try uninstalling the game completely, and then to do the reinstallation, manually run the setup.exe from the game 1 disc in XP compatibility mode. Then do the steps in the 1st paragrah again.

oh yeah I also did the XP compatablility setup thing, and I manually installed it and there was no change. also yes, I have tried running the game on every compatability mode there was avaliable and I never saw a difference . . . .
 GTK + JA = fun
05-04-2007, 5:07 PM
Well this is very good turn of events :)

The game works and no, not rigged or a slight chance of Luck. I found the answers and pieced them one by one together to make it run smoothly. Also just for people who do not know, I am running the game on Vista Premuim with a 7900 gs Nividia card, 4GB ram, 2 duo processors on a dell XPS 410

So here is what I did:

1) Re-installed KOTOR 2 with servicepack 2 on

2) I try to play the game and a runtime error comes up

3) Then I installed the 1,0b patch, the game says I need to insert original disc.

4) I contact support@securom.com that deals with discs not reading correctly.

5) They give me a newer swkotor2.exe

6) I name the old swkotor2.exe to swkotor2.old and I put in the new one that support@securom.com gave me.

7) Game says it has stopped working

8) Last step and the easiest step, I replace the old mss32.dll with the newer one I found at Lucasarts Technical Support.com and the game runs great!

NOTE: I checked, rechecked, and double checked to make sure this really would work and it does! I also made sure that the gameplay and the sutscenes work too and yes, they work fine :)

So I fixed it, hopefully someone else finds this useful if they happen to come across this thread.
 tk102
05-04-2007, 6:50 PM
So I fixed it, hopefully someone else finds this useful if they happen to come across this thread.Yes, thank you for coming back to post that solution, GTK + JA = fun.

For the record, could you also post the file size, and file dates, and version numbers of the swkotor2.exe and mss32.dll (right-click: properties)?
 GTK + JA = fun
05-04-2007, 9:38 PM
Sure, here is the info I know about that stuff

the newer swkotor2.exe was given to me by the suppop@securom.com and here is what I know:

It is 8.40 mb large and it is version 2.1.0.0 I believe, I don't know if people can find it just searching the web or not but if anyone has an annoying "insert original disc error" then you can give support@securom.com

and for the mss32.dll it is exactly 364 kb and it is version 3.0.0.0 . . . .

now if you install Kotor 2 and you look at the mss32.dll that came with it. the version for that mss32.dll is like 6.7.0.0, the one that works is the 364 kb one that is version 3.0.0.0 All I know is that the 3.0.0.0 version one works and the one that comes with the game (especially if you have Vista) won't work well with the newer stuff.

That's all the info I got. One thing is for sure though, Kotor 2 works great and now I can take on the adventure! :)
 Jasher
06-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Could you post the links for the downloads?
Page: 1 of 1