Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Overrated Bands?

Page: 1 of 1
 urluckyday
04-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Hey guys...I'm not one to usually start threads, but here it goes.

This thread is for the discussion of what you guys find to be the most overrated bands out there right now. I would hope that you would keep the discussion clean...and I want everyone to remember, these are all opinions. Enjoy!
 VaderChick
04-10-2007, 5:06 AM
Overrated band- Fall Out Boy.
 Sabretooth
04-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Oh there are plenty, in my sincere opinion. Some examples being Linkin Park, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, Evanescence, Green Day, U2 and so on. In general, any band that tries to fuse two genres, publicize itself too much, be American (no offence, my yankee buddies), be overstylish (does not apply to Black Metal) and so on gets included in this list.
 urluckyday
04-10-2007, 11:47 AM
How can you say U2 is overrated?! They're a classic...but oh well, everyone's got their own tastes...oh and VaderChick...Fall Out Boy is waaaay overrated.
 milo
04-10-2007, 6:31 PM
My chemical romance ewww gross.
 urluckyday
04-10-2007, 6:39 PM

lol...if I had a penny for every person who said that...
 Davinq
04-10-2007, 7:04 PM
I suppose here would not be the place to defend such bands listed as MCR? :/

Right, I suppose I'd better start bashing something...

Oh Snow Patrol is lame it's soooo repetitive and unoriginal icky icky icky. SP SUX.
 Johnpp
04-11-2007, 12:11 AM
VaderChick loves My-chem. ;p
 Davinq
04-11-2007, 1:10 AM
What I don't understand is why people claim that x band is overrated, but don't explain why. I understand that people claim FOB is overrated because the guys are practically media whores, but that doesn't have anything against their music, which IMO is pretty decent. For the most part I think it's mostly those haters who instinctively refuse to jump the bandwagon that create all this overrating junk.
 VaderChick
04-11-2007, 1:30 AM
I have nothing against FOB's music, I actually have one of their songs on my mp3. And they aren't that bad, its just everyone raves about them as if they are the next best thing.
 Sabretooth
04-11-2007, 4:29 AM
What I don't understand is why people claim that x band is overrated, but don't explain why.

I believe the answer would be, that people have a notion that a certain band is making more publicity or being more popular than it deserves, in the individual's opinion.

I, for example, hate Hip-Hop and Rap very strongly. Seeing nothing but the above on Music Video channels, I am tempted to say that Hip-Hop/Rap is overrated, because it's not good (IMO) and it is being shown way too much in comparison to Metal.
 VaderChick
04-11-2007, 4:48 AM
I, for example, hate Hip-Hop and Rap very strongly. Seeing nothing but the above on Music Video channels, I am tempted to say that Hip-Hop/Rap is overrated, because it's not good (IMO) and it is being shown way too much

Yeah, I agree. Its all you ever hear these days, everyone has it as thier ringtones. I hate looking at peoples mp3s or I-Pods, and its full of 50Cent, Tupac, Chingy etc;
 MrWally
04-11-2007, 7:50 PM
Personally, I would never say U2 is overrated. However, I personally believe that Fallout Boy, MCR, and Hawthorne Heights are all very overrated, as are most bands of that genre.
 urluckyday
04-12-2007, 10:22 AM
While I enjoy their one song (Over My Head), I have to say that "The Fray" is waaaay overrated. They are just really boring and not unique at all. I mean, besides that song...all their music is pretty lame.
 St. Jimmy
04-14-2007, 9:11 AM
Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Evanescence, Green Day, U2
Okay, **** you. Lol joke.
As for Fall Out Boy.... "In Communist Russia, cock sucks Fall Out Boy!" They are intensely overrated. Why? Because their music is very, very mediocre. They get a lot of publicity/attention despite being incredibly ordinary. Have a listen to their music, and they're not doing anything special at all. Nothing I haven't heard before anyway.
 Rabish Bini
04-16-2007, 1:19 AM
FoB (How much attention do they want? And they are not the next big things)
MCR (They sing about the lamest stuff)
50cent (Lame melody's, lame rhymes and lame in general)

Rap is easily the most overrated genre, there are only a few good songs and even fewer artists, the best being John Cena.
Punk like MCR is far too overrated.

Some people have said U2 overrated, I don't think many people agree with that comment.
 VaderChick
04-16-2007, 2:34 AM
Ok, firstly, MCR do not sing about nothing.
Secondly, they are not a punk band.
 Rabish Bini
04-16-2007, 5:14 AM
Ok, firstly, MCR do not sing about nothing.
Secondly, they are not a punk band.

Well, whatever. They sound punk to me, or maybe emo.
And I never said they sing about nothing, I said they sing about the lamest stuff.
 St. Jimmy
04-17-2007, 4:03 AM
Well, whatever. They sound punk to me, or maybe emo.
And I never said they sing about nothing, I said they sing about the lamest stuff.
AkumaSF, would you care to enlighten us on exactly what they -do- sing about? Now, now children, I know you're all raising your hands for this one, but I want Akuma to answer it...
 Commander Obi-Wan
04-17-2007, 7:03 PM
Music is essentially based on your opinions. If there is anybody who wants to listen the music of a specific genre and if there is demand for it, the music will be created. And generally, the music of a specific culture may be based on the music they listen to. For instance, Rap and Hip-Hop is very popular amongst Afro-Americans.

I personally don't really like many of those new modern bands that are out there. And I used to listen to Rap/Hip-Hop often, not as much as I usually do. I personally don't think it is overrated. Though, there are some artists who are making Rap look like a joke. *cough* John Cena *cough* And shows like The (white) Rapper's Show. :dozey:

Though, answering your question, I think bands like Fallout Boy & My Chemical Romance, bands like that are overrated.
 Pho3nix
04-17-2007, 8:08 PM
Tough question, but I guess My Chemical Romance is pretty overrated.

I can't think of any other bands at the moment though.
 Davinq
04-17-2007, 11:13 PM
While I enjoy their one song (Over My Head), I have to say that "The Fray" is waaaay overrated. They are just really boring and not unique at all. I mean, besides that song...all their music is pretty lame.
You, my friend, have just made yourself an enemy. -_-

And the only reason most people think that is because there are four tracks on the CD that are nothing but piano solos w/ Slade singing.

The rest though, is very unique, so I beg to differ. One of the biggest differences between The Fray and most mainstream rock is its heavy use of the piano, which IMO creates for a very dramatic, almost cinematic sound.
 urluckyday
04-17-2007, 11:46 PM
No...I agree that the addition of the piano makes it somewhat unique, but the songs themselves are just sooo repetitive and predictable...i feel like ive heard it 1000 times b4.
 Joshi
04-18-2007, 4:02 AM
Overrated band- Fall Out Boy.

Someone had to say it first :D
 Ray Jones
04-18-2007, 4:35 AM
All bands are overrated nowadays.
 Diego Varen
04-18-2007, 10:52 AM
I have to agree with you Ray Jones. Music from the 80s and before is much better and I wasn't even born until the early 90s.
 Rabish Bini
04-19-2007, 5:57 AM
AkumaSF, would you care to enlighten us on exactly what they -do- sing about? Now, now children, I know you're all raising your hands for this one, but I want Akuma to answer it...

I'm just going by the lyrics here, but only 2 songs of them out of the ones i've heard have any real meaning I understand, them being The Black Parade and that new single. But songs like Helen, or whatever it's called, seem to tell me that he wanted that girl to die, or something.

And here's something interesting:

In Kerrang! magazine, issue 1138, My Chemical Romance won the following categories in the 2006 poll: Best Band, Worst Band, Best Album (The Black Parade), Worst Album (The Black Parade), Best Track ("Welcome to the Black Parade"), Best Video ("Welcome to the Black Parade"), Best Live Show, Best Thing About 2006, Worst Thing About 2006, Hero of 2006 (Gerard Way), Villain of 2006 (Gerard Way), and Sexiest Male (Gerard Way). In issue 1139, Kerrang! rated The Black Parade as the 4th Greatest Album of 2006.

Best and worst album? Best band and worst band? What the...?
 VaderChick
04-21-2007, 10:15 PM
WOah, that is confusing. Lol.

In the song "Helena", he didnt want the girl to die. In fact, the girl was his grandmother, and she died. At one of their concerts, Way introduced the song as "the most important song to himself and his band."
 Rabish Bini
04-21-2007, 11:43 PM
Oh, well, I made a mistake then, and I apologise, but I still think they're overrated.
 urluckyday
04-22-2007, 12:15 AM
Yes, they are.
 SyntheticGerbil
04-24-2007, 4:58 AM
I think the answer is everything that is overrated is paid for and marketed that way by the major label record industry.

If we didn't have them spending billions of dollars to ingrain in our heads what to like and what is good music, why we would all listen to our own niche brands of music and never argue on the internet anymore.

That is not good.
 Ray Jones
04-24-2007, 5:19 AM
"Arguing on the internet is like taking part on the Para-Olympics. Even if you win, you're still a retard."
 comz4luigi
04-26-2007, 12:01 PM
this is the first time you started a thread?

Nice you have a popular topic on your first try good job
 Melly
04-29-2007, 11:01 PM
Time to show my fossilness, but I've always thought that The Cars & Foreigner were overrated. All their music sounds the same. There's hardly any variations in the tracks on there albums. **Goes back to listening to KFSL.** :p
 darth plumber
05-16-2007, 8:27 AM
nine inch nails. i hate them
 urluckyday
05-16-2007, 9:56 PM
Good answer.
 King Dando
05-17-2007, 6:23 PM
Emo, just as a whole. Although I may be biased, since I hate Emo.
 CLONECOMMANDER501
05-17-2007, 7:09 PM
I don't even like modern music, I can tell you this: Who ever made the song, "I stand Alone" must be from a seriously overated band :D
 King Dando
05-19-2007, 6:41 PM
I don't even like modern music, I can tell you this: Who ever made the song, "I stand Alone" must be from a seriously overated band :D

If its an Emo band, I'd laugh my socks off :)
 Davinq
05-19-2007, 7:32 PM
Godsmack? Now there I would have to concur.
 Sir Phobos
05-24-2007, 1:51 AM
Green Day takes the cake. Patently awful.
 Davinq
05-24-2007, 11:10 PM
Green Day takes the cake. Patently awful.
Can you say, 'one hit wonder?'
 Samuel Dravis
05-24-2007, 11:29 PM
nine inch nails. i hate themI'll agree to that, somewhat. I do like a lot of NiN's songs, but there's an equal amount of them are just unlistenable. Still, I think most metal in general is unlistenable, so Trent's doing pretty well compared to the rest of the genre.. :p

Green Day takes the cake. Patently awful.One song by them is good, and that is Boulevard of Broken Dreams. The rest of the entire album is crap, and the rest of their albums are trash... I think that's the only CD I have that I regret paying for.

U2: Hell no they're not overrated. :D Of course, I lurves my U2, so I'm kinda biased, but with all the good songs they've put out over an incredibly long time, I think they probably deserve their fame. If you don't like any of their songs, well, I'm sorry but you're missing out. :p

I do kinda think that everyone makes a big deal about the 'emo'-ish bands like Death Cab For Cutie, when they haven't even been around long enough to 'earn' it, so to speak. I admit, I do listen to it some, but the way everyone seems to go crazy about them seems more like an identity thing for people than for love of the music...
 jeffbuckley
05-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Seems like Fall Out Boy is winning the race! Lol. Anyway, I suppose Panic at the Disco and All American Rejects are also overrated. Whoa! Those were all emo bands. Is there a consensus of hate here among emo groups?

05-29-2007, 11:14 PM
50cent (Lame melody's, lame rhymes and lame in general)
50 cent needs to die. He f*cking fused his crappy rap with Queen, and had the balls to put it on a CD. F*cking Q-Unit my ass.

~spits~ there, that's vented. I have to agree with all the bands already listed. That emo crap sucks, and I gotta say, Fergie's overrated just because of how full of herself she is, and how annoyingly overplayed all of her songs are.
Page: 1 of 1