Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Lungfishopolis: crash with 0xc0000005 error

Page: 1 of 1
 Pvt_Mandella
04-08-2007, 4:57 PM
Hi all,
I've been enjoying playing Psychonauts (PC), but now all the fun is on hold as I have a game-breaking crash in Lungfishopolis.

Right at the beginning of the level, after freeing the 3 prisoners and getting my shield badge, I walk a few steps down the road and get a black screen. I alt-tab out, and get a dialog box saying there has been an error at 0xc0000005. This happens every time. I have tried restarting the level and exiting to the real world and coming back through the brain tumbler but with the same results.

My machine's specs: P4 2.8Ghz, IGb RAM, OS XP pro SP2.

Video card: GeForce 7800 GS (AGP): ForceWare 93.71 drivers.

The game is patched to 1.04.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

cheers,
Mandella
 martmeister
04-08-2007, 6:14 PM
I'd check out the Error Log, figure out what else was running at the time, and see if there's a conflict. I'd make certain to disable any HP programs that might be running as well as Folding@Home.

I haven't had a problem with my video card (same as yours including Forceware drivers) besides a few freak incidents. I don't know if using an older driver would help.
 martmeister
04-08-2007, 6:19 PM
Also, check out your graphics setting (univeral and game). Check the anti-aliasing and vertical sync settings in particular.
 Pvt_Mandella
04-09-2007, 5:48 AM
I'd check out the Error Log, figure out what else was running at the time, and see if there's a conflict. I'd make certain to disable any HP programs that might be running as well as Folding@Home.

I haven't had a problem with my video card (same as yours including Forceware drivers) besides a few freak incidents. I don't know if using an older driver would help.

Thanks Martmeister

Is the error log the same as the PsychoDump file referred to in my error message? It referred me to a file

PsychoDump R553-76698.dmp (62kb)

but when I opened this file with Notepad I only saw garbage. Maybe I need to open it with something else?

Video drivers - I've tried one old set, ForceWare 91.31 - same problem.

I'll get back to you about what else I have running, nothing much I think though.

Thanks for the advice!

cheers,
Mandella
 martmeister
04-09-2007, 2:33 PM
The Error Log is in: Start-->Ctrl Panel-->Admin Tools--> Event Viewer. Yes, it should be "Even Viewer" and not error log. Read This (http://www.updatexp.com/0xC0000005.html), particularly the Number Two - D.E.P section.
 Pvt_Mandella
04-09-2007, 8:16 PM
The Error Log is in: Start-->Ctrl Panel-->Admin Tools--> Event Viewer. Yes, it should be "Even Viewer" and not error log. Read This (http://www.updatexp.com/0xC0000005.html), particularly the Number Two - D.E.P section.

Thanks for that Martmeister.

Problem is now sorted - fantastic!

In fact I couldn't see anything obvious in the event viewer so I just went with your other suggestion of turning off unnecessary services. In particular I disabled nwiz.exe (Nvidia desktop manager related to changing display output?) and a service related to CyberLink DVD (PDVDServ).

And now I see what was making me crash - when I step over that boundary in the game I get a cutscene of the Lungfishopolis evening news. My guess is that trying to play that cutscene was making one of those video services trip up the game.

Though of course it could have been any of the services - but I don't think I'm going to bother going back and turning them back on one by one just to find out!

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my posts - much appreciated!

cheers,
Mandella
 martmeister
04-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Awesomeness! I'm betting the DVD program was causing it, since Nvidia's desktop manager is suppose to run seamless with anything that uses its driver. Then again, I've always found Nvidia's manager useless and only use it when I'm changing settings at that very moment.
Page: 1 of 1