Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How to get rid of Nonpreset Mode notifier ?

Page: 1 of 1
 Jeff
04-05-2007, 10:11 PM
This has happened for several different games, but the most recent is NeverWinter Nights 2. I launch the game and it continually minimizes itself and a notifier pops up in the middle of the screen in a blue box saying "NONPRESET MODE !" Aside from being extremely annoying, this makes me unable to play the game. I've searched the intarweb for help to no avail.

I know the message means that the game is not playing at the monitors native resolution, but I believe it is. I have a BenQ 15" monitor so the native resolution is 1024x768 which it is at. There are no refresh rate options in the game, which I thought might be something to change. I've tried it at 16- and 32-bit color depth and it doesn't make a difference.

Does anyone know a way to stop this notifier from appearing?
 Q
04-05-2007, 10:41 PM
I don't have NWN2, but it has an .ini file, doesn't it? Have you checked out its settings? Forgive me if that was a stupid question.:)
 Jeff
04-05-2007, 11:03 PM
It does and thats a good idea, but I changed the refresh rate to a few different settings in there and I still get the error. I can't think of any other settings that would need editing for the game.

Its done this, for example, on WoW before, but it seemed to just fix itself. I'm more looking to get rid of this notice than to configure nwn2 properly (which it is anyways).
 Q
04-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Well, I figured that you'd know about the .ini file, but I just wanted to be sure. I'm sure that it won't be long before someone who has the game and also knows what they're talking about:xp: will be along soon.

Problems like this are why I still use a CRT, and will continue to do so for gaming even after I get an LCD for reading text. I have to admit that LCD's are superior for text, but CRT's are still better for gaming, IMHO.
 stoffe
04-06-2007, 8:57 AM
It does and thats a good idea, but I changed the refresh rate to a few different settings in there and I still get the error. I can't think of any other settings that would need editing for the game.

If you tweak the nwn2 INI files by hand make sure you modify the correct one. There are two of them, one in the main NWN2 game folder and one in My Documents --> Neverwinter Nights 2 which I think has higher priority.

If it happens in other games as well that's probably not the problem though.
 Jeff
04-06-2007, 10:52 AM
If you tweak the nwn2 INI files by hand make sure you modify the correct one. There are two of them, one in the main NWN2 game folder and one in My Documents --> Neverwinter Nights 2 which I think has higher priority.

If it happens in other games as well that's probably not the problem though.Well I tweaked that ini file as well and to no avail. Its definitely a system setting and not a game config setting.
 Jeff
04-06-2007, 1:52 PM
Success! - so far.

I had forgotten to look in advanced under display settings in the control panel, and I changed the refresh rate from 72 to 75 to match the setting I set for the game. I was thinking I already had it set at 75. I just played the game and didn't have the problem, so it seems I've solved it for this game at least.
 Astrotoy7
04-07-2007, 2:51 AM
...I have to admit that LCD's are superior for text, but CRT's are still better for gaming, IMHO. Sure the cathode ray tube can do pretty things.... but what about resolution ! not to mention the size of the damn things. If I used a 27" widescreen CRT as my pc monitor(as opposed to the LCD I currently have) it would literally break my desk into half.

anything under 720p just wont cut it. But I do understand when people are limited to certain choices by cost. But to chooose a CRT by pref for a 720p/1080p capable machine.......is simply silly!

I just love when people plug their next gen consoles into CRTs that output at 520p and marvel at how good it looks !! If its the hardware limited Wii, then thats fine, but the ps3 and x360 are capable of looking very pretty with a HD display and composite/HDMI input.

LCD displays are getting cheaper by the month - Im hoping CRTs(as far as monitors go) will either be refined or phased out - they are monstrous pieces of dated technology.

@Moels....have you been fiddling with anything prior to this error commencing??

mtfbwya
 Jeff
04-07-2007, 1:48 PM
Well I got a new video card around Christmas and thats when this notifier started showing up when i played different games, but every time it either wasn't this big of a hassle (minimizing every 2 seconds) or it would just fix itself.
 Q
04-07-2007, 2:24 PM
@Astro:
Why do I prefer a CRT for gaming? No ghosting, no "native resolution" that you're stuck with whether you like it or not, unlimited viewing angle, far higher contrast and true color representation (especially black), all for quite a bit less than the wad of cash you have to drop on a high-performance LCD. An excellent 20" viewable Trinitron can be had for <$100.00US on Fleabay.

I'm currently in search of a good deal on the Holy Grail of CRT monitors, the Sony GDM-FW900 widescreen. It's more than capable of displaying every resolution you listed above, plus quite a few more with no loss in display quality at any resolution up to 2304x1440. No LCD in its size (about 22.5" viewable) and price range (can be had for <$200.00US) comes even close to its performance.

Yes, they're big and heavy, but my computer desk is actually a 1.25"-thick, solid hardwood table, so I wouldn't have to worry about it breaking under the weight. I can lift 90+lbs and I'm male, so I'm not going to be re-arranging the furniture every month.:xp:

I'm sure that your LCD is great, but how much did it cost? Less than $300.00US? I seriously doubt it. It was probably closer to $1000.00US. How does it perform at any setting other than its "native resolution?" How's its viewing angle? Its contrast? Its color representation? Its black level? Does it ghost in games? Because even a little bit is noticeable and very annoying for such a high-dollar product. Sorry, Astro, but I pi$$ on an industry that is forcing consumers into adopting a technology that is seriously "not ready for prime time" at an affordable price.:disaprove At least not yet.

I for one am willing to put up the size and weight for superior gaming performance at a far more reasonable price. I've already stated that LCD's are superior for text, and that I'll be getting one for that reason. But I will still be using a CRT for gaming for quite a while yet for the reasons that I have stated above. Hell, if I were going to drop $1000.00US+ on a monitor, I'd just go ahead and get a good 37"+ 1080p LCD TV and use it for both computing and home theater. But I don't have $1000.00US, so it's a moot point anyway.;)

@Darth Moeller:
If I lived in Michigan like you do, I'd seriously consider this deal, (http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-24-Trinitron-HP-Monitor-A7217A-Xbox-360-GDM-FW900_W0QQitemZ330105798601QQihZ014QQcategoryZ1163) 50QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) as it would be the best deal on a gaming monitor available, IMO. Yes, they're used, but they have several to choose from and if the one that you choose quits within 30 days, they'll let you exchange it for another. This model was $2000.00US+ just a couple of years ago. Yes, it's big, bulky and heavy, but no 22" widescreen LCD at twice the price can come close to matching its performance and picture quality in games, or watching DVD's and even HDTV for that matter. AFAIK, this is the finest CRT monitor ever produced -for $175.00US! I'd jump on it I lived where you do!:thumbsup:
 Astrotoy7
04-07-2007, 3:11 PM
@Qliveur.

CRTs give me headaches, seriously - when gaming or working. CRTs have a more noticeable flicker - which is a dangerous thing for people with epilepsy(like me) Ive never had this problem with LCDs. Ive never really noticed anything displeasing effects on the screen that weren't due to crappy graphics cards :p

CRT or LCD, another consideration in input/ouput. Many monitors have simply a d-sub(vga port) Running at a resoultion above 1600x1200 with this mode of connection does an injustice to the quality of the picture and the vividness of the colours. Alot of LCD displays now have a larger variety of inputs - especially those that are actually marketed as HDTV displays. The golden standard atm is HDMI, followed by DVI(which is what I use). Even for my relatively less fussy eye, the difference between DVI and VGA even at 1366x768 was noticeable.

One other thing with CRTs. Maybe those high qual ones are better, but *every* single one Ive had has had its vividness 'wash out' over a couple of years.

Seriously, I'd not go near a CRT if you gave me one. (They give me headaches!) Maybe the upcoming SED or laser projection displays may be more to your liking.

and viewing angle ?? On a computer monitor ?? Do you not sit straight in front of yours !! Alot of the newer LCDs, especially the ones marketed as TVs do have an improved viewing angle compared to their standard pc only counterparts.

Cost is defintely an advantage in CRTs...but that's what happends with superceded technology.Costwise, I paid the equivalent of $700 US over a year ago for mine. Theyre about $500US atm for 720p, or you could go for 1080p of course at a higher cost. I dont think its too bad a price. Unliek a PC, a monitor wont be obsolete in 18 months, expecially one that can always resume its function of being a TV :)

anyway, it's all good :) Everyone has their own personal preferences ... My plan is to make my 40" LCD in the lounge my next pc monitor...which I'll do when I get a 1080p LCD for the lounge. Theire prices are dropping dramatically atm

Here's my LCDTV-come-monitor - if it could cry it would, with all the bad things you have said about it. :p I love it personally. I can game/work/stare at it for hours with no ill effects to my health :)

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/4305/monittu2.png)

btw - my desk is solid(or not so solid) chipbaord !!! It wobbles if you look at it too hard !! A 22" CRT would kill it

mtfbwya
 Jeff
04-07-2007, 3:14 PM
I'd love a new monitor but even if I wanted a CRT it would barely fit on my desk and still give me room to do other work. Eventually I'd be looking to get a 19 or 20" lcd.
 Q
04-07-2007, 3:30 PM
I must admit that if I could afford an LCD as nice as yours, Astro, I'd buy it, especially if it were an S-IPS or AS-IPS panel. The only ones that I can afford are TN panels, and they suck for the most part.:(
 Astrotoy7
04-07-2007, 3:33 PM
...it would barely fit on my desk and still give me room to do other work....

lolz....The Defence Rests, Your Honour ;)

cmon...ray tubes are 1897 technology !!

btw- Im glad you fixed your problem Moels...it seems this thread has turned into a good ole LCD vs CRT debate :p Us HTPC builders have this argument non stop, all the time!! Don't even get me started on plasma :blast5:

lolz :p all in good fun :D

mtfbwya
 Q
04-07-2007, 3:42 PM
OK: I concede.:rolleyes:

I just want the good LCD's to get cheaper, damnit! And I want an affordable 22" S-IPS panel and not this TN crap that seems to be the only thing available in that size and price range.
Page: 1 of 1