Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Importance of "300": A Quick Article

Page: 1 of 1
 The Doctor
03-24-2007, 6:19 PM
I ran across this post on KotORForce.com earlier today, and thought I'd take advantage of this new forum and raise a similar thread over here. It's about the recently released movie 300.

Like everybody else, I loved this movie, it was just pure, fist pumping fun. But the movie's success surpised me somewhat...I thought it was gonna fall between the comic-book crazies and the guys looking for the boobs and bloodletting...but there's something else about it that's actually very important.

Let's consider where we are right now. Never mind the war in Iraq. I'm talking about pyschiatrists, psychologists, Al Sharpton, gay bias and homphobia, depression, racism, ethnocentrism...it's a big, growing list. I'm not taking light of these issues, which range from troubling to infuriating to laughable, just pointing them out.

The trouble with Iran was what got me thinking. More like, their problem with 300, and them thinking the movie is making them look bad, as if they needed help.

To me, every decade is like a new "Age". Unfortunately I think this decade has fallen into the "Age of Political Correctness". They've banned dodgeball in NY schools. Then tug of war. And now there are psychologists for kids as young as four.

And now with the advent of studies claiming that the media is warping our children, we've got kids with a handful of excuses to whip out if they ever get into trouble, even if it's serious. They've done it before, and now we're just finding more excuses for them to choose.

And not to mention the state of movies. Every movie has to be poignant or artful...or "relateable"...or enlightening, to truly be considered great. They have to say something about us as humans and then either praise it or skewer it.

And what about racism? Minorities are constantly shouting about equal rights and recognition, most especially that fat [posterior orifice] Sharpton, who has made blacks seem like a poor, victimized laughing stock.

When anything even somewhat derrogatory is said about minorities, the guns come out, but if anything is said about "The white devils", we're supposed smile calmly and nod in understanding. I'm not talking about blacks, no, I'm talking more about religious extremists and their Western hate. Like Iran.

So why is 300 important?

Well, because of "The Age of Political Correctness", our leaders are the most carefully watched. And thus, no one can say what we're all thinking, most especially anybody in OUR government, like Bush.

But you know what? Maybe we don't want to trade peaceful words with the Irani extremists that hate us. Maybe some of us want to boot them down a ****ing well. Or maybe we want to pick up a sword/gun and force them to try to make good on their blind hate for us.

And maybe we want escapism when we watch our movies, and maybe we want to forget our problems and move on and keep looking ahead.
Maybe we're tired of rampant homophobia and the demonization of everything that separates the weak from the strong, the capable from the incapable, for the sake of not hurting little Jimmy's ego.

And 300 represents all those things.
America used to make movies like these all the time. Larger than life stories about a few shallow, tough talking dudes that stands against impossible odds, while all the enemies fall dead beneath their feet, and at the end, the say something cheesy and ride off into the sunset, leaving the audiences exhausted and feeling great about themselves. And I'm tired of not having that anymore.

More than anything, I'm tired of feeling like the bad guy, and I can't remember the last time us Westerners were the good guys.

Thoughts?
 SilentScope001
03-24-2007, 11:29 PM
More than anything, I'm tired of feeling like the bad guy, and I can't remember the last time us Westerners were the good guys.

I'd disagree with his conclusions and beliefs. There has been too many games that are against political correctness, with lots of bloodletting and murder and gore...and then nothing.

The world is complex, morally so. If we go and blow up Iran, so what? We'll create yet another Iraq, prehaps something even more worse, since there are a lot of Iranian supporters. Prehaps Iran might degrade, prehaps the whole Middle East might erupt in violence...but you do not care, because you want revenge! It works in games...but does it work in real life?

Society doesn't have to have good guys. Everyone could be evil. Prehaps the media is making a responsible point by pointing that out.

I prefer the "Age of Political Correctness", because, to be quite fair...it's true. If more movies try to present that rather than creating movies of blood and gore.

But, let me offer a different reason: The reason that people prefer '300' is because it is a movie that glorifies violence, and men like violence. :) Same thing with James Bond series, XXX, The Shooter, and tons of other movies with violence and mayhem. It has always been this way. Sure, in those movies, you don't fight terrorists, but in 300, you fight against Persia, and I don't think the Persians did 9/11. Either way, people don't care whom you're fighting, they only care about the pretty explosions and girls. This is not some subtle violence against the Age of Political Correctness, people has always been this way.

I don't understand why in the world did you turn it into a rant against Iran...when Sparta is a dictatorship! A dictatorship that has enslaved Athens, the bastion of democracy, after the Pehhlonisan Wars. Those Wars was really quite similar to the Cold War between USA and Soviet Union...with the USA being Democratic and Athens, and the Soviet Union being militrisiatic and Sparta. Difference is...Sparta won. You realized that by rooting for Sparta, you rooted for their armed forces...and by extension their tyranntical regime that enslaved Athens (and the American ideas of democracy and freedom)? You just rooted against America, and you did not even know it!

...As for your comment about people crying against the "White Devil". I did read the Autobiography of Malcom X, and I was somewhat angry at it. But...well, so? I learn something about Malcom X. I learn about someone's else viewpoint. Do I agree with Malacom X? No. But I learnt something different than what the majority would say about blacks. I broaden my horizons, remain more tolerant of other people's ideas. [Doesn't mean I still can't hate them. ;)]
 jonathan7
03-25-2007, 11:10 PM
And 300 represents all those things.
America used to make movies like these all the time. Larger than life stories about a few shallow, tough talking dudes that stands against impossible odds, while all the enemies fall dead beneath their feet, and at the end, the say something cheesy and ride off into the sunset, leaving the audiences exhausted and feeling great about themselves. And I'm tired of not having that anymore.

Doesn't Lord of the Rings have alot of those things? Or the Blade Trilogy? Or the Matrix Trilogy, or Gladiator... I could go on ;)

But, let me offer a different reason: The reason that people prefer '300' is because it is a movie that glorifies violence, and men like violence. Same thing with James Bond series, XXX, The Shooter, and tons of other movies with violence and mayhem.

True, but in my opinion the new Bond didn't glorfiy violence, killing people isn't nice or glamourous and I will never understand why people think it is manly to kill. I would kill someone (say a suicide bomber) if I had to and only as a last resort.

On to debate, we are in an Age or Political Correctness, its stupid we (the west) are apparently democracies but if anyone goes against the standard thoughts with more controversial opinions they are criticised.

Finally on Iran may I enquire of Isreal is allowed Nuclear Weapons why are Arab countries (like Iran) not allowed Nuclear Weapons? Why do we get to decide who does and doesn't have Nuclear Weapons?
 SilentScope001
03-25-2007, 11:18 PM
On to debate, we are in an Age or Political Correctness, its stupid we (the west) are apparently democracies but if anyone goes against the standard thoughts with more controversial opinions they are criticised.

Groupthink, bandwagon appeals...We have the right to speak, but none of us have the right to be heard by the rest of mankind. I think it might be a bit fair to claim that nobody really is tolerant of other people's ideas, altough we should try to be, in any case.

Finally on Iran may I enquire of Isreal is allowed Nuclear Weapons why are Arab countries (like Iran) not allowed Nuclear Weapons? Why do we get to decide who does and doesn't have Nuclear Weapons?

Well, techincally, Israel "will not be the first to introduce nuclear weaponary." This means nobody really knows if Israel has or do not have nuclear weaponary. :)

Why is it okay? Because, really, Israel won't use nukes to wipe off Iraq or Iran (international pressure, of course...techincally, they could try for a secondary-strike cabilatiy, but they might not do a first strike). On the other hand, Iran and Iraq would use nukes to wipe off Israel (for self-defense, they'll say, but still, millions dead). Basically, it's better to have a couple of nations have nukes rather than every nation on the face of the Earth. One madman, wheter it is in Iran or in Mynmar, could easily take its nation to the not-so-envious title of being the the Second nation to use a nuclear bomb.
 jonathan7
03-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Well, techincally, Israel "will not be the first to introduce nuclear weaponary." This means nobody really knows if Israel has or do not have nuclear weaponary. :)

Why is it okay? Because, really, Israel won't use nukes to wipe off Iraq or Iran (international pressure, of course...techincally, they could try for a secondary-strike cabilatiy, but they might not do a first strike). On the other hand, Iran and Iraq would use nukes to wipe off Israel (for self-defense, they'll say, but still, millions dead). Basically, it's better to have a couple of nations have nukes rather than every nation on the face of the Earth. One madman, wheter it is in Iran or in Mynmar, could easily take its nation to the not-so-envious title of being the the Second nation to use a nuclear bomb.

Nah they deffinatly have Nukes as I was reading a leaked Isreali Military report that was Independant - http://www.independent.co.uk/) its a broadsheet newspaper, reliable and they wouldnt have printed unless true as not a sensationalist newspaper. Anyways Isreal was planning on Nuking Iran's Nuclear test facilities as they were deep underground and that was the only way to be sure that they have got them.

EDIT: Not admitting that they don't have them is completely different to if they actually have them, which I'm 95% sure they do ;) http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/892941.stm)

I don't like the Isreali goverment, bunch of absolute morons as shown by what they did to Lebanon, how does blowing up roads and infastructure and killing civilians help get their troops back? If Hizballah ever needed to do a recruiting video the Isreali Military and the Reporters there did it for them.
 lukeiamyourdad
03-27-2007, 11:05 PM
I understand some people's frustration versus political correctness in the United States. The power of the judicial branch is such that it can be frustrating to be constantly sued for being "offensive".

The problem is that even if you don't think that your actions are racist or offensive, doesn't mean they actually are. There is racism everywhere, but in a democracy, it is much less acceptable. Things like denying a man a job based on his skin color still happen. It's not very widespread, it's not as "big" as it used to be, but it still happens quite often. Realistically, you will never end racism, but that doesn't mean that the fight against it should stop.

The person who wrote this article seems incapable of the proper differentiation between the actual problems and the more overzealous "extremists" who will not be content until his side overcomes the other.

The rant about movies needing to be "arty" to be great is also stupid. The "intellectuals" will always snob upon the movies that aren't indie. They will always snob at movies that are fun for fun. The worst part is? It has alaways been this way and will always be this way. If someone has a problem with it, well, don't read the critics. That is all.

On the case of Iran, it seems he takes his opinion or rather the opinion of those close to him and extrapolates it to the entire populace:

And thus, no one can say what we're all thinking, most especially anybody in OUR government, like Bush.

The reason why Bush can't tell Ahmadinejad to p--- off or to anyone else in the world is that it's the most stupid diplomatic move ever. I realize that the state of Iran does it without care, but the situations are different. Bush can't afford to have a nuclear Iran or a war with them, the Iraqi situation not having any end in the short term.

Pretty much, there's no "just" reason to stop Iran from having nukes while the westerners all have nukes. The possibility of them using it on Israel is close to nil. Even giving it to terrorists is madness. They'll be exposed eventually and get destroyed by every other nation. Ahmadinejad is starting to be criticized by the higher echelons of the Iranian hierarchy for being overzealous in everything else but the economy which is not doing very well. The question is will a madman ever be put into power in Iran, one who will use the nukes without thinking? Doubtful.

Even though the government does not need popular legitimacy to rule, about 70% of the population is under 30, one of the youngest in the world. Most of them are "Americanized". They want change for democracy and they need the time to mobilize. I think the Iranian regime is going to lose the support of its people soon enough, if Ahmadinejad does not take care of his economy. Nothing is deadlier for an authoritarian regime then to face a wailing economy because that means civil unrest and civil unrest can mean necessity of liberalization and liberalization will result in opening up to the rest of the world and the progressive fall of the regime. Not a necessity, as the government can always violently repress everyone, but with a population so young, it will be hard to pull it off. In my view, if America or Americans want to stop the Iranian regime, use economic instruments to push it off the edge and let it crumble on itself. Less costly then assaulting Iran and no American soldier will die in the process.
 logan essex
03-28-2007, 12:04 PM
people need to stop confusing the state of israel with the religious israel. 2 totally different things. the political leaders are not representitives of the divine.
why would one think these men and women wouldn't use a powerful weapon against perceived enemies?
they already fight sticks and stones with tanks, planes, and missles-regardless if innocents are in the way.
 Dagobahn Eagle
04-08-2007, 5:12 PM
I'm totally opposed to the views of the article, and I agree with the points brought up by Lukeiamyourdad.

Let's consider where we are right now. Never mind the war in Iraq. I'm talking about pyschiatrists, psychologists [...]

[...] now there are psychologists for kids as young as four.

[...] we've got kids with a handful of excuses to whip out if they ever get into trouble, even if it's serious.The author is ignorant to the seriousness of mental illness and the need for proper psychiatry. Another victim to psychology still being a taboo subject, though not nearly as much as it was a decade or two ago.

Children have mental illnesses, too, and as such, many of them end up in need of psychiatric help. Mental illness is a real problem, not an 'excuse that you can whip out you ever get into trouble'. This has nothing to do with political correctness in any way whatsoever. It's good old medicine - providing for those who need to be provided for. Saying otherwise is like saying asthma in reality does not impair running skills, but that it's used as a handy excuse by lazy kids who can't be bothered to give P.E. a real effort.

Al Sharpton, gay bias and homphobia, depression, racism, ethnocentrism...it's a big, growing list. I'm not taking light of these issues, which range from troubling to infuriating to laughable, just pointing them out.What exactly is the point being made here? That depression and racism are non-issues that are overblown? Bullocks.

To me, every decade is like a new "Age". Unfortunately I think this decade has fallen into the "Age of Political Correctness". They've banned dodge ball in NY schools. Then tug of war.I agree that many people are taking political correctness too far. What I do not like is when people take this exaggeration and use it to shield their own childishness. As Luke said, The person who wrote this article seems incapable of the proper differentiation between the actual problems and the more overzealous "extremists" who will not be content until his side overcomes the other.

Political correctness is in many cases exaggerated. But you know what, you still have to be polite. We still have to respect people. And when you don't, I've got every right to call you rude, regardless of the exaggerations of others.

But you know what? Maybe we don't want to trade peaceful words with the Irani extremists that hate us. Maybe some of us want to boot them down a ****ing well. Or maybe we want to pick up a sword/gun and force them to try to make good on their blind hate for us.You do that. But I'll hold you responsible for the material damages, monetary costs, and loss of life.

Point is, compromises and diplomacy aren't heroic things. They aren't glorious. And to many, they don't look nearly as good on the news as bombs falling over cities to the wail of air raid sirens. But you know what? It's the way to go. Why? It saves lives. It saves money. It saves infrastructure and schools and hospitals and may very well save the futures of the countries involved. Whoever does not like peace can go sign up for military duty in the Middle East or Nepal or some other countries ridden by war, terrorism, and failed negotiations.

Imagine for a second if the US had actually chosen to play tough during the Cuban Missile Crisis and a nuclear holocaust had started. Would anyone sit there in the ruins cheering the balls of their political leaders, who dared stand up against the might of the USSR? I doubt it.

And maybe we want escapism when we watch our movies, and maybe we want to forget our problems and move on and keep looking ahead.
Maybe we're tired of rampant homophobia and the demonization of everything that separates the weak from the strong, the capable from the incapable, for the sake of not hurting little Jimmy's ego.I'm sure the article's writer does.

America used to make movies like these all the time. Larger than life stories about a few shallow, tough talking dudes that stands against impossible odds, while all the enemies fall dead beneath their feet, and at the end, the say something cheesy and ride off into the sunset, leaving the audiences exhausted and feeling great about themselves. And I'm tired of not having that anymore.Times and styles change, buddy, and with them, political opinion. And the other way around.

More than anything, I'm tired of feeling like the bad guy, and I can't remember the last time us Westerners were the good guys.Black Hawk Down, 24, Saving Private Ryan, the list goes on.
Page: 1 of 1