Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Re-release the classic monkey island games

Page: 1 of 1
 D0sd0
03-04-2007, 12:47 PM
It is almost impossible to find any of the early MI games, along with most of the other classic Lucas arts titles.

Finding them is no problem, just search the abandonware sites. Due to licensing, this is still illegal, and I would like to buy the original games.

The only place you can find them is ebay at silly prices.

Please Lucas arts either re-release them or release them as freeware and stop fans of your games having to pay over the top prices to play them, (if they can even find them), or having to resort to illegally downloading them.
 DrPhil2501
03-05-2007, 12:03 AM
Just get someone you know who already has a copy and ask him/her to burn it for you on a blank disc. That's how I got mine!
 Joshi
03-05-2007, 3:56 AM
Just get someone you know who already has a copy and ask him/her to burn it for you on a blank disc. That's how I got mine!

And it'll still illegal, so we'll have no more of that talk.

And yes D0sd0, it is rather annoying for people these days to be able to get the actual games. Unfortunately there's a slim chance of LucasArts releasing them any time soon so you're best bet will be the ridiculously priced eBay ones (although be careful, those could be illegal copies too).
 Matt S
03-05-2007, 5:02 PM
the real problem is this.............

i still have all tthe monkey island games, one and 2 both on flopy disc and 3 and 4 on CD obviously.

The trouble is these days XP which im using doesnt always like DOS games and even the earlier windows designed programs can be 'iffy'

When my PC dies and i cant buy one with a floppy drive anymore then i wont be able to play 1 or 2 at all.
 DrPhil2501
03-06-2007, 3:47 AM
And it'll still illegal, so we'll have no more of that talk.

No, its only illegal if you sell it.

And by the way... I didn't know Monkey Island also came in floppy disc's
 Joshi
03-06-2007, 4:10 AM
the real problem is this.............

i still have all tthe monkey island games, one and 2 both on flopy disc and 3 and 4 on CD obviously.

The trouble is these days XP which im using doesnt always like DOS games and even the earlier windows designed programs can be 'iffy'

When my PC dies and i cant buy one with a floppy drive anymore then i wont be able to play 1 or 2 at all.

Oh, well there we can help.

Go download scummvm (http://www.scummvm.org/) and run the games through them, works a treat on XP and it's perfectly legal. ;)

No, its only illegal if you sell it.

And by the way... I didn't know Monkey Island also came in floppy disc's

One, they came in floppy discs when they were first released, actually the floppy versions are probably more valuable considering how rare they are to find these days.

Two, copying and redistributing the games, regardless of whether money has changed hands or not is still illegal. In essence you've stolen from LucasArts by having a copy of the game but not paying them for it.
 Ray Jones
03-06-2007, 4:25 AM
The trouble is these days XP which im using doesnt always like DOS games and even the earlier windows designed programs can be 'iffy'It's like tons of possibilities out there. ScummVM (for SCUMM games and more), VDMSound for "native Windows execution", or VMWare/QEMU/etc to emulate a PC to install DOS based systems on which will run literally any DOS game you may find.

When my PC dies and i cant buy one with a floppy drive anymore then i wont be able to play 1 or 2 at all.You don't need to buy a PC with a floppy drive, because (A) you could take the floppy drive from the "died" PC or (B) can easily buy a USB floppy drive or (C) how about copying what's on the floppy to the harddisk, or more simple backup the directory where you installed the game.

There, stop whining, 3 working solutions for both of your real problems.
 Joshi
03-06-2007, 4:29 AM
You don't need to buy a PC with a floppy drive, because (A) you could take the floppy drive from the "died" PC or (B) can easily buy a USB floppy drive or (C) how about copying what's on the floppy to the harddisk, or more simple backup the directory where you installed the game.

There, stop whining, 3 working solutions for both of your real problems.

You could also burn such directories to a CD and either a)copy to new computer or b) play off of the CD. The nice thing about the first two monkey island games is that they're so old they can run without having to write anything to the registry, making them very portable (I seem to remember copying them to a USB drive and playing them off of that on any computer i wish to play them on, with savegame files and all)
 Ray Jones
03-06-2007, 4:41 AM
Yay DOS times, when my VGA had the incredible amount of 512 kilobytes memory!
 stewlil
03-08-2007, 1:50 PM
That would be awesome if they did that
Page: 1 of 1