Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Nvidia's "Budget" 8800GTS

Page: 1 of 1
 Astrotoy7
02-13-2007, 8:32 PM
Nvidia has decided to release a cheaper/lower end version of their DX10 compliant 8800 card. Although limited at 320mb, it still posesses the G80 core is touted to give a good bang for bucks DX10 functionality to those that dont want to shell out for the higher end 640 and 768 mb versions..

It'll be interesting to see some benchies for it......

more info HERE (http://www.nvidia.co.uk/page/geforce_8800.html) for those interested

Im planning to get a DX10 card only when I start to feel my GX2 is limited in whats its doing, or I get rich quick :) Of course, Im lucky to change my mind on this every second day, such is life :p

mtfbwya
 Sabretooth
02-14-2007, 4:47 AM
Looks interesting, but I'd like to know just how cheap it is exactly.
 Astrotoy7
02-14-2007, 6:32 AM
different prices always occur in different prices sabrez, though the articles I read was stating the $300 USD mark > which makes it about $390 Oz Dollars, and about 13,230 Indian Rupees :D Basically, half the price of their 768MB cousins :)

theyre being sold at newegg now for that price CLICKY (http://promotions.newegg.com/NVIDIA/G88/index.html)

Here's some very interesting reading over at Guru3d (http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/416/1/)

In the review of the 320 compared to the 640/768 models, including SLI, a very basic rundown:

Gaming at resolutions under HD eg 1920 x1200/1080 etc : OK, in fact quite comparable to teh 640MB, especially at 1024x768 and 1280x1024 etc (They never include those of us at 1360x768 !)

Great to see the SLI numbers(for the 768 and 640) for the Utra High Def Rez.... I urge the SLI naysayers to have a look and see. SLI is for performance at Hi-Def and Ultra Hi-Def resolutions. It is definitely looking increasingly viable now (and demolishes numbers for their HD console counterparts) :) lolz...now all we need are UHD monitors !!

one can only imagine how these numbers will improve when nvidia catches up with their drivers....of course, the quad SLI potential is huge...

conclusion - not a bad bit of kit at all....gives you DX10 and G80 power NOW, not obscenely pricey, and suited to the resolutions most people game at. (I only know ONE person that games at HD.....Im usually at 1360x768 with all the fancy settings on) Definitely not 1-2 year future proofed like the 8800GTX 786MB, but half to a third its price !!

mtfbwya
 stingerhs
02-14-2007, 8:13 AM
don't get me wrong, its a nice card, but i'm still waiting on AMD to release the RV600-based and R600-based cards. when that happens, prices are going to drop, and AMD may even have a better card to boot.

until then, though, the 8800 GTS 320MB card sounds like its the way to go.
 Astrotoy7
02-14-2007, 4:11 PM
don't get me wrong, its a nice card, but i'm still waiting on AMD to release the RV600-based and R600-based cards. when that happens, prices are going to drop, and AMD may even have a better card to boot.

until then, though, the 8800 GTS 320MB card sounds like its the way to go.

lolz, competition is good stinger, but I think either card will give us great performance....I can sense a ceiling effect coming on - just like CPUs seem to have achieved -a s far as 'everyday gaming' is concerned anyway :)

mtfbwya
 Q
02-15-2007, 3:11 AM
Well, I've got a little concern here. I saw an article on this card on one of the tech sites. I'm not sure which one, but I'll hunt down a link later. My concern is that while this card very nearly matched the performance of the 640MB version in nearly every game, it fell behind in Quake 4, a game that requires a lot of VRAM. Way, way, WAY behind.

This worries me because I have a sneaking suspicion that DX10 games are going to be voracious VRAM hogs. Given the fact that the price difference between the two versions was as little as $60.00US the last time I checked, I'd probably be more inclined towards buying the 640MB version.

EDIT: Here (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2926&p=8) is the article that caused my concern, with specific reference to Quake 4.
 Negative Sun
02-19-2007, 10:55 AM
I'd rather wait and see for the R600 (says the ATI biased person lol), a bit of competition never hurt anyone :)
Page: 1 of 1