Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

I don't understand how to use KotOR Tool

Page: 1 of 1
 TLM20
02-11-2007, 10:51 AM
i've downloaded KT but i basically dont understand how this program works. is there a tutorial available that covers how to use it in great detail?
 Darth333
02-12-2007, 11:57 AM
There are tutorials at holowan labs: http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=324)

How to use it depends a bit on what you want to do so you want may check the tutorials by topics. An easy way to familiarize yourself with KT and kotor modding is to start doing simple things such as item editing (change the stats, the name, make a unique item and put it into the game per example).

...And welcome to the forums :)
 TLM20
02-14-2007, 8:25 PM
ty glad to have joined :)
 TLM20
02-15-2007, 1:28 PM
Ok sorry in advance here, I know I'm being more than a bit dumb but I don't understand the terms in these tutorials. Erm, script, dialogue, .2da, modeling, module? Sorry some of them are probably self explanatory but when I read their tutorials I get the impression they aren't, plus I don't know what they mean anyway :D. Also I'm also having trouble with the KT thing, if I edit the properties of an item and re-open the item window later the properties have reset?

Again apologies, I have no clue when it comes to computers (erm, obviously)
 Darth333
02-15-2007, 2:16 PM
Ok sorry in advance here, I know I'm being more than a bit dumb but I don't understand the terms in these tutorials. Erm, script, dialogue, .2da, modeling, module? Sorry some of them are probably self explanatory but when I read their tutorials I get the impression they aren't, plus I don't know what they mean anyway :D.
Here is an overly brief and simplified description of these items:

scripts: basically they tell the game how to behave (cutscenes, ai, npc actions, force power effects, setting the conditions for some events to happen or not, etc. ). Scripts can be fired from various locations such as a dialog (example: when the pc choses a certain answer a script can be used to give him a certain item), triggers (ex. when the pc passes through a certain area, spawn Mr. X ), etc.

2da files can have many purposes. They define many aspects of the rules and game engine. Most of the time you will need to edit them when you want to add new appearances, weapons, force powers, change the feat/skills progression per example.

dialog: in short it's the conversations in the game....dlg files are also used to make cutscenes as you cn attach scripts to them

models: the shape of placeables (furniture :D ), npcs, weapons & items, areas, etc..

module: a module regroups game areas, creatures, items, dialog, scripts, etc for a certain location in the game (in kotor there is one area per module).

What you need to edit depends on what you want to do. Per example, if you want to simply edit the properties of an item and plant it in the game, you'll have to edit the .uti of the item and then depending on how you want to plant it in the game you will need to either:
- edit a container .utp (making sure the container is unique or you'll end up replacing all the other containers in the game that have the same file and they will all contain your item - this is verifiable with Findrefs (http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php) )
- edit am npc's inventory (.utc), again making sure the .utc file is unique
- using a script to add the item whereever you want in the game (give it to the pc during a conversation, add it to a container, etc. - it's the most fexible way )

Hope this helps a little. However, the best way to learn modding is to set yourself some goals (modest at the beginning or you'll become overwhelmed) and learn the different aspects of modding. It also makes it easier to explain and understand when you have specific questions.

Also I'm also having trouble with the KT thing, if I edit the properties of an item and re-open the item window later the properties have reset?Well you have to set KT to look into your override directory (its a checkbox in one of the menus...I don't remember which one). When you save an item template with KT, it is saved into your override directory.

Again apologies, I have no clue when it comes to computers (erm, obviously)
No problem, we all went through this :)
 TLM20
02-16-2007, 5:42 AM
Ty really appreciate the help :), will give it a go now
Page: 1 of 1