Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Network set up (windows and/or linux)

Page: 1 of 1
 jon_hill987
02-10-2007, 1:26 PM
situation as it is:
Desktop PC, running Windows XP MCE, connects to the internet via a wifi router.
In addition to the USB wifi card it has Ethernet ports.
Laptop, running XP home/Kubuntu doesn't have a wifi card but does have an Ethernet port.

I want to be able to get internet on my laptop (in windows or linux) by plugging it into the desktop PC (and still have internet on my desktop), but can't get it to work.

Does anyone know how to do this?
 Ray Jones
02-10-2007, 3:11 PM
Yes, what you need is a cross connect cable between laptop and PC and IP-rorwarding/routing on the PC enabled (to pass packets between wireless and cable network).

I'm too lazy to think about the details at the moment, maybe I can come up with something, later.
 jon_hill987
02-10-2007, 7:45 PM
I have the cross connect cable, I will look up IP-forwarding/routing and see what I can come up with. cheers.

EDIT: OK, I have enabled IP Forwarding on the desktop, I must still be missing something though as it is still not working.
 Ray Jones
02-11-2007, 4:38 PM
Can you ping from the laptop to the network cards of the desktop, or to the WLAN-router? Did you set up a gateway IP for the laptop? What IP addresses are you using? Got milk?
 jon_hill987
02-12-2007, 4:59 PM
Can you ping from the laptop to the network cards of the desktop, or to the WLAN-router? Did you set up a gateway IP for the laptop? What IP addresses are you using? Got milk?

Well, the router IP is 192.168.1.1, and my desktop wifi connection is 192.168.1.15 (static), I tried setting that connection to shared, but still nothing.
I think the problem is that I have no idea what to use as the settings for the ethernet connection...
 jon_hill987
02-12-2007, 7:18 PM
OK, I have it going now, cheers for the help.

turns out the ip forwarding was unnecessary BTW, I just set up the wifi card as shared in the end. it was the config of the laptop that was giving me the trouble.
 Ray Jones
02-13-2007, 4:00 AM
turns out the ip forwarding was unnecessary BTW, I just set up the wifi card as shared in the end

That's what Windows calls it. Basically, if you have a computer with two NICs, to get from one network card to the other (and vice versa), you must forward the packets from one card to the other, hence "IP-Forwarding". This must, of course, be activated only for the PC with two network adapters, which will then function as a router between the two (wired and wireless) networks. This should enable you to ping from one "end" of the network (laptop) "through" the desktop-PC-router to the other (internal IP of the wifi-router). All there is left to do then is that you have to set the wifi-router's internal IP as gateway for that laptop.
 jon_hill987
02-13-2007, 1:31 PM
I see, I found a site telling me to change the registry to enable it, which turned out to be a load of rubbish as it seems the network set up wizard can do it.

Anyway, all working well now for both widows and linux so i am happy.
Page: 1 of 1