Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WTH is a "Video Card"?

Page: 1 of 1
 DylanMay
01-18-2007, 4:16 PM
Hey guyzos.

So I got the PC version of Psychonauts for Xmas. I installed it on my computer, which is a laptop. Yeah, I don't know if that matters. The installation went okay, but now it won't work. What's up with that? Do I need a video card? Man, I don't know anything about computers. What's a video card, how do I find out if I have it, where can I get one, is it expensive, and is it easy to install? Anyone else ever had issues like this?

Stupid computer. ><; I just want to play my Psychonauts.
 milo
01-18-2007, 5:23 PM
Your computer should already have a graphics card, even if it's some ****ty thing integrated w/ the mobo. Also, it's pretty hard to upgrade a graphics card on a laptop. Harder than it is for a desktop anyhow.

Yea I dunno. Sorry I can't be of much help.
 DylanMay
01-18-2007, 7:00 PM
I totally put this on the wrong forum. Sorry... um... everyone.
 Byakko
01-19-2007, 1:44 AM
Sounds like my problem.

It's prolly that your Video Card doesn't have pixel shader v1.0.

Most PC games now require pixel shader v1.0, which is a hardware issue and can't be solved with software upgrade or drivers or whatever.

In other words, you have to get a new modern video card that must have pixel shader v1.0 (or v2.0, it's out I heard).

Not sure of the price though...

*I also read that there is a way to get around the check using registry changes. But I'm not sure how this affects the game itself. It'll prolly look uglier, not sure about the processing itself*
 Poopdogjr
01-19-2007, 11:16 AM
That's why I could never do computer games. I have no idea what is going on with them.
 Rasputin1st
01-19-2007, 11:46 AM
To get a new video card for a laptop, you probably should contact a computer or consumer electronics store. Ask them about, they'll probably try to sell you something you don't need but they are the only ones who will install a new one for you.

Oh, and you should check the specifications on the back of the game box, then go to your laptop's website to see if they match up.
 DylanMay
01-20-2007, 2:20 AM
Thanks, Byakko. That made sense to my technologically impaired brain.

Ras, I looked, but I don't know enough to know what my comp has. Yeah. I should probably learn computers. I can't even program the VCR, man...
 Byakko
01-20-2007, 6:43 AM
No prob. I think most of the video cards on the market have at least pixel shader v.1.0 nowadays (my current one is a Radeon 7000, which is like, very basic).

The easiest would be to just cart your labtop to the nearest computer shop and just ask them what's the most affordable and efficient video card they've got that has pixel shader v1.0. I read that you can get a good one for under a hundred, mostly from the ATI/Radeon/Nvidia line.

Edit: Personally, the computer shops don't usually try to cheat me but it pays to research yourself (I had to do it to figure out why Psychonauts won't run on my com anyway).

Like I said, I think you can get a sufficient one for under a hundred dollars. Maybe try those big electronics stores like Best Denki or something...
 jmac7142
01-23-2007, 3:01 PM
Pixel Shader 3.0 is out ;)

Also, you may not be able to have another graphics card installed in your laptop :_;
 martmeister
01-24-2007, 9:50 PM
Doubtful. Most laptops come with a built-in chip on the system board/planar. Replacing the board costs butt-loads of money (unless it's under warranty, then you're only getting what was installed) and is probably not worth the money.

I'd look for video driver updates for your laptop. Check with the manufacturer and input your model number (usually found on the bottom (ie: IBM/Lenovo's XXXX-XXX))
 Byakko
01-25-2007, 11:45 AM
Pixel Shader 3.0 is out?!

Gawd, what can't it be a software problem! How the heck am I suppose to future-proof my com if they keep busting out a new PS every year =/
 martmeister
01-27-2007, 9:59 PM
Go ahead and preorder NVidATI's Geforce Wun-Billion using the all new (until the next yr) Pixel Shader 55, DX80, Omni-Sight chip that interfaces directly with your visual cortex and brain! Installs in brain via eye drops and for the low price of $10,000 or 500 Galactics! Just keep waiting; the year 3000 is almost here... :D
 urluckyday
01-27-2007, 10:48 PM
...Video cards suck and are amazing at the same time...everyone you buy is gonna get outdated in a couple months (or less)...can't stop technology I guess...
 Ray Jones
02-02-2007, 10:00 AM
So, let's form an angry mob and stop technology! Let's switch of ter interwoop and run this forum by snail mail! -- Yeah. I'll ask mom when she comes home.
 martmeister
02-05-2007, 4:52 PM
Die technology! I love my cave paintings, tin cans, and not getting in touch w/ppl 3000 miles away for 6 months!
Lost? Back in my day, we thanked God for showing us somewhere "new." GPS, pfff.

;) ;)
Page: 1 of 1