Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Seagate to offer 300 Terabyte HDD by 2010

Page: 1 of 1
 Sabretooth
01-04-2007, 7:00 AM
A quick link: http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/8350/52/)

This looks really haute. 300 TB should be enough to spend my cocooned life...
 Astrotoy7
01-05-2007, 2:47 AM
lolz...thats a crazy amount of storage. Still, makes a lot of sense - given Windows Quattro plans....

mtfbwya
 stingerhs
01-05-2007, 12:46 PM
well, if M$ continues the current trend of power hungry operating systems, at least half of that amount of storage will be needed just for the system files. :rolleyes:

and don't forget the 20TB that you'll need for virtual memory. :xp:
 Astrotoy7
01-05-2007, 2:20 PM
cmon stinger, you know as well as I that Vista is the last of the juggernaut OS from MS.

mtfbwya
 stingerhs
01-08-2007, 12:41 AM
then the question is: who will make the next big OS???

i would like to think that it would be a Linux derivative or something from Macintosh, but i doubt that would ever happen. i certainly don't see M$ losing any ground over the next ten years or so if trends remain as they are.

the bottom line is that although people like to complain and poke fun at M$, they still dominate the computer software industry, and they will likely continue to do so for quite a length of time.

bah, what am i arguing for?? this isn't the right thread....
 Astrotoy7
01-08-2007, 4:39 AM
lolz...no argument - just some very clever fellows pondering the big questions !

Rumblings at MS and other places are indicating that MS will be releasing source code for basic functionalities. So you could end up with open source variants of windows derivatives - each with a different functional slant --- Like Linux *sorta* does.

I like they idea very much. If you are a student why the hell do you need the full bloatware of vista to research stuff and type up stuff. If you are a gamer, do you need the advanced business functions Vista includes. If you are a media center system builder(*puts hands up*) it would be great to have that tiny slice of the OS available !

Still, I like the idea of windows Quattro - lets see what MS can do with it :)

mtfbwya
 Jeff
01-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Man, that's almost an unnecessary amount of storage. I remember when like 5gb drives were huge - just think that eventually we'll think that 500gb drives were tiny :eek:
 Det. Bart Lasiter
01-09-2007, 12:12 AM
Man, that's almost an unnecessary amount of storage. I remember when like 5gb drives were huge - just think that eventually we'll think that 500gb drives were tiny :eek:
Rapidsearch has thousands of gigs of files indexed, most of which I want.
 Astrotoy7
01-09-2007, 9:14 AM

i wouldnt say unnecessary - especially for those running large databases/server etc. Also with the advent of Windows Home Server, a large centralised storage device for all media would require some heavy duty type of storage.

mtfbwya
 Artik2
01-13-2007, 2:53 PM
How much p@rn can fit there?? lol

I still have a 540mb disk somewhere...
 Jan Gaarni
01-19-2007, 5:13 PM
A 37.5 Terabyte harddrive. :)
I have no idea how I would ever be able to fill that one. :D

But atleast i wouldn't have to worry about diskspace for awhile. :)
A very long while. :D
 Astrotoy7
01-19-2007, 11:14 PM
I just finished backing up my Vista RTM build, 1 backup = 20gb !
I wouldnt mind 300TB at all :)

astro
 Q
01-21-2007, 5:12 AM
I remember back in the day when most PCs had NO hard drives, just a floppy drive, maybe two if you were lucky. :)

Then again, MS-DOS was only, what, a couple hundred KB, if that.

300TB will probably become the norm 10-15 years from now, if not sooner, just like 300GB is now, and 300MB was 10-15 years ago.
 Jan Gaarni
01-23-2007, 1:43 PM
Just as a footnote here:
It's measured in 300 terabite, not byte. ;)
So the drive isn't larger than 37.5 terabyte.

It's still a heck of alot though. :D
Page: 1 of 1