Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Merging 2da question

Page: 1 of 1
 tbl
01-03-2007, 2:26 AM
http://www.starwarsknights.com/mtools/Convert2da.rar)

This is probably a really stupid question, but when using the .2da merger, it asks for the unaltered one. The only ones I have are the one that is already in my override file and one from the new mod I downloaded. What I did was In the unaltered field, I put the one in my override folder, the 1st .2da to merge field I also put the one in my override folder and in the 2nd .2da to merge field, I put the .2da file from the new mod. Is this right?
Thanx
 Kitty Kitty
01-03-2007, 2:56 AM
I would guess no.

I've never personally used the merger, since I do my editing/merging by hand when I'm not just running the patcher, but my guess would be that you aught to download Kotor Tool and then browse for the file you need.

It will be under whichever game you're using (Kotor I or Kotor II), then BIFs > 2da.bif > 2D Array.

Find the file you need and save it someplace. You could create a sub-folder first called something like "Original" or something to put these in.

Then you'd enter that file for your "unaltered", and the two different altered ones for 1st and 2nd files to merge.

Best guess I can offer, but I'm sure someone who's used it (or written it) will know for sure and add their comments before too long. If not, I'll try to get around to looking at it more in-depth.

-Kitt
 tbl
01-03-2007, 3:13 AM
So far I've only needed appearance.2da. So I just use 2da.bif as the 'unaltered'?
Thanx
 Kitty Kitty
01-03-2007, 5:27 AM
So far I've only needed appearance.2da. So I just use 2da.bif as the 'unaltered'?
Thanx

No no...

You want to extract a copy of appearance.2da FROM 2da.bif for the correct game. Save it in a folder someplace where it won't write over either of the two you're trying to merge and use that for the unaltered version.

You'll need to use Kotor Tool to do the extraction. Just find the appearance.2da in the tree menus (under BIFs > 2da.bif for whichever game you're editing) and once you highlight it and click the extract button, it will prompt you to choose a folder and filename. You can either put it in a different folder than the other two or just name it something unique like orig_appearance.2da or something so you can find it when prompted for the unaltered file when you run the merger.

-Kitt
 tbl
01-03-2007, 5:36 AM
Thankyou :)
 Kitty Kitty
01-03-2007, 5:44 AM
Quite welcome. :)

Hope this gets it solved for you and everything goes as planned.

-Kitt
 stoffe
01-03-2007, 8:38 AM
Just to clarify/confirm what has been said, the unaltered file should be a copy of the 2DA from the game data with no mods applied to it. This file is used by the Merger to check what has been modified in either of the two modded 2DAs you then select. Any data that differs from the unaltered file in the two others will be considered to be modded and used when merging (where the data in the second file overrides that of the first if both files modifies the exact same column/row value).

Also keep in mind that this tool is only meant to save the copy/paste work of manual merging (and locating what has been changed), it's a not a "one click mod compatibility tool". It will in no way verify that data that references other data is correct. So, while some 2DA's can just be merged straight off, some will need some manual tweaking afterwards to update references which points to line numbers of other rows. A few examples of common 2DA files that contain columns with references to other lines or 2DA files are spells.2da, appearance.2da, portrait.2da.
Page: 1 of 1