Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Please explain the plot to rescue Han in Return of the Jedi...

Page: 1 of 1
 Lilarcor
12-31-2006, 8:27 AM
I challenge you to justify the PLAN TO RESCUE HAN!

Let's break this plan down piece by piece.

PLAN A: Lando
Okay so Lando is disguised as a guard and is already in the palace. Cool I guess but how long has the poor bastard been in there? He had to find a costume, fix up his resume, do the training and presumably live in ****ty quarters and eat gruel for every meal. And I'm sure the pay is ****ty too. This must have taken at least a week to get him all inducted and trained up. And what is he there to do? Reconnaissance? Fair enough but how does he report back? We never see that. And even then what does he have to tell them?

Day One: "Yo' guys it's Lando. Yeah Han is here, man. He's all up on the wall"
Day Two: "Yo' guys it's Lando. So Jabba has a lot of guards and stuff here, man, lot of bad ass guys. Oh and Jabba sits on some kind of ... well I guess it's a throne... yeah a throne. And he's fat".
Day Three: "So yeah guys Han's still up on the wall. You guys are coming right? Jesus Jabba is disgusting".

Let's say for argument's sake that Lando IS there to covertly pass back information. Okay, that's fine but how about TELLING LUKE THERE'S A GODDAMN TRAPDOOR IN THE FLOOR????!?!? Because, **** dude, information like that would have been useful.

PLAN B: R2 and C3P0
Wait so there a gift. How does that work? Luke tells Jabba that he wants to bargain. Peaceful option. But the droids aren't offered in exchange for Han. They are a token of his appreciation. They're like the free set of steak knives that you get to keep even if you don't go through with the sale. So regardless of whether Jabba wants to bargain, Luke is out of a set of droids.

Was there a plan to get them back? Or was Luke really that cold hearted that he just was willing to dump them there? I can understand dumping C3P0 but R2 was an important part of Luke's ship.

Okay... we can assume that Luke was planning to rejoin the droids, because Artoo is secretly holding onto Luke's lightsaber. PLAN DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.

Let's play it out... one of two things will happen.
1. Jabba will say, "yes. Let's bargain". Peaceful solution, they work out a trade for Han, BUT Luke is out of two droids AND the lightsaber he just built. I guess that was considered a fair enough sacrifice in exchange for his friend. But does he need to offer the droids at all? Can't they just pass on the message?
2. Jabba will say no to the bargain and Luke is out of 2 droids and a lightsaber.
EITHER way.. Luke is a recorded message. How will Luke even know what Jabba decides anyway. "Hey want to bargain?" I do but you're hiding out in the dunes somewhere and haven't even left your cell phone number. Doesn't work. That's why it would make more sense to have the droids return to Luke with Jabba's answer?

And this is a fair enough plan... let's see if Jabba wants to negotiate. SO why not make this Plan A? Why put Lando through all that bull**** first?

PLAN C: Leia and Chewbacca
So Leia finds a way to disguise herself and infiltrate Jabba's Palace as a free-roaming member of his crew. WAIT DIDN'T LANDO ALREADY DO THIS IN PLAN A????????
Except Leia is weighed down by a frigging huge wookiee, who is then imprisoned in the dungeons thereby creating ANOTHER person that will need a stealth rescue. Or did they just plan on leaving Chewie behind? I mean, Leia freed Han and then would have had to drag his conspicuous blind ass all the way down to the dungeons and stealth rescue Chewie with a ****ed up Han in tow. Doesn't make sense. And then all three of them would still have to get past a billion guards and out of the palace. Unlikely.

So why the **** couldn't Lando just go up to the control panel and free Han if this was the ultimate plan? BROTHER WAS ALREADY THERE!! And IT WAS HIS ****ING CARBIN FREEZING CHAMBER IN THE FIRST PLACE SO SURELY HE KNOWS HOW TO OPERATE THE BASTARD BETTER THAN A SPOILT PRINCESS?
Seriously, why was Lando even there if they didn't let him do anything? Incredible.

And what's with Jabba? How did he discover Leia? Did he see through the ruse? And is that really what he and his crew do every night... they just stand in a big group, in complete silence on the odd chance that someone might steal the decoration? That's paranoid dude. Why not just put some of those guards on night watch?

PLAN D: Luke
Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight, marches into the palace and tries to make a deal and is prepared to fight to the death if Jabba won't yield.

NOW COME ON GUYS SHOULDN'T THIS BE PLAN A?????????????

Because despite the other three brilliant plans:
- Lando has wasted three weeks of his life
- Han is still imprisoned
- Chewie is now imprisoned.
- Leia. Yep. Imprisoned.
- Artoo is a ****ing bar maid.
- C3PO has been getting the crap beaten out of him.
- Luke's lightsaber is far away in another part of the palace inside the bar maid.

You know what would have been a better way of sneaking in the lightsaber? HOOKING IT ON YOUR GODDAMN BELT! Nobody was able to stop him from coming in. I mean really.

So how did they ultimately rescue Han? By whipping out a lightsaber and ****ing killing everybody. So why not:

Get Luke, Leia, Lando, Chewie all armed up and march them down to the palace TOGETHER, offer the bargain, and then ****ing whip out the lightsaber and kill everyone.

If I was Lando I would be the bitterest man alive.

CAN YOU EXPLAIN HOW THIS POSSIBLY WORKS??
 Johnpp
12-31-2006, 8:55 AM
So many ****'s. I've alway's thought the same. I mean, come one lando, you do nothing else in the series besides destroy the death star wich was pretty easy to destroy!
 Ctrl Alt Del
12-31-2006, 5:08 PM
Huh. I've read in a comic (Bounty Hunter series) where Lando comes (between EP V and VI) to a small moon on a remote system to negotiate with a Hutt acquataince of him. turns out that, when he arrives there, Dengar, 4-LOM, Bossk and another Bounty hunter is awayaiting for him there, following the orders of that Hutt, that want to catch and kill him, thanks to an old game between him and Lando, where the last (probably) cheated.

Well, to make a long story short, Lando kick the Hunters butt with the help of some locals, and proceed to the Hutt's camp to finish him. When the local population are about to turn the Hutt into dust, Lando save his life with a request: That he recommend him to Jabba, as a guard corporal. The story ends with him departing in the Millenium Falcon.

A acceptable guess is that they had a plan but it turned out all wrong.

I, however, think that this was exactly their plan. Once they were all imprisioned and out of Jabba's palace to be eaten by Sarlacc, they could manage to free Han on an open environment.
 PoiuyWired
01-01-2007, 2:59 PM
I wonder... so many "what if" can happen in the plan. This is especially true with the Leia/Chewie part.

The recon action of Lando I can understand, and would probably work all fine. (and yes the comic about him gambling his way into the local population against a hutt lord is cool)

The Negotiation with the droids I can understand also, well droids are easier to bail out if negotiations would actually work, esp with the help of Lando, and lightsabers can be rebilt, so no biggie there. Though I think Luke would benefit from a backup lightsaber on his person.

Even the scene where Luke deals would Jabba would make sense, if he did not drop by with the Rancor. (I assume he did not plan on a rancor visit)

But really I don't see the point of the whole Leia/Chewie thing.

And I do understand running in killing everybody would be the good and effective sith way, but unfortunately Luke did not see the virtues of sith teachings yet.
 Ctrl Alt Del
01-01-2007, 6:01 PM
From my view point, the fairer explanation for Leia/Chewie actions are those:

1)Leia had her mind focused on Han, but killing Jabba would be her side objective as well (though it dont seem like the rebellion methods).

2)Chewie part, fortunately, is more comprehensible. Han in or out of his carbonite prison, was defenseless. He was, since the beggining, the guy that would protect and oversse him. He was also the best option for Leia have a reason of showing up, disguised as a bounty hunter.

I'll have to admit that its a very poor plan, anyway.
 PoiuyWired
01-02-2007, 4:54 PM
Well I guess the only good explanation is Leia being blinded by <3 <3 <3 and sets off a less than perfect plan on her own.

I mean, he could have done it better by slipping a few TDs into Jabba's chamber instead.

That, and using the same disguise more than once is not a good idea.
 TK-8252
01-02-2007, 5:46 PM
Lando - clearly he was just there for surveillance. Perhaps he figured that stealing Han would be too risky, as he could be caught and be either imprisoned or executed.

3PO and R2 being given away (as well as Luke's lightsaber) - perhaps Luke had a plan to get them back through negotiations. Otherwise, droids are somewhat expendable. Imagine offering to give away your car in exchange for a chance to get your best friend freed from captivity. You may not want to, but ultimately it's just a car, and can be replaced. A person cannot be.

Leia and Chewie - Leia needed a clever way to gain access to the palace. That's where Chewie comes into the picture. Jabba had a price on his head.

Luke - since all else failed, he was the last chance.
 MachineCult
01-02-2007, 6:12 PM
I just wonder why the Rebels didn't help them.
 Ctrl Alt Del
01-03-2007, 1:45 PM

Nah. Why would they do that, it would only attract attention, and, since they were trying to hide, it would haven't been a good idea, even to rescue an officer. Anyway, of course the Rebels had their part on it, getting the necessary info and connections... Thats how the Rebellion acts, after all.
 boinga1
01-05-2007, 10:35 PM
It seems to me that the end result (everyone present for the big Sail Barge battle) might have been the desired outcome. If Lando has been with Jabba for several weeks, he presumambly could have communicated with the others somehow. It is reasonable that he might learn that Jabba uses astro droids as waiters. He might also have learned about the Sarlacc, or the Sarlacc might already be known to the group. Either way, is is possible that Luke intended to have everyone slated to die and have R2 on hand to give him his saber. This is still a pretty poor plan, but it might be functional.
 Henz
01-06-2007, 6:14 PM
Maybe...

Lando went in for survalance. The droids went in to smuggle in luke's weapon. Leia and Chewie weren't originally going but did anyway out of <3. Luke was always going cause he's the boss.
 PoiuyWired
01-07-2007, 5:58 PM
I would say that Leia is there just to show up in that bikini.
 Darth Badguy
01-29-2007, 3:53 AM
3PO and R2 being given away (as well as Luke's lightsaber) - perhaps Luke had a plan to get them back through negotiations. Otherwise, droids are somewhat expendable. Imagine offering to give away your car in exchange for a chance to get your best friend freed from captivity. You may not want to, but ultimately it's just a car, and can be replaced. A person cannot be.

Yeah, but even when I decide to give my car away I won't leave my AK-47 in it (AK-47 = equal to lightsaber in this sentence)...
 PoiuyWired
01-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Well, thing is, Luke have no known backup lightsaber at that point in time.

I mean, what if the droirwork guys decide to check out R2's parts and found the UCT in it?
 Darth Badguy
01-29-2007, 2:27 PM
I don't think they would recognize it, ignoring the factt hat they won't even be capable of dissasembling R2...
 PoiuyWired
01-30-2007, 6:55 PM
dissasembling R2 is not that hard... getting the information out of R2 maybe near impossable, but opening him up? A huge set of tools would do the work. I mean, if a jawa can take him down thru brute force, then most people can?
 Jae Onasi
03-14-2007, 1:41 PM
There's what, a year between ESB and RotJ? Plenty of time for them to coordinate and come up with a broad rescue plan with plenty of redundancies--you can't put all your eggs in one basket when you deal with a bunch of bounty hunters.

These were never separate rescue plans--I got the impression that it was one big plan, and each had a part in it, and if one person failed, the others would be there to back up their buddies.

Obviously Lando was there for recon, but also as an extra gun when the time came, because there was no way Jabba was going to give up his prize carbonited Han without a big fight. It would have looked strange if everyone showed up all at once, so they had to sneak people in slowly.
Luke gave the droids to Jabba for backup and likely for recording purposes--they would remember everything said and everyone there--great info for taking down the Hutt's organization once they handed the relevant information over to some authority. Plus, giving perfectly good droids to Jabba virtually guaranteed that they wouldn't be destroyed, and would thus be available if Luke needed them during the rescue. Luke knew there was a high probability his weapons would get taken from him, including a lightsaber. With it hidden inside R2, he had an emergency back-up available.

Chewbacca was the excuse to get Leia in, and an extra pair of hands when the battle broke out.

They were going to need a number of people and droids to get Han out of Jabba's palace, and so these were just different parts of an overall plan to get all of them together.

The other answer: George wrote it that way, so that's why it shows up in the movie that way. :)
 MrWally
03-18-2007, 8:55 PM
I agree with Jae.

:D
 RC-1162
03-19-2007, 10:50 AM
I do believe Lilarcor makes a few points in his posts. I think maybe Lando should have done what Leia tried to do. Since he was posted as a guard, i don't think Jabba would have had any suspicions on him. But anyway, the rescue worked out, and thats what's important :D.
 PoiuyWired
03-19-2007, 2:48 PM
Well, actually the only probem most people have about the rescue would be:
1) Leia/chewie's so-called infiltration.
2) Luke's lack of saber/other weapons.

As said Leia's action is close to stupidity; I mean, do you really think you can sneak around for solo like that w/o being noticed? And even if it would work, you still get a trapped chewie.

And Luke... he knows that his mindtrick would get him in anyways. The best way would be to make a backup saber. Assuming that he does not have the resources(obi-wan only have one backup hilt) then a nice gun or three would make killing a rancor and other people easier, maybe he can hack his way thru the palace?

BTW, if he would try to hack his way thru the palace he would actually have caused less death than blowing up a barge.

And for the Fett factor... well you are going to face him anyways, one way or another. And no, I don't think Luke at the time is good enough to foresee the "Bpbba Fett! Bobba Fett, Where?" incident.
 noizer
10-25-2009, 1:39 PM

my guess is that the rebels problaby dont want to have problems with one of the most powerfull syndicates in the universe.
 gallandro
11-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Best post ever.

I would like to be there when Luke reveals his plan to the others.

Luke: "So that's it. Lando, you infiltrate. Leia, you try first. I'll send a message with the droids. This, if nothing else works, I'll come myself."

Leia: "What if he catches me and orders an instant execution?"

Luke: "I... uh... he won't?"

Lando: "More importantly, what about me if Leia succeeds? You know, Jabba's probably not fond of folks just leaving his organization. He probably won't like it if I just put in a 2 weeks notice."

Threepio: "How are Artoo and I going to leave after we deliver the message? What's to stop him from melting us down?"

Luke: "Look, I've got it all figured out..."

Leia: "I like how you're sending everyone else in first... really brave, there, Jedi."

Lando: "You know, the droid's got a point. They're not makin' it back out anyway."

Threepio: "What?"

Lando: "I mean, really. Why not just let Artoo shoot Jabba with a poison dart or something?"

Luke: "No, that's not the plan..."

Leia: "You know, you and Han personally saved the Rebel Alliance. I'm sure they'd pay Jabba off, if you just asked."

Luke: "No! You have your missions. I've got it all worked out, okay!"

Lando: "Boba Fett's probably at Jabba's palace, you know. He was kinda' there on Bespin when I betrayed Vader and tried to shoot down his ship."

Threepio: "Master, perhaps if you just asked the rebels to--"

Luke: "No! I'm not asking them, alright! I'm the Jedi, not you! Lando, Fett won't notice it's you! Leia, Jabba might catch you, but he'll only want to strip you naked and make you sit by his side!"

Leia: "Oh. Well, that's so much better..."

Luke: "And Threepio, you and Artoo just deliver the damn message. Gosh!"

Leia: "Didn't you say that you pretty much bailed on Yoda? Isn't that kind of like being a Jedi School Drop-out?"

Luke: "SHUDDUP! IT'S A GOOD PLAN!"

Leia: "Isn't there some Jedi rule about pride getting in the way of wisdom or something deep like that?"

Lando: "Wait. Did you say Leia might end up naked?"

Leia: *groans*

Lando: "I'm changing my vote. I think we should give the kid's plan a chance."
 PoiuyWired
11-01-2009, 1:57 AM
So, maybe we should thank Lando for his vote after all...
 urluckyday
11-01-2009, 1:19 PM
this thread makes me lol.
Page: 1 of 1