Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What causes a K1 Lightsaber to act like this?

Page: 1 of 1
 kata_mad
12-13-2006, 7:26 AM
I have recently downloaded a lightsaber of :USA:Hefe(I), for an Ep1 Obi-wan hilt. However I have put the files in my override folder and the following happened.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/7214/saberscrewuphm7.th.jpg) (http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=saberscrewuphm7.jpg)

[img=http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/7214/saberscrewuphm7.th.jpg]) (http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=saberscrewuphm7.jpg)

I have tried emptying my override folder to see if its a conflict but it still did the same.

What is the reason for this and how do I correct it.
 ChAiNz.2da
12-13-2006, 7:45 AM
Well.. it looks like it's missing a .txi file... that's why you're seeing the blade planes rather than a nice soft round blade...

you can easily create a .txi file by opening notepad (or other text editor) and typing this line:

blending additive
decal 1

Name the .txi the same as your blade color (just with the .txi extension instead of the .tga extension)... Make sure to save in ANSI (Save As...) rather than with a .txt suffix...

Example (blue saber): w_lsabreblue01.tga and w_lsabreblue01.txi
 kata_mad
12-13-2006, 9:27 AM
There is already an .txi file in there the files I have got for the saber are:

g_w_sbrcrstl45.uti
g_w_lghtsbr45.uti
w_lghtsbr_045.txi
w_lghtsbr_045.tga
iw_sbrcrstl_045.tga
iw_lghtsbr_045.tga
w_lghtsbr_045.mdx
w_lghtsbr_045.mdl

File names copied exactly from override folder.

in the .txi file the only words are
envmaptexture CM_Baremetal

Am I doing something wrong or is ther something else to do.
 ChAiNz.2da
12-13-2006, 9:46 AM
did USA:Hefe include .tga's for the saber colors (assuming they're custom colors)? If not, that's the problem with the mod...

The .txi file you listed are for his hilts. It pretty much makes them "shiny" metallic :) However, if he didn't include .txi's (doesn't look like it) for saber blade colors, then you'll need to make ones for them.

EDIT: Yup, there's one in the .rar file.. but just in case, drop this file in your override :)
 kata_mad
12-13-2006, 10:15 AM
Sorry to be a pain but I have tried just puting the above file in my override folder and it still has not worked do I have to do something else.
 ChAiNz.2da
12-13-2006, 10:24 AM
First, I have to ask the obvious (please forgive me, but it's happened before), did you extract the file first? The .zip file contains the .txi file that the mod comes with (or supposed to).

If you did extract it, and it's still doing that, perhaps it wasn't saved in ANSI? You could try opening the file and re-saving (use the Save As.. feature) and name it the same. See if that might help :)
 kata_mad
12-13-2006, 11:06 AM
I had extracted the file, but I have just tried re-saving it like you mentioned above but still no improvement.
 ChAiNz.2da
12-13-2006, 11:16 AM
hermm.. bummer. It's definitely a .txi problem, but it might be a mdl hex prob as well. I can't open the model at the moment (on a MAC) to see if the saber itself is pointing to the right color .tga, but that could be a problem as well..

The only thing I can think of is to create a new .txi from scratch to see if it will help (instructions in Post #2). :giveup:

Hefe hasn't been here in a loooong time, so I can't recall if he was faced with this problem when he first released it.. but I'll dig around and see if something else may come up :)

If you do create a brand new txi, be sure to name it exactly the same as the blade color.. it should be something like w_lsabreblue02.tga / w_lsabreblue02.txi
 kata_mad
12-13-2006, 1:00 PM
I have got it working now I was missing the w_lsabreblue02.tga file as well. So I extracted one from KT and now it works.

Thanks for all your help
 ChAiNz.2da
12-13-2006, 1:03 PM
Awesome :D

Glad you got it to work.. I didn't have any other ideas.. hehehe :xp:
 Achilles
12-13-2006, 1:16 PM
Word of warning: The Windu saber that Hefe made (which may or may not be part of the package that you downloaded) will cause CTDs. The texture for the hilt is not a standard size so the game freaks out when it attempts to display it. Hopes this saves you from some headaches.
 kata_mad
12-13-2006, 1:24 PM
Thanks for the warning Achilles, however it was just the Obi hilt in the package. Also I use the Windu saber from Oldflashes saber collection.
 jonathan7
12-13-2006, 1:39 PM
Hmmm, out of interest Chainz the last time I played TSL, a similar thing happened with your Darksword mod (I couldn't figure out what was wrong as I had used it previouslt) in the end I gave up and put it down to the fact I had a whole load of different mods on so there was a conflict somewhere and didnt use the Darksword.
 ChAiNz.2da
12-13-2006, 1:59 PM
Hmmm, out of interest Chainz the last time I played TSL, a similar thing happened with your Darksword mod (I couldn't figure out what was wrong as I had used it previouslt) in the end I gave up and put it down to the fact I had a whole load of different mods on so there was a conflict somewhere and didnt use the Darksword.
Did it have blade planes (like the first post pic above)? If so, then yeah.. it had a missing .txi OR there could've been a .txi mixup.

For my Darksword, the .txi is a little more fickle than just the standard blending additive... it looks like this:

proceduretype cycle
numx 4
numy 4
fps 60
decal 1
blending additive

downsamplemax 0
downsamplemin 0

Because it's set on a rotating cycle to give it more of an "electrical arc" rather than a solid(ish) tube...

For my Darksword, you must use the included .txi / .tga combinations. Since I've included multiple colors, you have to be especially careful you choose the proper matches :)
 jonathan7
12-13-2006, 7:55 PM
Cheers Chainz, was more out of interest than anything atm, Im trying to refrain from playing TSL untill TSLRP comes out, and I will play that without any mods the first time just incase of any conflictions that could occur. It is however a quality mod and a brilliant piece of work :)
Page: 1 of 1