Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Need updated exe!

Page: 1 of 1
 Sunfox
11-05-2006, 8:25 AM
So, I'm having a rather difficult time getting Sam & Max to run correctly, as it just crashes when it goes to use my MT-32 (other games such as DOTT and Fate work perfectly). I'd use ScummVM, however its MT-32 emulation is still a poor substitute, and surprisingly even its real-mode use of tht MT-32 sounds nothing like the original game does.

I've heard that there was an updated EXE released for some European compilation, and that it used to be hosted on samandmax.net... well, it's no longer there and I've searched everywhere - could some kind soul either point me to a link on the net or email it to me at [got file]?

Thanks!!
 itchythesamurai
11-05-2006, 2:35 PM
The link for help is http://samandmax.net/index.php?section=hittheroad&page=techhelp) but the servers have moved. I'm sure Metallus will get around to fixing it sometime, he's been way busy with other parts of the site.
 Sunfox
11-05-2006, 7:11 PM
Yup, that's the page-slash-file I'm looking for. In fact, I even dug up what the page used to say:

"The Updated EXE: The easiest solution for Windows users is to download and unzip the updated version of the Sam & Max Hit the Road EXE file. You'll still need your CD, of course. All you need to do after unzipping the EXE (named "Sam & Max Hit the Road.exe") is to put your original DOS version of Sam & Max in the CD drive, run the new EXE you downloaded, and that's it!

This new Windows compatible version of Sam & Max Hit the Road is designed to autodetect your Sam & Max CD in the drive, and load it up, and start playing. The game should be playing perfecttly with sound and music and smooth graphics.

This updated version has some new "smoothed" video modes to help the game look a little more modern on new systems. However, if you don't like them and want to play the game in its original pixely form, you can change it back via the instructions on this site."

The file used to be http://www.samandmax.net/files/windows_exe.zip), which also doesn't exist. :-(
 Metallus
11-05-2006, 8:48 PM
Oh no! Thanks for bringing this up. Completely slipped my mind to transfer that file over. It's uploading now, and I'll post news about it once it's ready. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Edit: Here you go! (http://www.samandmax.net/2006/11/05/site-stuff/)
 Sunfox
11-06-2006, 12:59 AM
Thanks so much!

Works great under XP, but it doesn't seem to support the MT-32... :-( ah well.
 Sunfox
11-06-2006, 2:23 AM
Hey, never mind trying to play it on my old DOS/win95 games computer (which has a fairly poor MIDI synth for Windows)... it works nicely on my MAIN computer with a SoundBlaster X-Fi! :-)
 Metallus
11-06-2006, 4:22 AM
Well, if all else fails, ScummVM works pretty great too. Glad things worked out :)
 Udvarnoky
11-06-2006, 5:54 PM
How about getting those totally illegal comic scans back up too?
 Metallus
11-06-2006, 6:32 PM
The ones that never existed, you mean?
 Udvarnoky
11-06-2006, 6:55 PM
The same.

I don't mind telling you that I cried myself to sleep when I couldn't read the Halloween special on the day it would have been most appropriate.
 itchythesamurai
11-06-2006, 7:06 PM
Mojo couldn't announce Culture Shock's release on the day it was going to be most appropriate. Do you feel for Mojo?
 Udvarnoky
11-06-2006, 8:39 PM
Couldn't? Or wouldn't?
 Metallus
11-06-2006, 8:57 PM
Wouldn't? Or doughnut?
 Udvarnoky
11-06-2006, 9:09 PM
When you strip it down to its core, is there really a difference?
 itchythesamurai
11-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Only for tax filing purposes.
 Udvarnoky
11-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Don't be ridiculous.
 SyntheticGerbil
11-07-2006, 3:25 AM
What scans? The Wizard Halloween one?

Yeah get those back on the site. As well as the missing Adventurer ones.
Page: 1 of 1