Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Trouble re-installing windows...

Page: 1 of 1
 Mav
10-31-2006, 11:51 PM
I had another thread a while back about my computer rebooting itself, and after getting the Windows boot disc from my school, I tried to repair the windows installation with no success. Since I couldn't repair my windows installation I have been trying to re-install Windows completely (re-format my harddrive and re-install windows).

So far though, I've had no success, every single time I try to re-install windows I get errors. I can re-format the harddrive fine, but when it starts to copy the windows files to the harddrive I start to get errors at around 12%. I either get a message that says:

Setup cannot copy the file: (???? File)
Hit Enter to retry
Hit Esc to skip file
Hit F3 to quit setup

or one that says

File copy was unsuccessful (something like that): (???? File)
Same options.

In the first case hitting Enter does nothing and I have no choice but to skip the file, and in the second case hitting enter a few times sometimes gets the file to copy, either way, windows doesn't install successfully.

I've tried just about everything I could think of, I've tried 2 different harddrives, one of them completely new. I've tried 2 different CD/DVD drives, 1 of them from a friends system, so I know that one works. I've tried two different boot disc's from school, and these discs are what I used originally to install windows. I've even tried 2 different motherboards, 1 completely new, so right now I'm completely baffled as to what could possibly be wrong. If anyone has an idea of what might be wrong and how I could test it, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance.
 Q
11-01-2006, 12:31 AM
Wow. I'm stumped, too. :confused:

Mav, you've already tried everything I would have thought of. I have to admit that I haven't a clue. :giveup: I would've said it was maybe your hard drive or the drive controller on the M/B, but since you've switched those out already it's obviously not them!

Hopefully either stingerhs or Astro or jmac can come up with something. Good luck.
 Astrotoy7
11-01-2006, 2:48 AM
Have you been trying to install from within xp or via a direct boot ?? ie. you need your BIOS set to boot from CDROM, then boot it duting pre startup(sometimes need to press F12 to get the "press any key to boot from CD" option.

Once setup starts, make sure you delete all partitions and format anew(do a proper reformat - not a 'quick reformat')

dont worry - we'll get to the bottom of it !!

mtfbwya
 ChAiNz.2da
11-01-2006, 3:35 AM
Astrotoy7 nailed it...

If you attempt to install XP without doing a complete reformat from a CD Boot, XP attempts to install over itself... or worse case scenario, attempt to install a new copy of itself on the same drive partition (2 copies occupying the same space).

The bugger with that is that the install isn't very 'bright'... it'll attempt to overwrite files it's currently using to do the install itself... der.. :nut:

IF you're still getting problems, and you can manage to get to a command prompt.. (via boot disk perchance) try a good old-fashioned Fdisk partition wipe. Basically obliterating your drive, partitions, etc... (no need to create a new partition with Fdisk, the CD will do that part)

You'll still need to boot from a CD, so make sure you can get into your BIOS like Astro outlined so you can make the proper settings.. and especially before messing around in the command prompt.. hehehe ;)

EDIT: IF you have problems booting from a CD, download Microsoft's XP boot disk set (you'll need 6 blank floppies):

Info on Boot Disk setup (please read before anything else)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994)

XP Home Boot Disks:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=E8FE6868-6E4F-471C-B455-BD5AFEE126D8)

XP Pro Boot Disks:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=55820EDB-5039-4955-BCB7-4FED408EA73F)
 Mav
11-01-2006, 12:40 PM
alright, well I've been trying to re-install from the BIOS, meaning yes the CDROM drive is the primary boot drive, I get to the "press any key to boot from CD" part, and I press a button. But I'll try deleting all the partitions and reformating, and see if that works, it might take me a while to get the boot cd back from school, I can only borrow it for 24 hour periods at a time :( Although, I'm curious, if all I'd needed to do is delete the partitions and start "brand new" shouldn't it have worked when I tried to do it with a brand new harddrive? Anyway, thanks for the advice, once I get a boot cd, I'll let you know how it worked.
 Negative Sun
11-01-2006, 6:23 PM
Where did you get that hard drive?
Was it brand new from the store? And even then, it doesn't hurt to make sure it's completely clean does it? ;)
 Astrotoy7
11-02-2006, 3:35 AM
.... it might take me a while to get the boot cd back from school, I can only borrow it for 24 hour periods at a time :(

you mean the Windows OS installation CD right ?? OS Installation discs and system recovery discs are VERY different. Both are indeed bootable but system recovery discs are images of a windows installation.

please let us know what type of CD you have. This may be the key to your problem. In fact, if you are trying to install from a recovery disc within xp that WONT work at all !!!

Did you originally install xp from that disc, or are you using that disc to recover your xp...?? You need to know that xp discs are individualised - with their own cd key etc - when doing a fresh new install may need to ensure you have its CD key etc.

mtfbwya
 TSR
11-02-2006, 4:18 AM
Unless someone has been nice enought to crack it, AT :p
 Astrotoy7
11-02-2006, 4:33 AM
Unless someone has been nice enought to crack it, AT :p

:(

as per forum rules of conduct
6. Illegal material

Do not post links to sites that contain illegal material or discuss where to obtain illegal material (ie: where to get illegal MP3s, warez, etc.). Do not post magazine scans and other copyrighted material. This is prohibited. Discussions about how to perform activities that are illegal in the US are also prohibited.

SR...you don't need to be reminded that talking about such things openly on the forums is a no-no.

Don't do it again.

mtfbwya
 TSR
11-02-2006, 4:37 AM
oooh, busted :(
Not that i want to antagonise the situation, but i technically didnt infringe on the rule you mentioned ;)
 Mav
11-02-2006, 10:26 AM
you mean the Windows OS installation CD right ?? OS Installation discs and system recovery discs are VERY different. Both are indeed bootable but system recovery discs are images of a windows installation.

please let us know what type of CD you have. This may be the key to your problem. In fact, if you are trying to install from a recovery disc within xp that WONT work at all !!!

Did you originally install xp from that disc, or are you using that disc to recover your xp...?? You need to know that xp discs are individualised - with their own cd key etc - when doing a fresh new install may need to ensure you have its CD key etc.

mtfbwyaI'm pretty sure it's a Windows OS installation CD, it comes with a CD key and it's the disc I used to originally install windows when I first got my desktop. I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure it's an installation CD, haven't been able to get it from school yet though.
 Mav
11-02-2006, 5:30 PM
Alright I got the installation disc from school today, I deleted the partition and made a fresh one, attempted to install and got the same hang up. I talked to an IT friend of my mom's and he said it could be one of three things. First and least likely the RAM. Second, at not very likely, the IDE and SATA cables, I've swapped both out several times so I don't think it's those. Lastly, he suggested that my Power Supply might be "broken", he said it would explain the repetitive rebooting problem I had before as well as the file copy issues, so I'm going to go into town, Best Buy or someplace and pick up a new Power Supply and see if that doesn't work, wish me luck.

Edit: Finally figured it out!!! it was the RAM of all things, I'm borrowing a couple of sticks from my friend (totaling 512 MB, yuck!) until I can RMA and get new fresh Gig sticks back from NewEgg, thanks for the help everyone.
 Astrotoy7
11-03-2006, 3:35 AM
cool. This is a perfect example of the benefits of getting one of those motherboards that talk :D

My asus a8n-sli premium actually talks(in a ladies voice) when there are errors like that :p

I think in future people should clarify what they have and havent checked. In your first post you said you've checked everything you can think of...as RAM would be one of the things you'd naturally first check, our attention got diverted away to software issues :) no matter....now fixed !!

mtfbwya
Page: 1 of 1