Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Custom Title?

Page: 2 of 2
 ChAiNz.2da
11-14-2006, 2:57 PM
Also, I thought this Thread had died.
Yeah.. me too :¬:

Sorry gang, but this subject has risen up sooo many times. The policy isn't changing any time soon, and making threads over it definitely won't make it happen any faster. ;)

Admins will, in time, try to implement a ranking system so that "Registered User" will become a thing in the past.. but there's alot of work still to be done in the infrastructure of LFnet before any of the 'fun' stuff gets done.

Please be patient. The Admins are well aware of your desire for something better than "Registered User" (I'm right there with ya' gang)...
 Hayden Kered
11-14-2006, 3:27 PM
Also, I thought this Thread had died.
It hasn't been dead for long!

Sorry gang, but this subject has risen up sooo many times. The policy isn't changing any time soon, and making threads over it definitely won't make it happen any faster.

Admins will, in time, try to implement a ranking system so that "Registered User" will become a thing in the past.. but there's alot of work still to be done in the infrastructure of LFnet before any of the 'fun' stuff gets done.

Please be patient. The Admins are well aware of your desire for something better than "Registered User" (I'm right there with ya' gang)...
Understandable! But at least we tried.:xp:
 Diego Varen
02-22-2007, 1:43 AM
Sorry to ressurect this Thread, but I've noticed that the Mods have given members that have under 1000 posts, titles like Rookie and Veteran. Thanks to the Mods or Admins who made this possible and it is much better than the boring Registered User.
 90SK
02-22-2007, 1:46 AM
Indeed, I was just noticing this as well. Definitely an improvement over the redundant "Registered User" status.
 mjpb3
02-22-2007, 5:36 AM
^^^

Hmmm... just noticed this...
(Tells how observant I am! :xp: )

Apparently I am "Regular"... :eyeraise:

Hrm... I don't want to cast a bad light on the idea -- which is great BTW -- but "Regular" doesn't sound all that appealing -- to me at least. :roleyess:

Could us "Regular" folks get a title that doesn't sound like it is referring to -- ummm --- our bodily functions instead? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just a thought...
 Rogue Nine
02-22-2007, 7:39 AM
Someone always has to look the gift horse in the mouth. :xp:
 Diego Varen
02-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Is there anywhere that tells us what Custom Title you have, depending on the limit of posts you have. I know that once you have over 1000, you can use what you want. Thanks to anyone who tells me this and I do know that Lurker is the first title you have when you join.
 mjpb3
02-22-2007, 5:15 PM
Someone always has to look the gift horse in the mouth. :xp:

Well! I just didn't want to be seen as having Regular underneath my forum name. Looked... bizarre, to say the least. :xp:

Forumite I can live with. Thanks! :thumbsup:
 mimartin
02-22-2007, 5:37 PM
I’m not overly found of the title “Junior Member,” but it beats "Registered User." (Well at least I think it does. At least it better than “Banned”).

Thanks for a change anyways. At my current pace it will be 2011 or 2012 before I get my custom title, so this was a nice surprise. Thanks all.
 SithRevan
02-23-2007, 3:06 AM
The custom titles guys! The only thing I would change though is my title. I should be the "Supreme Forumite".:lol: Well I guess heres to dreaming...:cheers:
 Kristy Kistic
02-25-2007, 8:09 AM
Ooooh - I always wanted to be a rookie :urpboun:
 Mace MacLeod
02-25-2007, 1:18 PM
Is there a list somewhere of the new forum titles? Must be blind or something, cause I can't seem to find it...
 Jeff
02-25-2007, 2:47 PM
I don't think theres an official list anywhere of the new ones, but I think it goes like this:

0 - Lurker
10 - Rookie
250 - Junior Member
500 - Forumite
750 - Veteran
1,000 - custom title
 RC-1162
02-28-2007, 2:57 AM
w00t! i'm away for a month and things begin to happen here! maybe i should leave more often :D.
i'd like to shake the hand of the cool guy who managed to bring these titles back up. :)
 HK-42
04-01-2007, 5:43 PM
Im Having a problem with the custom title, i just got my 1000 post and i can't find where you change the title, where is it?
 Commander Obi-Wan
04-01-2007, 5:45 PM
Im Having a problem with the custom title, i just got my 1000 post and i can't find where you change the title, where is it?

You'll have to wait for a while. Check in a few hours.

User CP > Profile

You'll find it soon enough, Just be patient.
 Jae Onasi
04-01-2007, 7:33 PM
You have to have 1001 posts.
 stoffe
04-01-2007, 7:48 PM
You'll have to wait for a while. Check in a few hours.

I think the scheduled task that checks post count and moves people over to the other user group allowing a custom title runs once per hour or so, so just waiting a while should fix that, for future reference. :)
 TheRealDem
04-03-2007, 11:28 PM
Why dont we just have a Karma system like roosterteeth?Example my profile: http://rvb.roosterteeth.com/members/profile.php?uid=464973)
 Det. Bart Lasiter
04-04-2007, 10:43 AM
I think reputation is a feature of vB 3.6+ (I don't exactly keep up with the development of it though so I may be wrong).
 stoffe
04-04-2007, 11:06 AM
I think reputation is a feature of vB 3.6+ (I don't exactly keep up with the development of it though so I may be wrong).

There is a Reputation power field on the user profile screen here, though I don't know if it has anything to do with the type of reputation you're referring to. If it has then it's likely supported by vBulletin 3 but turned off at LucasForums. An admin will have to answer that since I can't see the forum settings.

As for reputation/karma I personally don't see the point of it. On the few forums I'm lurking on that has this feature it doesn't seem to be an indicator of anything. :) What purpose does it serve?
 Darth333
04-04-2007, 11:17 AM
There is indeed a reputation feature which is similar to the Karma thing but it has not been enabled and will likely never be. As stoffe, I don't see the point in enabling such feature. Titles are much better IMHO: they're fun and it's an objective method which is available to everyone contrary to Karma/reputation which is entirely dependant on the votes and comments made by others.
 TheRealDem
04-04-2007, 12:11 PM
There is a Reputation power field on the user profile screen here, though I don't know if it has anything to do with the type of reputation you're referring to. If it has then it's likely supported by vBulletin 3 but turned off at LucasForums. An admin will have to answer that since I can't see the forum settings.

As for reputation/karma I personally don't see the point of it. On the few forums I'm lurking on that has this feature it doesn't seem to be an indicator of anything. :) What purpose does it serve?

It just states that youve been on for a long time and post a lot and are really active.Because anyone with a custom title could say theyre special.While unlike redvsblue which has a thing where sponsors get custom titles.And they have access to really cool stuff,SWK users can suck up to the mods to change their title.
 stoffe
04-04-2007, 12:30 PM
It just states that youve been on for a long time and post a lot and are really active.Because anyone with a custom title could say theyre special.While unlike redvsblue which has a thing where sponsors get custom titles.And they have access to really cool stuff,SWK users can suck up to the mods to change their title.

Does it really matter that someone has been around for a long time and post a lot? Personally I don't think that makes someone's opinions inherently worth more than everybody else's. :)

And those that do think it's important for whatever reason can still see it since the Registration date and number of posts is displayed in the bar to the left every time someone posts.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just a bit curious what the point of the reputation/karma system is since I can't really see it. :) What does the karma/reputation reflect? That someone has been around a long time? That someone has a lot of friends on the forums or is generally well liked? Would you really need to quantify that into a number? :)
 TheRealDem
04-04-2007, 3:27 PM
Why dont you ask the guys who made the site?
 Emperor Devon
04-04-2007, 6:23 PM
Why dont you ask the guys who made the site?

But since you're the person who's been suggesting the idea, don't you think it would make more sense to ask you? :)

Personally I'm against it as well. Nothing could arise from an official reputation system than popularity contests, angst about not getting good enough ratings from people, lots of debate about the point of having it, and probably some spammy threads.

What would the benefits be of having an official reputation system be anyway? None come to mind with me. IMO all they do is put less importance on post quality and more on popularity.
 TheRealDem
04-04-2007, 6:39 PM
Q: What is karma? What gives me karma? What makes me lose karma?
A: Karma is a rating system where your karma level is raised based on how much you use the site and how much positive feedback other users give you. You can gain karma for making comments that get modded up and you can lose karma for making comments that get modded down.
Q: What are mod points? How can I get mod points?
A: Mod points are ratings given to various posts around the site. You can gain mod points by using the site and making positive comments that get modded up.

Thats taken from the RoosterTeeth FAQ theyre are tons of users on The RoosterTeeth site and they havent complained about it.And the sites been around for 3-4 years.So its basically a good system.And What is sponsorship?

Sponsorship FAQ
http://rvb.roosterteeth.com/faq/?id=8)
Hey its 10 bucks for six months and well worth it if I might add.Thats better than posting 1000 times for a custom title.Now there are ways we could morph this.

1.Pay $10 once for the rest of the time this site is up(Probably forever)
2.Once you pay you can edit your name, title, and get access to other stuff like protected forums for like sponsors and stuff.Now is that really a hassle?
3.We test this for a month if it works we stick with it.If not we scrap it and brainwash everyone so it never happened.

What do you think?

EDIT:Theres also an award system where well get into much later.
 Emperor Devon
04-04-2007, 7:20 PM
2.Once you pay you can edit your name, title, and get access to other stuff like protected forums for like sponsors and stuff.Now is that really a hassle?

Well, there's the matter that no here would want to pay $10 to just to change their names (not a lot of people do that anyway) or their titles. Even then, would you have to pay the 6-month fee constantly to keep your custom title or just to change it? If it's just to change it, then that's another reason not to pay - a lot of people have had their titles for months and probably won't be changing them soon (me included). If you've got to pay just to keep your title, then that's ridiculous - if I wanted to be called "Jae Onasi's Nemesis" for 2 1/2 years, that would cost me $50. I can think of a lot of things I'd rather spend that money on than three words which show up on an online forum. (For Pete's sake, I could buy a video game that could keep entertained for longer than that with $50)

Since paying for custom titles and name changes is essentially worthless, the only thing left would be the private sponsor forums, which I suspect would be extremely boring to use. I doubt many people would be willing to pay $10 a month to post in them, so even if you were willing to there'd be next to no one to chat with. Why would I want to pay a monthly fee for a forum that's more boring than the free one? And even supposing you could get a large enough umber of people to pay for that forum, what could it offer that the regular one couldn't?

Meh, not much of a point to it. The $10 wouldn't get you very much, could cost a lot if you plan to stay at LF for a while, and would probably become just another status symbol along with post counts and join dates.
 TheRealDem
04-04-2007, 7:54 PM
I never said its month its pay 10 dollars once and only once you misunderstood me.I meant while the site lasted as in if the site has a problem and gets closed down.Im not saying it will so I doubt a meesly 10 dollars would hurt.And getting 1000 posts would take longer than getting 10 dollars saved up for a sponsorship.
 Commander Obi-Wan
04-04-2007, 8:16 PM
I honestly don't see why we (LF) would need this. I think the current system we have, would be more suitable. A custom title should be a privilege and over time, you'll acquire that custom title by posted 1000+ times.

I also think it would be too confusing to change to this system you are talking about. I don't think many people would want to pay a fee of some sort to get a custom title and what not. Also, it would get to hectic with the name changing and all that. This forum is relatively big and wouldn't work as well, IMO. It would work better if, you just start a forum maybe. But, I don't think many people would go for this idea.
 Rogue Nine
04-04-2007, 8:20 PM
LucasForums has operated in its current form for more or less 6 years now. I see no need to switch to something that is as cumbersome-looking as that, nor do I see the need to require a fee to access certain amenities, such as custom titles. The 1000 post requirement for the title behooves the user who desires it to stay and make worthwhile posts to obtain it. I think that is a far better motivator than simply spending $10.

We are not Rooster Teeth. We are LucasForums. End of story.
Page: 2 of 2