Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Custom Title?

Page: 1 of 2
 RC-1162
10-24-2006, 2:33 PM
no this isn't a rant about how the post count limit till one gets a custom title should be reduced or anything.

i was just wondering, we have a name change thread up on the main feedback board and it seems to be flourishing. now, looking at users like Fuu and Machievelli, i can be sure that an Admin or a Super Mod has modified their custom title as per their personal request, so i was thinking, why not make a Custom Title thread where people can have their titles changed, just like their names? i'm sure everyone has at least something in mind.

would it be do-able?
 stoffe
10-24-2006, 2:36 PM
Maybe I'm dense, but why then not give everyone the ability to change their title directly then instead? The end result would be the same, only with less manual work required by the staff. Or am I missing something? :)

If custom titles are meant as some sort of reward for people who post a lot or have otherwise made themselves deserving of one (which I've gotten the impression is the case), giving everyone a custom title whenever they asked for it would negate that "reward" as effectively as if they could change it themselves, no?
 RC-1162
10-24-2006, 2:40 PM
you make a good point, but i'm sure users are bored of the ol' "Registered User"

or how about this: a user gets to choose one title, which he/she will keep till the 1000 post limit without changing and then it goes on as usual?
 Diego Varen
10-24-2006, 2:40 PM
Doubt it would be a good idea, since we can change the Custom Titles ourselves, once we reach 1000 posts. But for members with less than 1000 posts, I suppose it would be good.
 RC-1162
10-24-2006, 2:43 PM
actually, i was speaking for the -1000 posts people, Pottsie :)
 Diego Varen
10-24-2006, 2:47 PM
actually, i was speaking for the -1000 posts people, Pottsie :)

Oh right. If the Moderators decide to do this for people, then I would have used the service, when I didn't have 1000 posts. Also I agree with your second post.

you make a good point, but i'm sure users are bored of the ol' "Registered User"

or how about this: a user gets to choose one title, which he/she will keep till the 1000 post limit without changing and then it goes on as usual?
 Darth333
10-24-2006, 3:26 PM
If custom titles are meant as some sort of reward for people who post a lot or have otherwise made themselves deserving of one (which I've gotten the impression is the case), giving everyone a custom title whenever they asked for it would negate that "reward" as effectively as if they could change it themselves, no?
That is the whole point of the 1000 posts requirement. This requirement has been discussed among the staff several times in the past and it looks like it won't be lowered. We occasionally make exceptions for people who have contributed to the community in a very special manner such machievelli for all the hard work he puts in reviewing the fanfics and the toolmakers (Fred Tetra, cchargin, tk102, stoffe) without whom the swk community would barely exist. It's a way to say thank you to them.

However, with time it is not excluded that a ranking system be re-implemented.
 Emperor Devon
10-24-2006, 10:06 PM
We occasionally make exceptions for people who have contributed to the community in a very special manner

There's also corruption. I read somewhere that one of the admins "has a thing" for Fuu, and that's how she got her custom title early. :p
 Jae Onasi
10-25-2006, 12:28 AM
Hey, come on. It has to be her cool avatar! :)
 Sabretooth
10-25-2006, 4:08 AM
Man, I miss all those titles we used to have before. I mean, if you were 1-100 posts, you were Bantha Fodder and so on... Any chance you moddies can bring that back? I'll admit, Reg. User is a very boring title.
 RC-1162
10-25-2006, 4:30 AM
it seems Rhett and the rest of the group are working on it.

but i still think my second idea would be a more crowd pleasing thing ;)
 Rogue Nine
10-25-2006, 9:39 AM
Well, I have yet to see a sub-1000 poster here in this thread...
 Ghost Down
10-25-2006, 10:19 AM
Yep!

Sounds good to me! ;)

- Ghost Down
 RC-1162
10-25-2006, 2:53 PM
^^^
you have one there, Rogue :)
 TSR
10-25-2006, 4:51 PM
Ouch. I really don't give a damm about mine. I suppose it gives some form of "i've been here longer than you" aura to the -1000's, and therefore plays along with the "higher post count, better person" theory. Just give everyone the damm thing, and maybe borrow the idea that lionhead have got on their boards, "karma" badges and power. If you misunderstand me, just check it out @ www.lionhead.com)
It's a neat little idea, and shows taht having a big post count doesnt mean that you are "better2 than them, thus why some of the 5000+ have -respect/power.
 Sabretooth
10-26-2006, 2:12 AM
Ouch. I really don't give a damm about mine. I suppose it gives some form of "i've been here longer than you" aura to the -1000's, and therefore plays along with the "higher post count, better person" theory. Just give everyone the damm thing, and maybe borrow the idea that lionhead have got on their boards, "karma" badges and power. If you misunderstand me, just check it out @ www.lionhead.com)
It's a neat little idea, and shows taht having a big post count doesnt mean that you are "better2 than them, thus why some of the 5000+ have -respect/power.

It looks interesting, but it probably works in a technical community. If you ask me, it will only create more differences. Besides, we don't exactly need that system with us, it'll cause n00bs to bitch and veterans to flaunt.

BUT, we can probably award Importance or Useful badges to users, who have contributed the community in a special way. So Machie can probably get badges like Ubereviewer or Supreme Critic, etc. People can get badges like Knowledgeable, or Resourceful etc. So if a noob posts a thread in a forum full of bums, he can search out a Technical Expert and PM to find out... Get my drift?

Its like Lionhead, but I found lionhead having offensive stuff too, like "This user is best ignored." Does that create a good impression on some promising newbies? :p
 stoffe
10-26-2006, 6:18 AM
"karma badges and power" -TheSuperRodian
"we can probably award Importance or Useful badges to users" -Sabretooth

Why the need to label, rank, categorize and classify people in different groups of apparent worth?

Judge people by what they write rather than by how many flashy titles, icons, numbers and group memberships they have in their side-bar. You don't need to have thousands of posts, a decade-old registration date and be a member of the VIP club to have something worthwhile to write. :)

Besides, ranking systems are just people's subjective opinions which not everyone may agree with, and may be abused, so they wouldn't be all that reliable anyway. And people who place importance in such virtual potency extenders may feel treated unfairly if they don't get what they feel they deserve. :)

(Just my personal opinion, I have no more influence over this matter than you do. :))
 Hayden Kered
10-26-2006, 6:59 AM
Why not let every one have the custom title change, and then reward those who have contributed to the forums with a personalized sig of awardence. Why does every one need to be taged as a Registered User? It's obvious that just about every one here is a registered user if they are replying to the threads.
 Sabretooth
10-26-2006, 7:36 AM
Why the need to label, rank, categorize and classify people in different groups of apparent worth?

Judge people by what they write rather than by how many flashy titles, icons, numbers and group memberships they have in their side-bar. You don't need to have thousands of posts, a decade-old registration date and be a member of the VIP club to have something worthwhile to write. :)

Besides, ranking systems are just people's subjective opinions which not everyone may agree with, and may be abused, so they wouldn't be all that reliable anyway. And people who place importance in such virtual potency extenders may feel treated unfairly if they don't get what they feel they deserve. :)

(Just my personal opinion, I have no more influence over this matter than you do. :))

Amen to that, stoffe. I didn't support the idea much anyways. I just wanted a flashy title myself. :joy:
 Jae Onasi
10-26-2006, 9:47 AM

(snipped most excellent material)

The only way I could agree more with this is if I were standing in stoffe's shoes. :)
 Prime
10-26-2006, 10:25 AM
There are only two categories:

1. Posts ****
2. Doesn't post ****
 RC-1162
10-26-2006, 11:51 AM
good point. what if it's both though?

anyway, i guess that pretty much sums up my question, i mean, there's always your sig... :D
 swphreak
10-26-2006, 12:30 PM
I think someone is working on restoring the old Titles. If not, I'll look into it.

As for users below 1k with custom titles, just means an admin likes them. :p
 Jae Onasi
10-26-2006, 3:43 PM
Personally, I'd rather be a 'registered user' than 'bantha fodder', but that's me. :)
 TSR
10-26-2006, 3:48 PM
It looks interesting, but it probably works in a technical community. If you ask me, it will only create more differences. Besides, we don't exactly need that system with us, it'll cause n00bs to bitch and veterans to flaunt.

Thinking about it, you're right. In my short time i spent there, i was abit worried by some of the threads that were going (one labelled "thread of doom", where users could post and ask to be banned, which sounds amusing, but not when the mods decided it would be funny to multiply that time by 10 and IP ban the people...) also, in any forum, there is going to be that "moderator-not modrator2 divide, with the latter frowning and hbitching about the former just because the latter isnt the former. So blatantly flashing around status doesnt seem such a good idea come to think of it...

this sounds worringly like communism to me.
 Feagildin
10-26-2006, 3:55 PM
Well, I have yet to see a sub-1000 poster here in this thread...

Hi.

Just for the record, and to stay on topic, I don't mind waiting for a custom title. Though I think 1000 posts is a bit high. Some of us have very narrow views on what threads are post worthy and which ones aren't. Actually, I'm just lazy at the whole forum thing. To sum up my random posting in this thread, I don't care what the titles are, or when or if I get a custom one, as long as I'm never titled as Bantha Fodder. :)
 Darth333
10-26-2006, 4:42 PM
as long as I'm never titled as Bantha Fodder. :)
:o That title was part of our old rank list: http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=1075116&postcount=6)

We are discussing the possibility to re-enable something similar.
 TSR
10-26-2006, 4:46 PM
I don't mind it :D
 RC-1162
10-26-2006, 5:18 PM
man, for a second you had me shocked at the speed with which these guys re-enabled the system.
then i noticed that you didn't capitalise your "bantha" and that you were 1000 posts + :p
 TSR
10-26-2006, 5:25 PM
What typo? And who changed my name?... ;)
 RC-1162
10-26-2006, 5:42 PM
too late :xp:
 Sabretooth
10-27-2006, 1:46 AM
Personally, I'd rather be a 'registered user' than 'bantha fodder', but that's me. :)

See? Motivates you to post more and advance to something cooler. :D
 Prime
10-27-2006, 9:24 AM
See? Motivates you to post more and advance to something cooler. :DOr spam...
 TSR
10-27-2006, 9:59 AM
And the award for the most pessimistic post goes to prime...
I'm pretty sure that people arent going to post random crap just to get their little label underneath their name changed. I didnt. And anywya, the reason there are awards and promotions (in sense) is because it goes to show hoe helpful and respectful people are, not how big a post count they have. Post count means very little, its just another way of identifying the differences between people.
 Sabretooth
10-27-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm pretty sure that people arent going to post random crap just to get their little label underneath their name changed. I didnt. And anywya, the reason there are awards and promotions (in sense) is because it goes to show hoe helpful and respectful people are, not how big a post count they have. Post count means very little, its just another way of identifying the differences between people.

Actually, people do spam just to get the thing under their name changed, either because they're n00bs, or because they want respect.

No matter what the case, you cannot erase the fact that post count more or less dictates your authority. It might be subconscious, but it's there. The bigger post count a guy has, the more people will grow to respect him at first glance. You cannot deny the fact that first impressions are the most important, especially on the murky, gloomy web.
 Feagildin
10-27-2006, 11:58 AM
Umm, I don't even read post counts, except in this thread. LoL Or once in a while I'll notice a 1 under post count.
 TSR
10-27-2006, 1:05 PM
Actually, people do spam just to get the thing under their name changed, either because they're n00bs, or because they want respect..
respect should be earnt, not rewarded for posting multiple times. Take Mag_opus in the republic commando forum. 25 posts and he's one of the most respected people that posts there IMO. he has made some of the best sigs i have ever seen, yet with minimal post count he's a hit. So, although some people may be mislead by the "bigger post count, better person2 concept, heres proof that isnt it.
 Jae Onasi
10-27-2006, 2:56 PM
I'm pretty sure that people arent going to post random crap just to get their little label underneath their name changed. I didnt.

Believe me, all moderators delete random spammy crap on a pretty regular basis by people who are just posting a whole lot of nothing to get to the 1001 point. I don't complain because I've had random crap deleted, too. :)
 TSR
10-27-2006, 7:02 PM
They delete random crappy posts?

*minuses 1838 posts from post count*

aww,snap.
 The Doctor
10-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Yeah, they delete it. They might temp-ban you, too. :xp:

Good times...

Anyway, as to the topic of the thread... I really don't see the point. If the admins are going to let people have a custom title from the beginning, why not just get rid of the 1000 post requirement altogether? It seems highly... illogical.
 Sabretooth
10-28-2006, 2:36 AM
respect should be earnt, not rewarded for posting multiple times. Take Mag_opus in the republic commando forum. 25 posts and he's one of the most respected people that posts there IMO. he has made some of the best sigs i have ever seen, yet with minimal post count he's a hit. So, although some people may be mislead by the "bigger post count, better person2 concept, heres proof that isnt it.

Just how many people visit that forum? A handful of spammers. I know there's you, me, RC, Bomberman and Opus. I don't think a limited opinion of respect actually counts. There is just nobody there. Here in Ahto, we have a much larger base of regulars. I believe it would be more difficult to earn respect here. There is nothing that can be done about the whole big-post-count thing, in my opinion, save removing the Post Counter, which I am sure will not be too much of a popular idea...
 RC-1162
10-28-2006, 4:21 AM
well, even in SWK, Mach is kind of a God at the CEC, even though his computer is messed up occasionally and he refuses to give us allowance :D
 TSR
10-28-2006, 3:28 PM
well, even in SWK, Mach is kind of a God at the CEC, even though his computer is messed up occasionally and he refuses to give us allowance :D

Didn't understand one word of that mate ;)
 HerbieZ
10-29-2006, 6:38 AM
Okay IF you are going to remove the 1000 post count. Don't do it before i reach it or il scream. I like the rank idea system though, some nice star wars themed ones based on Jedi would be good. As for garnering respect based on post count. I don't think it's right, i mean im near a thousand posts and most of mine are meaningless but on the off chance i do sometimes have something important to say i don't want people to judge me by my previous posts and not read the important stuff i write.
 RC-1162
10-29-2006, 6:52 AM
Didn't understand one word of that mate ;)
eh, you need to be a writer and/or visit the CEC often to know what i'm talking about. :p
 Hayden Kered
11-13-2006, 9:39 PM
I just had an idea. Since the holidays are around the corner, why not grant every one the ability to change their custom title? A PM could be sent to every one that is under 1000 posts notifying them about the "hoilday special". But, This would only last untill January 1st. It could be a little gift from all the great Moderators.:xp:
 Emperor Devon
11-14-2006, 1:51 AM
That would only last a few days, and to say that there are a lot of members with under 1,000 posts would be the understatement of this millenium. It would take way too much effort. :)
 RC-1162
11-14-2006, 12:20 PM
wait, what if this feature was enabled as a christmas special and they get to keep the title till next christmas or the 1000 post mark, whichever comes first. any comments?
 Hayden Kered
11-14-2006, 2:37 PM
^^^
That's an even better idea!
 Diego Varen
11-14-2006, 2:44 PM
wait, what if this feature was enabled as a christmas special and they get to keep the title till next christmas or the 1000 post mark, whichever comes first. any comments?

That's a good idea RC, but let's see what the Mods have to say. Also, I thought this Thread had died.
Page: 1 of 2