Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Tartan Patrol Cruiser.

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth Ablett
10-07-2006, 5:00 AM
Is this an actual Consortium unit? It was in the demo, if I wasn't seeing things.

If so, why? The consortium already has a cool, unique corvette - the crusader - so why would they have smelly old tartans as well?

I don't quite see the reasoning for this, that's all. :ninja2:
 _x_Darth-Max_x_
10-07-2006, 5:12 AM
Ablett i assume u have seen the Video over at IGN.. Where the Consortium is going through the Death star wreckage. The tartan patrol cruisers are actually bribed by Tyber. So they are in his control. But not buildable ;)
 Darth Ablett
10-07-2006, 5:38 AM
Ablett i assume u have seen the Video over at IGN.. Where the Consortium is going through the Death star wreckage. The tartan patrol cruisers are actually bribed by Tyber. So they are in his control. But not buildable ;)

Yeah, I saw that and that was fine, but aren't Tartans buildable by the Consortium in the demo? As in, just a regular unit you build from a Consortium space station, not a special place like the Venator.
 Artoo-Eetoo
10-07-2006, 8:54 AM
The taranta is buildable after the piracy mission.
Every Piracy mission unlocks a new ship (rebel, imperial ect...)
Here a part of code to prove it:
Corruption_1_Success_Unlock_Unit_Type Underworld_TIE_Defender_Squadron
 FunSolo
10-07-2006, 9:17 AM
confirmed. it is buildable in the demo.
and i am wondering about that, too.
 Darth Anarch
10-07-2006, 9:49 AM
I'm sure I read the devs say somewhere that the Consortium could access some units from both the Empire and Rebellion by doing something or other. I'm sure the Tartan will stay an Imperial unit in the game.

And didn't the devs also say something about how Tyber's "bribe" ability only worked on land? Not in space battles?
 Artoo-Eetoo
10-07-2006, 9:56 AM
Yes .. I checked the planets.xml from the foc demo and it has those coruption missions data.
Every piracy mission grants a new buildable space unit rebel and Imp low tech
frigates and corvets and high-tech fighters.
 FunSolo
10-07-2006, 10:25 AM
i guess.... this will endup in some "interesting fleet results" ingame :D
 Darth Ablett
10-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Yes .. I checked the planets.xml from the foc demo and it has those coruption missions data.
Every piracy mission grants a new buildable space unit rebel and Imp low tech
frigates and corvets and high-tech fighters.

So we could see a Consortium force with B-wings and TIE Defenders? Ooh dear, that ain't good for the other sides!
 Delphi-PG
10-07-2006, 2:22 PM
Piracy aquires enemy ship types for the Consortium. These range from Tartans to Nebulons. Crime, in the Star Wars universe, always pays.
 Darth Anarch
10-07-2006, 7:13 PM
If crime didn't pay, there would be no criminals. :D
 BanthaFodder01
10-07-2006, 10:31 PM
I thot the demo was a bit short but anyways lol.

The tartans are buildable at least I think. The consortium probably uses the schematics or something, who knows.
 Darth Windu
10-08-2006, 1:55 AM
Delphi - so the Consortium can't acquire the larger ships, such as the Imperial Star Destroyer and Mon Cal Cruiser?
 Darth Ablett
10-08-2006, 4:41 AM
Delphi - so the Consortium can't acquire the larger ships, such as the Imperial Star Destroyer and Mon Cal Cruiser?

I'd hope not - besides the obvious gameplay imbalance this would create, in-universe only 1 ISD has ever been stolen, to the best of my knowledge.

I wonder what fighters the Consortium can steal? I doubt they could steal the high-powered ones like A-wings or TIE Phantoms.
 Artoo-Eetoo
10-08-2006, 5:49 AM
If it goes for wath units can be stolen by Tyber's forces :)
LIST:
Acclamator_Underworld
Tartan_Underworld
Broadside_Underworld
Nebulon_B_Underworld
Marauder_Underworld
Underworld_A_Wing_Squadron
Underworld_TIE_Defender_Squadron
 Delphi-PG
10-08-2006, 1:40 PM

No the Agressor and Keldabe are more than enough to cripple the Rebels and Empire.
 gswift
10-08-2006, 2:38 PM
So, when they steal units from the other factions, will they be identical to the original unit or will Tyber customize them for his faction?

P.S. Delphi, are they making you work seven days a week now?
 Artoo-Eetoo
10-08-2006, 2:49 PM
If I checked the XML right they will be identical but the purchase cost will be much higer. eg. A-wing Rebel 60c UNDERWORLD 500c
 _x_Darth-Max_x_
10-08-2006, 3:47 PM
Then whats the Use of doing all the Trouble for a Higher Cost.. Star Vipers are pretty good.. ;)
 Darth Anarch
10-08-2006, 3:48 PM
Wait a second.... A-wings cost 60 credits for the Rebels? In EaW it's 300. Have they changed the price of any of the ships?
 Artoo-Eetoo
10-08-2006, 3:59 PM
A this must be the efect of devs "playing" with xml's :) this was strange for me too.
BTW some other Nebulon-B Rebel 2200c Underworld 2400c

Also the slavery as a expanded Piracy coruption will be veary interesting....
Haveing a army of genosians, wokiess, gungans :) ect... will give Tyber a nice forces mix up.
 TheMonsterOfTheIsland
10-08-2006, 11:19 PM
A-Wings and Tie Defenders... I'm not sure that that is necessary, correct, or fair.

I mean, TIE Defenders are too sweet to be stealable. But when did anyone actually steal these ships?

Ah, whatever.

Why both the maurader and the broadside though? They're identical; it seems redundant.
 _x_Darth-Max_x_
10-09-2006, 10:25 AM
A-wings and Tie defenders shouldn't be Stealable.. :O They are one of the best Ships of each Faction.. Making them Stealable for the Zahn consortium will be Very weird, and Very strong
 Artoo-Eetoo
10-09-2006, 10:55 AM
This is because Tyber dosen't have advenced fighters (Imps have Tie-Defenders and Phantoms, Rebels A-wings and B-Wings) only the one good Buzzed Starviper :)
 Darth Anarch
10-09-2006, 11:42 AM
He has Skiprays too, though.
 _x_Darth-Max_x_
10-09-2006, 11:44 AM
And Skiprays are pretty good :)
 Artoo-Eetoo
10-09-2006, 12:42 PM
:) Rebels and Imps have bombers too .... so don't say....

IMP ---- REB ---- UNDERWORLD!
TIE ---- X-WING ---- STARVIPER
TIE-B ---- Y-WING ---- SKIPRAY
TIE-D ---- A-WING ---- (TIE_D :))
TIE-P ---- B-WING ---- (A-WING :))
 _x_Darth-Max_x_
10-09-2006, 3:03 PM
Still.. not all Consortium units have been Revealed.. + Seeing Defenders and A-wings at Consortium doesn't Float my boat.. Although Nebulon-B Frigates in hands of the Consortium is something that is more.. Logical
 Marsman2020
10-09-2006, 3:11 PM
Well, at least they can't steal B-Wings!
 TheMonsterOfTheIsland
10-09-2006, 5:39 PM
Aren't Tie defenders better than B-Wings?

I mean, they're faster and they have an enormous payload.

B-wings just have an enormous payload.
 Valter
10-09-2006, 6:28 PM
Well, the consortium has to get it's technology from somewhere. It makes sense that the consortium would steal ships from the Rebel Alliance and Empire through piracy. I would imagine that Tyber, being a weapons dealer, would trade cash with Imperial and rebel personnel for their advanced starships. Why is it so unfathomable that Tyber would use his enemies' own technology against them?
 Rust_Lord
10-10-2006, 1:40 AM
Well, the consortium has to get it's technology from somewhere. It makes sense that the consortium would steal ships from the Rebel Alliance and Empire through piracy. I would imagine that Tyber, being an weapons dealer, would trade cash with Imperial and rebel personnel for their advanced starships. Why is it so unfathomable that Tyber would use his enemies' own technology against them?

Absolutely, and he would get access to some good stuff but I agree that ZC should not get access to some of the games (and empires) elite units. If the ZC cap ships can own the Empire/Rebs cap ships they need some balancing force, which I expected the TIE Defender/Bwing to play. I thought it was strange ZC didnt get bombers but now they can; the defenders. And what bombers they are! It smells. Ywings, fine, even make them cheaper for them since Tyber could probably get 'em at a discount. From the simulator game some pirates did manage to steal one or two of the handful of defenders made and were going to sell one to the rebels but you (as a player) participate in recapturing it and slaughtering not just the pirates but the rebels intent on purchasing it. Yes crime can pay but in our world you merely rot in prison. In the SW world, considering the Empire is as nasty as it is, for ripping off their most advanced equipment you would be getting executed...Jesus, in the RPG it was stated that illegal possession of a suit of stormtroopers armour was a very serious if not capital offence! Bad move PG.
 Darth Anarch
10-10-2006, 9:47 AM
The Consortium does have bombers; that's the Skipray Blastboats.
 Rust_Lord
10-11-2006, 2:58 AM
Thanks DA; this was also pointed out in another thread to me...I think they are cool the blastboats but expected them to be like corellian gunships...they were fighter size so it makes sense to use them as bombers...pretty quick bombers though! :) Look out!
 Darth Anarch
10-11-2006, 7:51 AM
Does anyone remember what the special ability of the Skiprays was? I know you could see it in the tooltips in the demo, but I don't feel like going through it all right now to get to the part where the Skiprays appear before the last mission.
 Artoo-Eetoo
10-11-2006, 10:58 AM
Something like stealth.. o sensor scrambler

TEXT_TOOLTIP_SENSOR_SCRAMBLER The scrambler interferes with enemy radar and sight ranges, and also jams missile guidance systems.
 Darth Anarch
10-11-2006, 3:04 PM
Aah, thanks. Sounds like having a screen of Skiprays in front of your capital ships might be a viable strategy, then.
Page: 1 of 1