Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Really a shame Sir Alec Guiness hated Star Wars

Page: 1 of 2
 ferris209
08-28-2006, 11:43 PM
Everything I read says that Sir Alec Guinness always talked real badly of his Star Wars appearance, I really hate that. His rendition of Obi Wan, and Darth Vader, are my favorite Star Wars characters, it just sometimes kind of takes away from my overall satisfaction of the original Star Wars knowing Sir Alec Guinness hated it so. Anyone else feel the same?
 TK-8252
08-29-2006, 12:31 AM
Not really. Pretty much everyone from day one thought that Star Wars was doomed to fail, and maybe if he had lived to see how much of a hit it would be he'd have thought differently.
 ferris209
08-29-2006, 12:36 AM
He did live to see the success, he died on 8-5-2000, well into the reemergence of Star Wars. But he still always made public statements that he hated working on it, even though he got 2% of all pofits, according to IMDB.com
 TK-8252
08-29-2006, 12:44 AM
Maybe he didn't like the Tatooine scenes. Too much sand?
 ferris209
08-29-2006, 12:50 AM
LOL, maybe so, everything I'm reading is citing his dislike of the script and IMDB has him quoted saying:
[Guinness discussing how much he disliked working on Star Wars (1977) and his attempts to encourage George Lucas to kill off Obi-Wan Kenobi] "And he agreed with me. What I didn't tell him was that I just couldn't go on speaking those bloody awful, banal lines. I'd had enough of the mumbo jumbo."

Apparently Guinness really hated to lines.
 Halo_92
08-29-2006, 1:20 AM
Well anyone who hates star wars can go to antartica
 Negative Sun
08-29-2006, 7:06 AM
Harrison Ford didn't like to speak that mumbo jumbo either though...but he took it more light-hearted
 Lantzen
08-29-2006, 8:30 AM
Had no idea that he hated star wars, but it was good story wise that he died so i guess it dosnt mather that he wanted to be killed of
 Pho3nix
08-29-2006, 8:38 AM
Yeah well i'm not surprised. He was a respected elder british actor after all, you can't expect everyone to like SCI-FI.
 Fealiks
08-29-2006, 10:12 AM
Yeah and they had him saying things you might hear a wise old man say, I guess maybe he resented that.
 Prime
08-29-2006, 2:23 PM
You would have thought he read the script before signing on...

Can't remember what got finished when though...
 ferris209
08-29-2006, 3:39 PM
Yeah well i'm not surprised. He was a respected elder british actor after all, you can't expect everyone to like SCI-FI.
Yeah I guess so, some may disagree with me, but the lines all throughout Star Wars sounded a little "Shakespearian" to me anyway. I.E. the scene where Anakin and Padme meet up in the beginning of Episode III and then when they meet up again toward to end on Mustafar (let's just run away!). It all sounds just like something you'd hear in high school english to me.
As far as reading the script, I'm sure he did, but I think Lucas gave him such a good deal, he figured it would be easy money and even more if the whole thing took off, which it did obviously since we're all here overanalyzing it 30 years later. According to IMDB he got $150,000 + 2% of all profits. So let’s assume that A New Hope garnered around 1 Billion by now, 2% of that is 20 million, that's a heck of a paycheck for an actor, especially one with so few lines and dies off half way through the film.
 PoiuyWired
08-30-2006, 5:31 PM
Well, at least he did not wh0r3 out his fame in star wars and eventually make a Rule #34 of it in its shadow( thats pr0nz if you don't get it) Hmmm... meatsabers.

Well, Harrison Ford is at least remembered also as some historian dude, most of the crew are remembered for star wars only by the general public.

Alec thinks he is defined by more than just a role like that, which is reasonable.
 Prime
08-30-2006, 10:13 PM
I've known Alec Guiness didn't really care for Star Wars that much for a long time. Though I think it's more that he didn't want to be remembered for just Star Wars since he's done so many other great works and he didn't really want it narrowed to one character in a couple of movies.That was my imrpession as well. IIRC on the OT DVDs Lucas mentions that it was in fact his idea to "write Kenobi out of the film" because there was really nothing left for the character to do. So who knows...
 The Source
09-01-2006, 11:01 PM
Everything I read says that Sir Alec Guinness always talked real badly of his Star Wars appearance, I really hate that. His rendition of Obi Wan, and Darth Vader, are my favorite Star Wars characters, it just sometimes kind of takes away from my overall satisfaction of the original Star Wars knowing Sir Alec Guinness hated it so. Anyone else feel the same?
Believe it or not, Lenord Nemoy hated to play Spock at one point. Eventually, he came around and loved the character. There are several science-fiction actors that have had problems being associated with a certain character. I don't believe they hated playing the character, but they hated to be know as the character.

I can guarantee you this: Not many people have seen (or could name) other Sir Alec Guiness movies, for they have allways associated him with Star Wars. I believe that was why he hated Star Wars. You cannot blame him for his cognitions.

I have watched conventions for non-sciencefiction related subjects, and almost everyone associated with Star Wars and Star Trek have been introduced as their character. "Ladies and gentlemen welcome Luke Skywalker". You scratch your head and say, "Hey, isn't this a fundraiser for cancer?"

I don't blame the actors for how they perceive their characters.

When I say, "I am a Harrison Ford fan", I am not saying, "I am a Han Solo fan". I can name a mess of movies & characters that I have enjoyed, which Harrison Ford has won my favor. I personally believe that Harrison Fords' best acting and character was not in Star Wars.
 ferris209
09-02-2006, 12:36 PM
I don't blame the actors for how they perceive their characters.

When I say, "I am a Harrison Ford fan", I am not saying, "I am a Han Solo fan". I can name a mess of movies & characters that I have enjoyed, which Harrison Ford has won my favor. I personally believe that Harrison Fords' best acting and character was not in Star Wars.

I agree, strange though that some can overcome their most famous roles, like Harrison Ford and William Shatner, but others can't. Like Sir Alec Guinness and Leonard Nimoy.
 Pho3nix
09-02-2006, 1:19 PM
Haha :D I don't think William Shatner has overcome Captain Kirk. Harrison Ford on the other hand was smart enough to keep making different movies, even though I do consider Star Wars to be his best acting job.
 Commander Obi-Wan
09-02-2006, 3:36 PM
I found Indiana Jones to be Harrison Ford's best works.

Hmm...yeah. Do be honest, a quite "famous" actor such as Alec Guiness, probably wouldn't want to be remembered as an old hermit. Though, me on the other hand.....
 Kurgan
09-02-2006, 6:25 PM
Honestly, it just goes to show that Sir Alec was devoted to his craft. He played the role well even though he disliked it. He did his job, and didn't let his personal feelings of the material get in the way of doing it right.

This compared to some of the other actors who were such fans they would do anything and not necessarily that well, just because they got the "privilege" to be in a Star Wars movie.

So no, it doesn't bother me that he didn't like Star Wars, I just have a different taste than the late veteran actor. I can respect his opinion while disagreeing with it. But only you know what you like!
 ferris209
09-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Haha :D I don't think William Shatner has overcome Captain Kirk.
Well, he is at least known for other projects too, T.J. Hooker, Boston Legal, and those Orbitz Commercials. Though we will all agree he's not a cream of the crop actor, I think he has actually has not totally overcame Kirk becuase he doesn't want to, he loves those Star Trek paychecks that roll in steadily. I.E. he just didKirk in a new upcoming Video game, he knows it's garaunteed money. But this is a Star Wars forum, so now back to our original programming.
 The Source
09-03-2006, 6:09 PM
I agree, strange though that some can overcome their most famous roles, like Harrison Ford and William Shatner, but others can't. Like Sir Alec Guinness and Leonard Nimoy.
William Shatner learned to use his Star Trek success, and turn it into an advertisement for future projects. Not many actors can do that. Harrison Ford used Star Wars in a similar manner, and landed even more better roles.

Some of Harrison's Better Characters:
Jack Ryan (Tom Clancey Movies)
President James Marshall (Airforce One)
Det. Capt. John Book (Witness)
Rick Deckard (Blade Runner)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000148/)

When I think Shatner, I see "The Big Giant Head". Lol...
 aner21
01-18-2007, 6:11 PM
I had no idea he felt that way about the SW movies. I've seen him in several other movies but Obi-Wan always won my heart. It's just weird to see him in some of the others with such unObi like characters. But regardless he did a great job and although Ewan did a great Obi-Wan it lacks something. I can't explain it's just a gut thing.
 Ctrl Alt Del
01-22-2007, 8:19 PM
Well, that shows that he's a real professional: Even disliking his role, he did a great job. I also remember GL talking that, Sir Alec Guiness, liked to study the script and his lines for many, many hours, to assure he would do a good and proper job.
 MatBraken
01-23-2007, 8:50 AM
Harrison Ford didn't like to speak that mumbo jumbo either though...but he took it more light-hearted

Yeah. I read that Lucas had to really encourage Harrison to come back to film ROTJ. He wanted to do some other stuff yet Lucas told him how important it was to have Han in the film.:sweat:

Shame Sir Alec didn't like it...:ben:
 Prime
01-23-2007, 12:18 PM
But by all account Guiness was always friendly and curteous with the cast and crew. Again, a true professional.
 Jan Gaarni
01-23-2007, 2:20 PM
I always considered Indiana Jones as Han Solo, only educated. :D
 PoiuyWired
01-23-2007, 5:57 PM
Well, the difference is the hat. That, and Indy got more chix0r.
 Diego Varen
01-24-2007, 5:20 PM
I found Indiana Jones to be Harrison Ford's best works.

Agreed. When put with Sean Connery, :lol:. Anyway, it was a shock for me when I read this Thread. Sir Alec didn't like Star Wars. He made me like Obi-Wan in the first place, despite the fact, he wasn't as agile as Ewan McGregor when he played Obi-Wan in the Prequel Trilogy.
 Bob Lion54
01-24-2007, 5:40 PM
But by all account Guiness was always friendly and curteous with the cast and crew. Again, a true professional.
Yea, I've heard a few different interviews where the actors said he was incredibly patient. He knew he was the only real veteran actor and he helped his younger costars.

Also by all accounts, no one on the set disliked him. Probably because they saw him as pre-SciFi generation actor. I doubt many actors his age at the time would have loved the role.
 JawaJoey
02-26-2007, 3:49 AM
Yea, I've heard a few different interviews where the actors said he was incredibly patient. He knew he was the only real veteran actor and he helped his younger costars.

Also by all accounts, no one on the set disliked him. Probably because they saw him as pre-SciFi generation actor. I doubt many actors his age at the time would have loved the role.

I remember hearing similar things, from somewhere. Most of the actors were pretty green in the business. Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamil, they weren't big actors and didn't have as much experience as Sir Alec. They were young and goofy, while Alec was this mature, seasoned, professional actor tolerating it all.

He did a great job he really made the character. I kind of want to see other things he's been in. All I've ever seen him in is the really old "Oliver" where he played Fagin.
 Fish.Stapler
02-26-2007, 8:03 PM
Wow, I never really knew that he disliked it this much. I always knew that he didn't feel he was suited to the role, but it does indeed take a true professional to be courteous and respectful even if he didn't like where he was. It speaks loudly for his character :). His real life one that is.
 Henz
02-27-2007, 7:05 PM
You can tell in the behind the scenes snippets on the DVD doc. tbh. It was a joke. I'd have hated it too lol.
 RC-1162
03-11-2007, 3:34 AM
Well, it doesn't really matter as he did such a great job. He's not the only one who hated his role in a particular movie. Sean Connery hated acting as James Bond, yet he's considered one of the best JB actors.
But yeah, this is about Sir Alec.

BTW, if he hated SW, how did GL manage to persuade him to return for ESB and RotJ?
 princessmelissa
04-03-2007, 1:18 AM
lol...because of the money
 PoiuyWired
04-03-2007, 6:11 AM
Well, that and as least he would have the decency to finish off the series with a small screen time. That, and at the time he might think that people would eventually overcome his role as an old dead jedi relative to his other roles.

Remember, he did have other movies, some of which are quite good actually. Then again, for mainish characters with a face in Star Wars OT, most actors do not have any other good movies//characters. Mark is basically whoring out the star wars sign, and haven't done much decent since... and lets not even get into Fisher...
 princessmelissa
04-03-2007, 4:16 PM
carrie fisher will always be the bomb..so what she only did "star wars"
shes still an actress........and shes a good writer.
 Gargoyle King
04-07-2007, 3:03 PM

I can see where your coming from. But as a fan i believe that other people's feelings on this matter are irrelevant. What matters most is your own personal opinion and how you enjoy your own expectations in films. The feelings of Sir Alex Guiness don't really matter as it doesn't make the original trilogy anything less than a masterpiece; besides wasn't George Lucas himself quite dissatisfied with the look and appearance of the original trilogy that lead to the 1997 digitally remastered versions of the films and of course the newer trilogy.

carrie fisher will always be the bomb..so what she only did "star wars"
shes still an actress........and shes a good writer.

Correction, my friend, she's known for other films aswell - an example out of the hat would be "The 'Burbs".
 swphreak
04-09-2007, 10:57 AM
Gargoyle_King, for future reference, you have an edit button.
 CLONECOMMANDER501
05-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Well, his death should of taught him a lesson ;) Mess with starwars and you will pay the price.
 BigMike322
09-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Plus, like it was posted earlier, most people thought Star Wars was going to suck @$$ from day one for a whole f***ing mess of reasons. He also probably didn't care much for sci-fi like Pho3nix said. My brother-in-law doesn't like sci-fi and has never seen Star Wars. Though he said he has watched a couple od Trek movies and enjoyed them yet he won't watch any Star Wars movies.[/QUOTE]

A lot of people may disagree with me, but I don't really consider Star Wars science fiction. I think of it as space-fantasy.
 TripHammer
10-10-2007, 6:25 PM
I didn't think Sir Alec Guiness hated the part.. my impression was that he felt it was a lousy representation of his acting ability so in interviews he kinda shyed away from getting to involved with the Star Wars Questions. It is a far step from "Bridge over the River Kwai" or theatrical acting. Kinda like Leonard Nimoy... I'll bet he was happy just to get a question about "In search of..." once in a while.
 PoiuyWired
10-10-2007, 7:24 PM
Unlike Leonard Nimoy though, he does not whore out for cash with his ObiWanisque persona.

Plus, there is no Sir Alec Guiness "Bilbo Baggins song"
 Prime
10-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Such a pity.
 Rev7
10-11-2007, 7:43 PM
Why would he play the part if he hated Star Wars? Everyone is intitled to their opinions though...
 Totenkopf
10-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Unlike Leonard Nimoy though, he does not whore out for cash with his ObiWanisque persona.

Plus, there is no Sir Alec Guiness "Bilbo Baggins song"

It is rather quite comical, in a cheesy sort of way.
 DarthSomething
10-26-2007, 9:39 AM
Why would he play the part if he hated Star Wars?

$$$

Apparently, Obi-Wan was originally written as a Toshiro Mifune style "drunken master".

Sir Alec refused to play such a charcater, and had it rewritten to the stately warrior we know today.
 Prime
10-26-2007, 12:36 PM
I've never heard that before...
 Jeff
10-26-2007, 4:05 PM
Hmm, neither have I...
 NL_Sudentor
02-25-2008, 2:49 PM
Plus, like it was posted earlier, most people thought Star Wars was going to suck @$$ from day one for a whole f***ing mess of reasons. He also probably didn't care much for sci-fi like Pho3nix said. My brother-in-law doesn't like sci-fi and has never seen Star Wars. Though he said he has watched a couple od Trek movies and enjoyed them yet he won't watch any Star Wars movies.

A lot of people may disagree with me, but I don't really consider Star Wars science fiction. I think of it as space-fantasy.[/QUOTE]

Why would Star Wars not be sci fi??
Give me real facts
 GwannaSauna
10-27-2008, 2:43 AM
Yeah, it is sad. Wonder if he regretted it when he was about to die... come to think of it, he may not of even remebered Star Wars when he died :(
Page: 1 of 2