Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Recruiting a Custom NPC

Page: 1 of 1
 SWFan1227
08-16-2006, 12:39 AM
Hi everyone. I've been reading the tutorial "How to make an NPC in less than 10 steps". I've got the basics and scripting down; but I'm having trouble adding dialogue. So I was wondering how do you add dialogue with DLG editor, because the author uses another program to create them.
 goldberry
08-16-2006, 4:23 AM
If this is for KOTOR, you can use KOTOR Tool's internal dialog editor.
If it is for TSL, you can still use said editor, but there's something with it that doesn't work... I think it's editing old dialogs (you know, the inbuild ones [atton.dlg] and stuff like that).
 Darkkender
08-16-2006, 4:31 PM
TSL added alot of new features directly to the dialog files. If you open dialogs from the game in KT and then save them it will foul things up. In the tutorial the editing of the dialog file was not covered.

(out of scope of this tutorial) Make your custom dialogue: use Kotor tool's integrated dialogue editor or tk102's very practical and flexible DLGeditor.

So my recomondation would be to download and use Dlgeditor for many reasons but primary of which is that it handles both K1 & K2 dialogs and once your used to using it you won't have to worry about fouling up dialogs that you might be merging from one of the games because they are both supported. Also TK has made some recent changes to his editor that are much more expansive than Kt's dlgeditor and TK's changes cover both K1 & K2.
 SWFan1227
08-16-2006, 6:14 PM
Thank you for the replies, I already downloaded DLG editor and it does look more easier to use.
Page: 1 of 1