Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Damn Orphans...

Page: 1 of 1
 Master Kavar
08-10-2006, 12:57 AM
I'll admit I've asked this question before, but now I actually know a little more about what I'm talking about so I figure it warrants a new thread. My question is about editing dialogue files.

I wanted to play around a bit and edit some existing conversations, so I extracted it with the KOTOR Tool and made my changes, only to find that they no longer worked correctly. I tried this a couple of times with different files, but always the same result.

Then I tried loading the files into dlgeditor_227 and discovered that all the problems were being caused by "orphans", breaks in the conversation that didn't show in the KOTOR Tool editor. Now even though I can see them now, it is a lot of work to fix them, especially with an NPC like Bastila.

Now am I doing something incorrectly that is causing all these orphans to appear? Is there a better way to do this?
 SithRevan
08-10-2006, 1:05 AM
Your deleting a node in the dialog file thats causing them to basically stray from the parent node, hope that helps!:D
 Master Kavar
08-10-2006, 1:08 AM
But how am I doing that? Things are messed up even in nodes that I haven't even touched. Does this just normally happen during extraction, or am I extracting it wrong?
 SithRevan
08-10-2006, 1:14 AM
Well here's an example:
Parent node
-sub node<--let's say you delete this!
--sub sub node<-this one
--sub sub node<-this one
--sub sub node<-and this one will be orphaned because you just took it's parent away from it, so it's like a child when you take it's parent away from it I doesn't know where to go so it gets orphaned!:D
 deathdisco
08-10-2006, 2:15 AM
Try extracting them first then opening them outside of KT. Select the the dialog then use the "Extract File" button. Then open the file with TK's dlgeditor. Dlgeditor shows all the links in the dialog.
 Jackel
08-10-2006, 2:49 AM
Now am I doing something incorrectly that is causing all these orphans to appear? Is there a better way to do this?
If you are using KOTOR Tool to play around with TSL dialogues then thats your problem right there. Fred's tool doesn't like working with TSL dialogues and Fred has already said he wont be fixing it to work with them.

Extract them with KOTOR Tool then use TK's dialogue tool to do your work on them. That should fix the pronlem.
 oldflash
08-10-2006, 3:14 AM
dlgeditor_229 (http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php) doesn't make orphans when you delete nodes. I get wrong all matter. Sorry
 SithRevan
08-10-2006, 3:18 AM
I beg to differ I was just using it today and it made some orphans that I had to undo, but it doesn't automatically make them which kinda sounds like what you are talking about.:D

P.S.: Sorry oldflash I wasn't trying to bash you.:D
Page: 1 of 1