Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Floating Ligthsabers v.2.0 -Major Overhaul-

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth333
07-29-2006, 10:54 PM
==============================================
:saberr: FORCE POWER FLOATING LIGHTSABERS v.2.0 (07-29-2006) :saberb:

Screenies:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Darth333/7a39f792.jpg) (you may have seen this screenie in my "learning the ways of the force" mod wip thread. Well no, this isn't the whole mod. It is a very very small excerpt from the mod).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/D333/K2_00000.jpg)

Feedback on this new version and more particularly on the level up rate would really be appreciated.

This mod adds a new force power that allows the player to spawn lightsabers that will attack the ennemy.

There are 3 levels:
lvl 1: spawns 1 lightsaber
lvl 2: spawns 2 lightsabers
lvl 3: spawns 3 lightsabers

As in the previous versions, the color of the lightsabers you spawn depend on your alignment: if LS or neutral, you'll spawn blue sabers and if DS, the sabers will be Red.

Update:
v.2.0 (07-29-2006)
new in this version:

- use of stoffe's tsl patcher to ensure compatibility with other mods (note I use the hacklist to edit the .ncs files instead of recompiling the scripts. Stoffe has since then released a much more user friendly way to do this for modders but it was already done when she released it. I'm too lazy to redo it but it doesn't change anything for the end user. )

- new cutscene with music where the pc automatically acquires the first level of the force power on Korriban. The pc need to be at least lvl 12. (if you want to know exactly where, read the spoiler section below)

- the possibility to spawn infinite sabers has been removed: the player won't be able to successfully respawn a lightsaber until the previous sabers have"died" or disappeared. No more lightsaber armies!

- leveling up of the force power will automatically happen as the player "practices" the force power. If the player uses the first lvl of the force power 20 times, he will gain level two.

Once he has gained the 2nd level, the 3rd level can be gained after using the 2nd level another 20 times. There is no PC level requirement for lvls 2 and 3. In other words: if you use the floating lightsaber force power, you will eventually level up. If you don't use it, you won't gain the next level. (You may think that I must have played too much Oblivion...but in fact it's an easy method to script the 2nd and 3rd lvls into the game. I haven't found a way to make them appear in the level up screen if the first level has been granted with a script).

Note that the number of times you have to use the force power before leveling up is a bit arbitrary at this point. I considered that there are not tons of battles in KotOR, that there are other powers (duh!) and that I removed the possiblity to cast the power multiple times. I am not too sure whether the level up will occur too quickly or to slowly for general use. If I'm lucky it will be fine but I'm never lucky with those things :(

Feedback on this feature is more than welcomed.

- range of force power augmented to medium (no need to be as close to an ennemy as before )

- the power is now PC only

- The cost of the force power has been increased:

Cost: 40 FP at lvl 1
60 FP at lvl 2
80 FP at lvl 3.

================================================== =
INSTALLATION:
If you have a previous version of this mod installed, just install this mod on top of it. The mod should update automatically.

You can also instal the mod on top of other mods that use the spells.2da file.

1. Create a new folder called Override in your C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2 directory.

2. Double click on Floating_lightsaber.exe and follow the instructions. The install directory has to be C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2 and not the override directory. The source code (.nss) files has been included. *.nss files have no effect whatsoever on the game. If you are not a modder or a nerd, you don't need them.

Edit: Do not manually transfer the files from the tslpatchdata folder to your game directory or the mod won't work as the installer modifies some of the files contained in the TSLpatchdata folder during the process to ensure the compatibility with your other mods. Even if you don't have any other mods, you have to use the installer.

The files contained in the folder d3_sber_source are the source code and it is for reference purpose only.

Uninstall:
Delete the files from your overide directory

================================================
SPOILER - acquiring the 1st lvl of the force power

The player can only acquire the force power on Korriban, after defeating Kreia in the secret tomb. Once you defeat Kreia, a Holocron appears and from there, you can chose whether or not you want the force power. Note that if you refuse the force power, you won't get any other chance to get it during the game. This is your only chance...apart KSE (see below).

Although the tomb only requires the pc to be at level 9 to enter, you will need at least level 12 to gain the force power.

You can always use KSE (http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php) if you want to cheat and get the force power at another moment. If you cheat, the leveling up after 20 uses of the force power will happen anyways.

...and before I forget, the most important is that you can get the mod here: http://xfer.lfnetwork.com/starwarsknights.com/LF/d3_saber2.rar)
 Emperor Devon
07-29-2006, 11:20 PM
I just tried the mod out. Great job on it! It was very fitting how you used that cut piece of music. :)

Is this the learning the ways of the Force mod you anounced a while ago?
 Darth333
07-29-2006, 11:21 PM
Is this the learning the ways of the Force mod you anounced a while ago?
I just edited my post above. It's just a very small piece of the mod. The new areas aren't in there, nor the other force powers.
 Princess Artemis
07-29-2006, 11:51 PM
I'd love to try it, since I had half of the original anyway from one of RedHawke's mods (I think it was one of his--in any event, I got the original so I didn't have blank FP boxes...thought it was pretty cool), but I don't know how to delete lines from a .2da. (And that is something I'd dearly love to know how to do!)
 Emperor Devon
07-29-2006, 11:54 PM
(And that is something I'd dearly love to know how to do!)

Select the line you want to delete and hit the delete key. :)
 Princess Artemis
07-30-2006, 1:34 AM

THAT'S IT?! Agggh... Such simple things and I totally miss them. Thanks for the tip, and Darth333, I'll try out your new floating 'sabers soonly :)
 Lit Ridl
07-30-2006, 2:52 AM
Nothing to say. Absolutly exa-perfect mod!!!
You rulez!!!
Even new sounds, yeah, cooly!!!
Wonder if Stoffe will make chnges to his mod like in yours, to make it perfect mod too.
 Pavlos
07-30-2006, 6:27 AM
Nice updates, Darth333 :). I admit, I wasn't too keen on the Oblivion styled level-up for the power, but it seems to work quite nicely.
 stoffe
07-30-2006, 6:47 AM
Feedback on this new version and more particularly on the level up rate would really be appreciated.
(...snip...)
You can always use KSE (http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php) if you want to cheat and get the force power at another moment. If you cheat, the leveling up after 20 uses of the force power will happen anyways.

Have done it the KSE way so far since I didn't have a save near the Korriban Tomb currently to test it with. Seems to work so far in a series of pit fights. 20 Uses seem fairly OK for "upgrading" on my part since I usually don't tend to spam summoning spells/powers but reserve them for tougher fights, and you can only get the power to begin with in a special place in the game.

- use of stoffe's tsl patcher to ensure compatibility with other mods (note I use the hacklist to edit the .ncs files instead of recompiling the scripts.

I think you've forgotten to update the info.rtf readme, the title is currently "Tach Morphing FP for Kotor 2: TSL", and the text seems to be about that mod too. :)

The HackList should work just as well for this if you've already set things up properly (and you'll save some download size by not having to include the script compiler), it's just (IMHO) more grunt work required if scripts need to be modified afterwards if doing it this way, since you'll need to confirm that all the offsets are still valid.

(...snip...)
If you have a previous version of this mod installed, please uninstall it before updating (or simply delete the three lines for this force power from your spells.2da file: FORCE_POWER_D3_SABER_1, FORCE_POWER_D3_SABER_2 and FORCE_POWER_D3_SABER_3. If this is the only mod that uses spells,2da that you have in your override folder, then just delete spells.2da.)

This shouldn't be necessary if you use the "ExclusiveColumn" function for 2DA files, and set any non-standard game files to be replaced when installed. If you use the "ExclusiveColumn" key and keep the value in the exclusive column (usually the label column) the same as in previous versions the patcher would modify the existing lines with any changes rather than add duplicates if a matching line already exists.

1. Create a new folder called Override in your C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2 directory.
2. Extract the files to your override folder. Note that this mod will be incompatible with any other mod using thge spells.2da file.

I assume that (2) quoted above is a copy&paste error? ;) If you extract the TSLPatcher data files to override Bad Things(tm) may happen since you might potentially overwrite any existing files, and the patcher would attempt to append to its own blueprint files.

As for (1), the tslpatcher should create the override folder automatically if it does not already exist.

Be very careful about the circumstances you do this in. If there are any other lines below the one you delete you will mess up any references to those lines in line number indexed files (appearance.2da, spells.2da, feat.2da, placeables.2da, heads.2da, portraits.2da, classes.2da, skills.2da etc), since the index to any following lines would be changed if one line suddenly disappears. This is the reason you'll see a fair deal of unused junk lines in those files, Bioware/Obsidian couldn't delete them outright without reindexing all the following lines, which would break any references to those lines elsewhere in the game (and in existing savegames).

If it's the last row in the file you need to delete it should be safe though, provided you get rid of any references to that line in other files (and savegames), since the game has a nasty tendency to crash if it attempts to look up a 2da line that does not exist.

Wonder if Stoffe will make chnges to his mod like in yours, to make it perfect mod too.

Not likely, if I update my force power mod it'll probably remain in its currently flawed state where you can pick powers at levelup, and only add new powers to it. :)
 ChAiNz.2da
07-30-2006, 7:36 AM
Always making new reasons to make me re-install TSL huh gal? ;)

This looks fantastic (as always) and as soon as my KotOR playthrough is done, I guess I know which game I'm loading up next!... hehehe

Seriously, this is a great looking mod and I know all the work you've put into it (at least getting to test part of it in the early days :D )... definitely a mod that will live in my override!

*- I've updated the SWK Mod Report to showcase your new addition ;)
 Darth333
07-30-2006, 8:12 AM
I think you've forgotten to update the info.rtf readme, the title is currently "Tach Morphing FP for Kotor 2: TSL", and the text seems to be about that mod too. :)
Ooops! How did that got there? Fixed!

This shouldn't be necessary if you use the "ExclusiveColumn" function for 2DA files, and set any non-standard game files to be replaced when installed. If you use the "ExclusiveColumn" key and keep the value in the exclusive column (usually the label column) the same as in previous versions the patcher would modify the existing lines with any changes rather than add duplicates if a matching line already exists.
You know the worst part in this? I was already using the exclusivecolumn function so there is no problem in installing the mod on top of the previous version. I did this part months ago and didn't remember about it. I should definitely be more careful. Sorry for all the confusion I may have created Don't think I do this to scare people (d3 goes hiding under the nearest rock).

I'm glad the level up system seems to work fine for those who have tried the mod. (woot! I got lucky! :D)

and thanks for the update ChAiNz :)
 Skywalker3248
07-30-2006, 8:54 AM
Is this mod compatible with the High Force Powers mod? The first one I tried didn't seem to be.
 Darth333
07-30-2006, 8:57 AM
yes, it is. The first version wasn't compatible because the TSL patcher didn't exist when I made the mod. Now that we have the tools, there's no excuse not to use them :)
 Skywalker3248
07-30-2006, 9:51 AM
Thanks, that's good to know. I've just run the installer, and I think it's put all the files in my tslpatchdata file, will the mod work with the files sitting there? (sorry if my question sounds a bit obvious to some, but I'm quite to new to installing mods so I hope you can bear with me :D)
 Darth333
07-30-2006, 10:03 AM
The files were already in the tslpatchdata file. I placed them there ;) When you run the installer, they will be modified as needed and copied to your swkotor2 folder as follows:

Once installed,check if the following files are located in your Override folder and not inside a subfolder:
ambientmusic.2da
d3_cut.ncs
d3_giveforce.ncs
d3_holo.ncs
d3_holocr.utp
d3_holocron.dlg
d3_holodone.ncs
d3_movepc.ncs
d3_saber.utc
d3_saber1.tga
d3_saber1.utc
d3_saber2.tga
d3_saber3.tga
d3_saberx.utc
d3_sabery.utc
d3_saber_force.ncs
d3_s_death.ncs
d3_s_heart.ncs
d3_s_spawn.ncs
d3_s_spawnc.ncs
d3_s_ud.ncs
globalcat.2da
k_hb_check_mines.ncs
spells.2da

The following file should be in the stream music folder:
d3_sabersd.mp3

The following file should be in the streamvoice folder:
d3_holo.mp3

Do not manually transfer the files from the Tslpatchdata folder to the above folders or the mod won't work as the installer modifies some of the files contained in the TSLpatchdata folder during the process to ensure the compatibility with your other mods. Even if you don't have any other mods, you have to use the installer.

Edit: I just noticed that you're all new to the forums! Welcome to LF :D
 oldflash
07-31-2006, 9:13 AM
Just perfect. :)
 Skywalker3248
07-31-2006, 10:33 AM
Ah, I see. Everything now seems to be where it's supposed to be, so I look forward to seeing this mod in action :D. Oh, and thanks for the welcome, cheers.
 Jackel
07-31-2006, 4:33 PM
Nice work D3. Its always nice to see your mods here :)

*downloads*
 one_must_fall
08-04-2006, 4:40 AM
now all these mods were the reason i subscribed to these forums. and to submit one. anyway, great work darth! *downloads*
 Arбtoeldar
08-04-2006, 11:45 PM
I just gave this mod a spin. Great job Darth333. :cool::)
 tenou123
08-05-2006, 10:18 AM
im registering repeated corrupt download of the exe file, what do i do? T_T it looks really good
 Arбtoeldar
08-06-2006, 11:53 PM
I am not sure if this is a bug or not. I used the KSE to give me the first level of this power when I got my prestige class. I did this becuase I want to further test the mod but I always do Korriban last. I got the second level of the force power but only 1 lightsaber shows up when I use it.
 Darth333
08-07-2006, 8:25 PM
Yes it's a bug. A stupid last minute addition by me. I'll fix that tomorrow. Should work fine if you are DS though :p Thanks for reporting this.

Edit: oops it looks like I even uploaded the script to test the "force fizzle" vfx.
 Arбtoeldar
08-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Yes it's a bug. A stupid last minute addition by me. I'll fix that tomorrow. Should work fine if you are DS though :p Thanks for reporting this.I am playing a dark jedi.
 goldberry
08-08-2006, 2:34 PM
It seems to work ok if you access it in the way it was intended.
In all honesty i find the way the level up has been set up fine, i only wish we could manage to get all of the force powers to work like that.
 ScottMana
08-27-2006, 2:33 AM
I tried your d3 sabers mod... very cool!

KotOR has a great story but I find that I play KotOR II more often as I feel SO LIMITED in powers and skillz in the first game.

Force powers like the one you have here add to KotOR II and made it a new and cooler expirence.

I will be watching for any more you do. Keep up the good work! :king1:
 87up
12-21-2006, 2:58 PM
Is it possible that you could upload this mod again... the download link on the first post is dead...

Thank you... :)
 Arбtoeldar
12-21-2006, 3:10 PM
Is it possible that you could upload this mod again... the download link on the first post is dead...

Thank you... :)

You can download it from her site

http://www.geocities.com/d333mods/)
 87up
12-21-2006, 3:16 PM
Thank you so much Arбtoeldar... :D
 Arбtoeldar
12-21-2006, 3:25 PM
Thank you so much Arбtoeldar... :D

Unfortunately it is the first version.

When I try to download the mod from LucasFiles. I get a an empty rar file. :eek::wtf:
 Darth333
12-22-2006, 8:53 AM
I contacted the people in charge of lucasfiles to get this fixed...the above download link and the Lucasfiles download lead to the same server.
 Lordxy
06-20-2009, 10:08 AM
[QUOTE=Darth333;2145835]Yes it's a bug. A stupid last minute addition by me. I'll fix that tomorrow. Should work fine if you are DS though :p Thanks for reporting this.

Sorry if this sounds foolish, but i have the same problem (1 saber at lvl 2 and 3) and i just cannot fix it!:¬: Can you help me a bit? (I'm heavily DS:))
 Fantles
02-04-2014, 8:22 PM
'eyo, sorry for the necro. This thread is pretty darn old. o.O

Was a patch ever released for this mod to fix the number of sabers spawning glitch? I too have only one saber appear regardless of level. It doesn't work as a lightsider nor as a darksider. :<
 SOHL
07-19-2014, 2:58 PM
So this is a pretty old post but I am having trouble with this mod as well, same as Lordxy
I've messed around with scripting to see if I could fix it... nothing, Ive thought about making 3 separate blue lightsaber creatures and 3 separate red lightsaber creatures so they can be spawned it separately though i dont know which of the files are the creature files...
 Urias Fenris
01-19-2015, 1:07 PM
:saberr: FORCE POWER FLOATING LIGHTSABERS v.2.0 (07-29-2006) :saberb:

Screenies:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Darth333/7a39f792.jpg) (you may have seen this screenie in my "learning the ways of the force" mod wip thread. Well no, this isn't the whole mod. It is a very very small excerpt from the mod).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/D333/K2_00000.jpg)

This mod adds a new force power that allows the player to spawn lightsabers that will attack the ennemy.

There are 3 levels:
lvl 1: spawns 1 lightsaber
lvl 2: spawns 2 lightsabers
lvl 3: spawns 3 lightsabers

As in the previous versions, the color of the lightsabers you spawn depend on your alignment: if LS or neutral, you'll spawn blue sabers and if DS, the sabers will be Red.

Update:
v.2.0 (07-29-2006)
new in this version:

- use of stoffe's tsl patcher to ensure compatibility with other mods (note I use the hacklist to edit the .ncs files instead of recompiling the scripts. Stoffe has since then released a much more user friendly way to do this for modders but it was already done when she released it. I'm too lazy to redo it but it doesn't change anything for the end user. )

- new cutscene with music where the pc automatically acquires the first level of the force power on Korriban. The pc need to be at least lvl 12. (if you want to know exactly where, read the spoiler section below)

- the possibility to spawn infinite sabers has been removed: the player won't be able to successfully respawn a lightsaber until the previous sabers have"died" or disappeared. No more lightsaber armies!

- leveling up of the force power will automatically happen as the player "practices" the force power. If the player uses the first lvl of the force power 20 times, he will gain level two.

Once he has gained the 2nd level, the 3rd level can be gained after using the 2nd level another 20 times. There is no PC level requirement for lvls 2 and 3. In other words: if you use the floating lightsaber force power, you will eventually level up. If you don't use it, you won't gain the next level. (You may think that I must have played too much Oblivion...but in fact it's an easy method to script the 2nd and 3rd lvls into the game. I haven't found a way to make them appear in the level up screen if the first level has been granted with a script).

Note that the number of times you have to use the force power before leveling up is a bit arbitrary at this point. I considered that there are not tons of battles in KotOR, that there are other powers (duh!) and that I removed the possiblity to cast the power multiple times. I am not too sure whether the level up will occur too quickly or to slowly for general use. If I'm lucky it will be fine but I'm never lucky with those things :(

Feedback on this feature is more than welcomed.

- range of force power augmented to medium (no need to be as close to an ennemy as before )

- the power is now PC only

- The cost of the force power has been increased:

Cost: 40 FP at lvl 1
60 FP at lvl 2
80 FP at lvl 3.

INSTALLATION:
If you have a previous version of this mod installed, just install this mod on top of it. The mod should update automatically.

You can also instal the mod on top of other mods that use the spells.2da file.

2. Double click on Floating_lightsaber.exe and follow the instructions. The install directory has to be C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2 and not the override directory. The source code (.nss) files has been included. *.nss files have no effect whatsoever on the game. If you are not a modder or a nerd, you don't need them.

Edit: Do not manually transfer the files from the tslpatchdata folder to your game directory or the mod won't work as the installer modifies some of the files contained in the TSLpatchdata folder during the process to ensure the compatibility with your other mods. Even if you don't have any other mods, you have to use the installer.

The files contained in the folder d3_sber_source are the source code and it is for reference purpose only.

Uninstall:
Delete the files from your overide directory

SPOILER - acquiring the 1st lvl of the force power

The player can only acquire the force power on Korriban, after defeating Kreia in the secret tomb. Once you defeat Kreia, a Holocron appears and from there, you can chose whether or not you want the force power. Note that if you refuse the force power, you won't get any other chance to get it during the game. This is your only chance...apart KSE (see below).

Although the tomb only requires the pc to be at level 9 to enter, you will need at least level 12 to gain the force power.

...and before I forget, the most important is that you can get the mod here: http://xfer.lfnetwork.com/starwarsknights.com/LF/d3_saber2.rar)

I do not know if there is a problem with the mod or not, but it works great. However, at levels 2 and 3 you're supposed to get the equivalent lightsabers to spawn. This does not happen. I only get one that spawns at lvls 2 and 3.
Page: 1 of 1