Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Reducing the size of a .UTI file?

Page: 1 of 1
 AlBundy
07-24-2006, 7:28 AM
I was recently using KT to modify a weapon to be fully upgradeable, and after veiwing the GFF file I did the following:

Label: UpgradeLevel Field - Type: byte Value: 0

I switched the value to 3 so the weapon had 3 open Ports. It worked on my Blaster Rifle so I decided to change one of my Blaster Pistols to 3 also.
But the .UTI file of the Blaster pistol INCREASED size from 4 KB, to 13 KB, I have no idea how it did that since the only thing I tweaked was the upgrade level.

Now the mod doesn't even work in game and I get errors when I try to load the file in the GFF editor all I get is,

Exception of type System.OutOfMemoryException was thrown.

I have no idea what to do! I really need to fix this!
 stoffe
07-24-2006, 3:05 PM
But the .UTI file of the Blaster pistol INCREASED size from 4 KB, to 13 KB, I have no idea how it did that since the only thing I tweaked was the upgrade level.
(snip)
Now the mod doesn't even work in game and I get errors when I try to load the file in the GFF editor all I get is (memory error snipped)

Sounds to me like your UTI file has been corrupted. (Tech-babble: A loop in the GFF tree could cause those load errors). I doubt there is anything you can do to repair the file, you'll likely have to start over with a new copy, unfortunately.

Which GFF Editor are you using?

(The Upgrade field in KotorTool's item template editor isn't working, at least it wasn't last time I checked.)
 AlBundy
07-24-2006, 9:21 PM
I was using the GFF editor in the KT, is there another program I can use that wont corrupt the files then?
 Mav
07-24-2006, 9:35 PM
you could try the Robius GFF editor or the NWN GFF editor, I think there are links in one of the sticky's about mod tools
 Darkkender
07-25-2006, 1:36 AM
you could try the Robius GFF editor or the NWN GFF editor, I think there are links in one of the sticky's about mod tools

Or there is tk102's K-GFF program that was designed with the Kotor games in mind as it handles the camera angles field and a few other glitches because of the differences between NWN and Kotor. Tk's utilities can be found at http://www.starwarsknights.com)
 AlBundy
07-25-2006, 2:01 AM
I downloaded tk102's version, thanks for the help!
 Pavlos
07-25-2006, 6:15 AM
While we have come to the conclusion that your file is corrupted, I thought I should inform you of something else: Do not worry if editing your files in KotOR Tool increases their size. KT includes a number of new fields in your GFF format file to tell the Tool how to operate. These fields are:

Label: KTInfoVersion Field - Type: CExoString Value: 1.0.2210.16738
Label: KTInfoDate Field - Type: CExoString Value: 25 July 2006 11:12:47
Label: KTGameVerIndex Field - Type: int Value: 1

Fred has also been known to add handy tutorials for beginners in the "Comments" field, I believe an example is the waypoint file. This can increase file size quite visibly.
Page: 1 of 1