Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The invincible fort

Page: 1 of 1
 PsYch0_P!mP
10-07-2001, 11:03 AM
I got a mega cool invincible tactic!!!
-a (walled) power core (to power the shield generator
-a (walled) shield generator
-2-4 AA turrets
-2 turrets
-a fort
-guardians(troops, mechs, planes whatever)

This tactic is invincible in the demo. In the full game you will be able to destroy this fort with the special cannons made in the fort in tech level 4.

:mob:
 Necro
10-07-2001, 8:47 PM
i beat i could break thru, mainly because building that on EVERY side of ur base would be VERY costly
 xwing guy
10-07-2001, 8:58 PM
I could break through that in the demo. Use artillery to destroy the power core out of range of the turrets while your units defend the artillery.
 DarkTrooper
10-07-2001, 9:45 PM
that isnt a very good stratagy. I actually faced someone who did that and i wiped out the walls in like 2 mnutes with about 10 artillary
 SirBlack
10-07-2001, 11:01 PM
Ok... For a start the AA Turrets are almost certainly a waste of money, unless you're expecting someone to attack with a huge force of bombers all at once. The Fortress should be able to take care of most air attacks quick enough by itself.

To attack the proposed setup, I would come around from the direction of the Shield Generator and Power Core so that the Fortress would be farthest away from my forces. If the Turrets were guarding that side I would attack them first, otherwise I'd go straight for the Power Core. And if there were duplicate Power Cores then I might just go for the Shield Generator itself right away. I'd attack with Artillery from a distance and send Pummels in to burn through the buildings. Depending on the mix of troops guarding, I would send in Jedi, Bounty Hunters, AA Troopers and/or Mech Destroyers to clear them out. Once the Shield Generator is disabled or destroyed, I would take out any remaining Turrets and then the Fortress.

Now, if you really wanted a hideously tough defense.... here's what I'm thinking of: Take the Shield Generator (or maybe two) and put them in the middle. Then, put 4 or more Power Cores between and/or around the Shield Generators. Right beyond that, make two Fortresses, one on each end. Next, of course, line the exposed sides of the Shield Generators and Power Cores with Heavy Walls. Also, garrision as many troops as possible inside the Fortresses, this will definately make them more deadly. And finally, keep a large force of Mech Destoryers and maybe Jedi around to take out any Artillery or Pummels.

But of course, even if that did make an invincible defense (though I'm not claiming that it is), you still cannot defend your entire base that way. Your enemies could take out every bit of your base that's outside the range of the Fortresses and then just leave you to sit there and rot. In the end, a huge defense won't win a game (well, unless you're playing to hold that stupid damned Monument) But as the old saying goes: the best defense is a good offense. You're much better off finding way to hit your opponents hard enough that you'll never need a tactic like this.
 WC_heavyarms
10-17-2001, 11:46 AM
Pummel it. Make about 15 pummels, about 5 jedi, and 3 medics. Can you say DEAD?
 Maul403
10-28-2001, 5:51 PM
AA turretts are not a waste of money, they are 10x more effective than troopers, and the planes may be out of range of the fort
 idiot00001
10-28-2001, 6:43 PM
Just send in several transports full of pummels & mechs or jedi.
 Admiral Ghent
10-29-2001, 11:06 AM
Why kill it?

Id land my entire force by transport behind it in the middle of his base, command center, prefab shelters and kill his droids, production and support buildings. That fort wont do any good. It cant move to defend the rest of its base.
 Kudar
11-14-2001, 4:20 AM
Id land my entire force by transport behind it in the middle of his base, command center, prefab shelters and kill his droids, production and support buildings. That fort wont do any good. It cant move to defend the rest of its base.

I take it that the fortress can't attack the ground then? I can't say I have noticed, is this correct?
 Silenthunter
11-14-2001, 12:04 PM
AA turretts are not a waste of money, they are 10x more effective than troopers, and the planes may be out of range of the fort

Actually, mobile anti-air actually do more damage than AA turrets
 Paragon_Leon
11-14-2001, 12:44 PM
It's a tricky balance no matter how you look at it. It takes an anti-air unit / tower only two shots at most to destroy a fighter. I thought that was a bit too easy...

Are there more fighter-upgrades that prevent this kind of onslaught ?
 dlayers
11-14-2001, 2:46 PM
In the full version, air is MUCH improved against AA.

I had an air squadron (nothing else but xwings, ywings, and airspeeders) take out an advanced AA tower, fortress, power coil and shields.

I thought the tower and fortress would take the air force.

I was wrong :)

Seems like AA is not as effective in the full version, or the tech 4 air is much, much better at attack/defense.
 TarlSS
11-14-2001, 4:46 PM
It's dumb. You forgot to provide a way for you to WIN the game? Which sitting in your tiny little fort just won't do.
 DarkTemplar
11-15-2001, 9:26 AM
I could take out that base with 10 pummels, 15 sith knights, 10 dark troopers, 5 artillery, 12 grenaders, 10 AA stormtroopers, and 10 AA mobile tanks.
 Grand Admiral
11-26-2001, 10:51 AM
DARKTEMPLAR can you say O V E R K I L L ? lol that is too much for that fort it can take less like maybe only 5 plummels and 5 destryoer droids and 5 bounty hunter. that is all you need. lol
 At-At
11-26-2001, 8:18 PM
Too costly and useless. *starts imitating Village People* P-U-M-M-E-L!!!!
 WC_heavyarms
11-26-2001, 8:58 PM
Here's another tactic: CANNON IT! The cannons I find are very hard to beat for two reasons:

1. Long range
2. Easily defended.

They can hit from out of the screen to a target, and They can crush a assault mech if they hit it (not too hard!) They can turn the tides, I have used them on people, and they WORK!
Page: 1 of 1