Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Star Wars: The Prodigal Knight

Page: 1 of 1
 lightexile
07-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Hello everyone. Been a while, but I've returned to one of my favorite communities looking for inspiration and advice.

I suppose I'll start by telling you what I'm setting out to do:

My plan is to make a comic viewable on the computer chronicalling Revan during the events of Knights of the Old Republic.

I plan to do this not with hand drawings but with actual footage from within the game itself. I'll be using both Photoshop CS 8.0 and Comic Book Creator to assist in the creation of this comic.

Now...

Most of you are most likely asking why I haven't posted this in the Coruscant Entertainment Centre. Well:

Since the sources of this comic are comming from within game, I figured I would come to the best of the best: The Modders of the Holowon Laboratories. I'm sure from time to time I'll be swinging by to ask questions and assistance from some of you modders whenever you feel you can give it.

You may be asking what kind of assistance a Comic Book writer could want from modders. I'll give a scenario.

As most of you know, shortly before the destruction of the Endar Spire, Carth Onasi and Revan boarded an escape craft headed for Taris. We see the boarding of this craft and the crash landing of it on Taris. What we don't see is the interactions within the craft. So, I suppose the best people to ask about a good modual (level) would be you guys, who are quite experienced with technical aspects of the game. Hell, who knows, maybe one of you could even whip up a very small little map that looks like the interior of an escape craft.

I'd aslo want to be able to remove a lot of the HUD in KOTOR such as number appearing from damage and things of that sort. I figure maybe there is a way to do this that some modders could help me with.

I'm sure I'm ramblin now and I apologize. I've just come to a great community and figured there maybe some here who are interested in this project or would like to help in my endevours.

I can be e-mailed at: ~snip~
AIM: DoubleDownSpade
or on the boards!

I hope to see some interest in my project and maybe even some assistance!

Cheers!

Please don't post your email per Forum Rules (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=127725). ~ ChAiNz.2da
 The Doctor
07-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Well, you can get rid of the floating numbers in the Options menu in the game itself. But modders can't create moduals yet, as far as I know - they'd have to use pre-existing ones, possibly reskinned.

Oh, and we're not supposed to post our emails or IM addresses on the boards. We're supposed to give that stuff out through PM - for privacy reasons, I believe.
 Fiestainabox
07-13-2006, 12:53 PM
An escaspe pod would definatly be hard to do, since we can't create our own modules, we'd have to recycle our own. I would try stuffing a bunch of placeables in a small area to give ite that caustrafobic feel.

Also, I assume your using Kotor 1 for this?
 lightexile
07-13-2006, 1:27 PM
Yes Kotor 1 will be used for this comic in particular.

So escape pod would be hard... You think stuffing a bunch of placeables could work?

I suppose some cramped seats and computer panel could work...
 OB1-KeNOOBIE
07-13-2006, 1:43 PM
Hi lightexile!
Do you have these in you swkotor.ini under [game options]?

EnableScreenShot=1
GUIsInScreenShot=0 These will allow you to take clean screenshots.

Or by "footage" do you mean more than screenshots (I use Fraps)....
To eliminate the HUDs you can't turn off in the menu options (using your first shoot as an example):
1. Start/load a game with Carth, Revan, and a third party member if you plan to use them as a "camera"*.
2. Once ingame with your actors, press "capslock" to enter freelook mode.
3. While in freelook mode, bring up the console by pressing "~" (shift/tilde) and warp to your desired module for your scene.
4. After warping you will find that all onscreen "clutter" will remain disabled until you enter and leave freelook again at which point the HUDs will reappear.

*I will be experimenting with turning a party member into a temporary camera (invisible) by resizing the dimensions of its head/model textures tonight.

As for location, the smallest room I can recall is in the sith base on Taris at the end of the first hallway. Maybe you could use the entrance to the room as the "fourth wall". I'll let you know how the "party member cam" works out....OB1
 lightexile
07-13-2006, 5:09 PM
Thanks a lot man! Good to know I've got someone a little more knowledgeable then me to go to!

I recall their being a mod out that you installed in your Kotor Diricteory and it changed the level of the camera. There were a few files in it that set the view to the head and to the hilt of a saber. Does anyone recall this mod or where to get it?
 OB1-KeNOOBIE
07-13-2006, 5:41 PM
I recall their being a mod out that you installed in your Kotor Diricteory and it changed the level of the camera. There were a few files in it that set the view to the head and to the hilt of a saber. Does anyone recall this mod or where to get it?

If Pcgamemods is fixed then go there and look for Ancharos or KristyKistic's camera mods, which is where I found them. If not maybe Lucasfiles, filefront or the authors themselves could help? Darth Insidious deserves the credit for the freelook/warp method and I got the idea for the "invisicam" from one of Darkkender's responses while I was researching dialogue for my "Recruit STARWARSKOTOR2" mod.

Edit: I got the "invisicam" working. PM me if you'd like to utilize it for your comic. (Read: I don't understand what I did yet ;) )
 lightexile
07-13-2006, 10:39 PM
Is there anyway (possibly an arm band or something) that could make my characters facial expression change, or their arms move like some of the NPCs do in the cantina and during conversation?
 Fiestainabox
07-14-2006, 9:12 AM
If Pcgamemods is fixed then go there and look for Ancharos or KristyKistic's camera mods, which is where I found them. If not maybe Lucasfiles, filefront or the authors themselves could help? Darth Insidious deserves the credit for the freelook/warp method and I got the idea for the "invisicam" from one of Darkkender's responses while I was researching dialogue for my "Recruit STARWARSKOTOR2" mod.

Edit: I got the "invisicam" working. PM me if you'd like to utilize it for your comic. (Read: I don't understand what I did yet ;) )

I made Ancharos Camera Mod, I actually forgot about that...how could I forget my own mod? Wow I'm pathetic.

Well Playing with the Camera views is quite easy after a bit of playing around. In camera styles .2da the row labelled default can be modified to your like,That way you can have your own "From Behind Views" I've tried to recreate first person, but to no luck, Closest I got was above the head.

Also, I believe There was a no-Gui Hack out there somewhere, I downloaded it, but It got itself deleted. I believe someone asked for similar help before. Let me hunt down the thread.
 lightexile
07-14-2006, 1:18 PM
Awesome. Thank you.
 OB1-KeNOOBIE
07-14-2006, 7:45 PM
I made Ancharos Camera Mod, I actually forgot about that...how could I forget my own mod? Wow

That's hilarious, thank you for making the mod :)

In camera styles .2da the row labelled default can be modified to your like,That way you can have your own "From Behind Views" I've tried to recreate first person, but to no luck, Closest I got was above the head.

Does the freelook (capslock) view change as well when those values are altered?

Also, I believe There was a no-Gui Hack out there somewhere, I downloaded it, but It got itself deleted. I believe someone asked for similar help before. Let me hunt down the thread.

Guilty as charged, I started that thread. I can send you the hack if you like. Unfortunately I was too specific with my title --"Need help hiding Gui's in LOWER CORNERS :doh: " --and as such the No-gui hack Stoffe made me does nothing to eliminate the main GUI in the middle of your footage, so I didn't offer it as a solution. I recommend sticking with the freelook/warp method to completely eliminate any onscreen feedback not covered in the menus.
 lightexile
07-14-2006, 7:57 PM
You should talk to Stoffe's about making a full no GUI hack. Nutter, your mod will definantly come in really handy. Just send a link my way when you get the chance.

By the way, is there anyway via a mod (probably an armband most likely) that can change my characters facial expressions or make them do any of the NPC motions? Thanks!
Page: 1 of 1