Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A KOTOR COOP MP mod?!

Page: 1 of 1
 cheeseyballz
07-02-2006, 2:53 PM
Is there a mod for MP coop? If so I think there should be one :) I am a HUGE fan of this game, have it for xbox as well and I have beaten it about.. 5 times, but I was thinking... Why not beat it with your good friends?! Wouldn't it be fun to fight along side your friends from real life in the epic campaign? I sure think it would! If there is a coop mod can someone link me to it, me and my fiends want to play :D
 90SK
07-02-2006, 3:03 PM
If the game wasn't designed to have multiplayer in the first place, a mod won't be able to add it. So, no, there aren't any MP coop mods, nor will there ever be.
 cheeseyballz
07-02-2006, 3:07 PM
This wouldn't be that hard to add. I mod HL2, and coop mods just take a load of tweaking. A good coder can do it!
 Darth InSidious
07-02-2006, 3:21 PM
We can't edit the .exe not only is it verboten, we have no official modding support or tools with which to do it.
 Kainzorus Prime
07-02-2006, 3:21 PM
EULA forbids making such mods for K1 or TSL.

Besides modding HL2 and K1 or TSL are two completely different things.
 cheeseyballz
07-02-2006, 4:16 PM
That sucks.
 Darkkender
07-02-2006, 5:07 PM
Wouldn't it be fun to fight along side your friends from real life in the epic campaign? I sure think it would! If there is a coop mod can someone link me to it, me and my fiends want to play :D

Do people not understand the point behind a single player immersive story based game. Why does everybody out there that is into multiplayer FPS type games want to ruin the entire selling point of the Kotor games?

I know this is a RANT of mine. But is only made worse by people talking about violating the EULA. Our community doesn't support violating this agreement and we stay around because we don't violate it. Now why do people continue to disregard the forum rules and post questions regarding violating the EULA.

A little bit harsh there DK, I think we can cut some of the really new posters some slack in this area... just an FYI. ;) -RH
 stoffe
07-02-2006, 5:20 PM
Do people not understand the point behind a single player immersive story based game. Why does everybody out there that is into multiplayer FPS type games want to ruin the entire selling point of the Kotor games?

I can't see why they would have to be mutually exclusive. Playing a game with a good storyline in coop-mode with a bunch of friends is great fun (Baldurs Gate II comes to mind). :) Sadly a co-op multiplayer mode seems to be lacking even in most games that do have a multiplayer functionality nowadays.

As for KotOR or TSL multiplayer will of course never happen. But theoretically the story wouldn't had needed much changing to make sense playing it cooperatively. One player assumes the role of Revan/Exile, and the others could be added as extra party members. :)
 Torthane
07-02-2006, 8:49 PM
A CO-OP mod could very be cool, but as stated above it would also be impossible. The reason why is because the KOTOR games have absolutly no support for multiplayer, as such it would be impossible to get online play of any sort into the game. Half life 2 has multiplayer support (unless I am very mistaken) so it could have a CO-OP mod made for it. If you wanted CO-OP in KOTOR would have to rewrite the game to include internet functions. This would be illegal and very difficult. So that is why there is no CO-OP mod.
 nineball
07-02-2006, 10:36 PM
But is only made worse by people talking about violating the EULA. Our community doesn't support violating this agreement and we stay around because we don't violate it. Now why do people continue to disregard the forum rules and post questions regarding violating the EULA.

I don't think he realized doing such a thing would violate the EULA, and I find it quite rude that you would jump on someone asking a simple question. They didn't do their research... big deal. Answer their question. Nothing else needs to be said.

And nothing is served by trying to start an argument either... if someones post offends your sensibilites your best bet is to report it*, and let us Mod types handle it, and try to not argue. ;)

* To report a post click on the little yellow dot beneath the post in question, it is located at the bottom of the avatar section. -RH
 Soogz
07-02-2006, 10:41 PM
That sucks.

That's spam.

:roleyess: And so is this post, please don't do this again, use the report a post feature instead. -RH
 cheeseyballz
07-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Ok well sorry.. But the fact is MP could be incorperated. I am going to look into it as I know a few coders, I will ask them how long it would take. This is still a possibility. Just many changes will be needed. And sorry to offend anyone -_-

Also HL2 does NOT have MP. That has to be written from scratch. If that has been done hundreds of times, I am sure a 4 player MP will not be hard to write. This is possible as I said. MP is HL2 Death Match which has NO AI in it, and is a different purchased game.
 90SK
07-03-2006, 12:26 AM
Even if by some miracle you managed to give KotOR multiplayer, no one could play because the mod would be illegal.
 cheeseyballz
07-03-2006, 1:25 AM
Why would it be illegal? Why would you have a topic on modding then? First of all modding can't be limited. MP would be possible, and even if it is illegal people will still play something like that. I don't have the coding knowledge required, but I know it's possible. Also, even if somethings illegal will Lucas Arts really be mad at someone who made a mod that will get people who don't have their game to BUY it. On other sites people said theyd buy the game just for the mod :P
 RedHawke
07-03-2006, 1:59 AM
A little FYI for everyone about this topic...

From the EULA of KotOR I;

The computer software, artwork, music, and other components included in this product, as such may be updated (collectively referred to as the "Software"), are the copyrighted property of LucasArts, a division of Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd., and/or its affiliated entities or divisions, and its licensors (collectively referred to as "LucasArts"). The Software is licensed (not sold) to you, and LucasArts owns and/or controls all copyright, trade secret, patent and other proprietary rights in the Software. You may use the Software on a single computer. You may not: (1) copy (other than once for back-up purposes), distribute, rent, lease or sublicense all or any portion of the Software; (2) modify or prepare derivative works of the Software; (3) transmit the Software over a network, by telephone, or electronically using any means, except in the course of your network multi-player play of the Software over authorized networks; (4) engage in matchmaking for multi-player play over unauthorized networks; (5) design or distribute unauthorized levels; or (6) reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software. You may transfer the Software, but only if the recipient agrees to accept and be bound by the terms and conditions of this Agreement. If you transfer the Software, you must transfer all components and documentation and erase any copies residing on the game console and/or computer equipment. Your rights in and to this license are automatically terminated if and when you transfer the Software.
LA is definately aware of our endeavours, so is Bioware and OE, because we have not yet violated the EULA, because we do not distribute the games actual 'software', simply edited pre-existing game files they let us slide.

What you, cheeseyballz, are asking for would need to be a re-distribution of edits to the games actual software, and that is in definate violation of the parts of the EULA (2 and 6) that I made orange above.

Sorry, but Multi-Player KotOR and TSL aspirations are clearly out of our realm of acceptable discussion.
 EnderWiggin
07-03-2006, 2:16 AM
I'm afraid this thread might be :lock: if it continues on its present course...

One thing I do want to say is about this.
Why would you have a topic on modding then? First of all modding can't be limited.

Modding can, and is, limited for us. Bioware/Obsidian didn't really want us modding, at least not supported modding. There are many things we cannot do and are not allowed to do here.

And this.
Also, even if somethings illegal will Lucas Arts really be mad at someone who made a mod that will get people who don't have their game to BUY it..

So what you're saying is, if someone does something illegal and distributes the software, would the company sue even if it does draw revenue? If so, the answer is a big resounding yes. Ask our resident lawyer Darth333; if we did as you are suggesting not only would they be angry at the modder who committed the crime but at the whole community. There might even be talk of shutting this forum down and getting rid of the mods that are being made now.

On other sites people said theyd buy the game just for the mod ;P

Well, what you call a mod isn't really a mod. It's a game. You are talking about remaking the game including editing the *.exe. If those other sites want to be submitted to the wrath of LucasArts, so be it.

_EW_
 90SK
07-03-2006, 2:17 AM
Edit: whoops, looks like you beat me too it EnderWiggin. Curses, obsessive spell-checking! :fist:

Why would it be illegal? Why would you have a topic on modding then? First of all modding can't be limited.

Of course it can. We can't port things from other games into either KotOR game, for one thing. And of course modifying herd-coded elements like the game engine are strictly forbidden. You can't create a multiplayer mode without editing the game engine to somehow allow more than one player. Hence, it is illegal.

MP would be possible, and even if it is illegal people will still play something like that.

Lucasarts can shut down this place easily. If the community at large was utilizing an illegal modification, that wouldn't be very good incentive for them to support a modding community.

I don't have the coding knowledge required, but I know it's possible.

If you don't have the knowledge, how do you figure it's possible? There's no indications that it could be done: quite the opposite, really.

Also, even if somethings illegal will Lucas Arts really be mad at someone who made a mod that will get people who don't have their game to BUY it. On other sites people said theyd buy the game just for the mod :P

It doesn't matter. License agreement infringement = No more mods.
 RedHawke
07-03-2006, 2:40 AM
I'm afraid this thread might be :lock: if it continues on its present course...
Did I leave it open? Hmm... Drat! I hate when that happens. :xp:
I intended to close it on my last post but forgot to check the option.

Seriously though cheeseyballz, everything that needs to be said on the legality issues has been said. Sorry, but this is an area that we will not tread. While this may seem silly or nonsensical to you, it isn't to us.
Page: 1 of 1