Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Some ideas for jk4?

Page: 1 of 1
 Edge1982
06-17-2006, 7:59 PM
What you think that would definativly make a good jk4 if they decide to make one? Personally im pettry sure it would be a big hit if we have the option of either chosing good or evil side right off the bat. Then for exemple if you pick evil, you start as a sith then slowly grow in power aswell as fighting good jedi. Though you still get the possibility to change to good during the game to the point that yer own fellow sith might even turn on you. Same thing could happend if you decide to pick good side, you could turn into a sith so therefore yer fellow jedi want to slay you down as you become a threat to them. Also use the Hl2 engine and it would be a blast. All whats left to make the game perfect would be to add to the gameplay, adding a way for the player to block with their lightsabers instead of random block as the current jka. This would add strategy and remove the "cts factor of randomess".
So what you think?
 TK-8252
06-17-2006, 8:22 PM
Aren't you getting a bit ahead? First they need to make JK3! ;)

But seriously, I agree with all your ideas posted. Hell yeah to the HL2 engine.
 Inyri
06-17-2006, 8:51 PM
JK3 = Jedi Academy. Did you lose count?
 Edge1982
06-17-2006, 8:54 PM
dark force isnt a jedi knight serie, there wasnt any lightsaber, therefore the jk serie end up at 3 : jedi knight, jedi knight oucast and jedi knight academy.
 TK-8252
06-17-2006, 11:32 PM
JK3 = Jedi Academy. Did you lose count?

Eh, maybe you did. No where is Jedi Academy called "JK3" except as a nickname made up by the community. Just look at the CD case; it says: "Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy"

Notice the lack of a III.
 Mr_No_One
06-18-2006, 5:42 PM
JK3 = Jedi academy see how it takes place after JK2? listin to kyle "some leftovers of Desann's reborn.." or sumthin like that. listin to cinamatics in da game! its after jk2!
 TSR
06-18-2006, 6:04 PM
fo'shizzle! calm it lads, easy mistake:xp: it should be good, i havnt whipped out J:JA for a while now, so it may rekindle my interest in the game :)
 TK-8252
06-18-2006, 8:18 PM
For some reason, the internet keeps locking up when I try to make big posts, so I will have to break it up into two posts...

JK3 = Jedi academy see how it takes place after JK2? listin to kyle "some leftovers of Desann's reborn.." or sumthin like that. listin to cinamatics in da game! its after jk2!

Hey man, look at the CD case; no where does it say JK3 or III on it! It may come after JK2, but it's more of an expansion, spin-off, or a side-quest, than an actual JK game. MotS came after JK, but does it make it JK2? Nope. The devs realized this with JA, and did not make it the official JK3.

How would it look if the devs put out a new JK game, so it went...

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Jedi Knight IV: Jedi...?

Where's the III?

But frankly, this argument has been done to death, so we can agree to disagree if you want (although *I* know *I'm* right!)

I want to contribute to the thread, and I will do so by putting forth some of my own ideas:
 Edge1982
06-18-2006, 8:19 PM
back to the main subject now? lol :)
 TK-8252
06-18-2006, 8:19 PM
I think that *JK3* could, instead of having you play as Jaden, you'd play as Kyle again. Jaden would have gone down the dark side path (the light side ending would be damn boring to play), and you would have to hunt Jaden down in a similar manner as you hunted Jerec down in JK. Jaden has used the sceptor to resurrect lesser Sith Lords, ones who he could bend to his will. Remember how Jerec had those other dark Jedi dudes with him?

So Jaden has now taken over the Imperial Remnant, and has begun working to rebuild the Empire. Kyle (you) fights off the same kinds of enemies as in all the other games. Stormtroopers, Imperial Officers, Imperial Commandos, Rodians, Grans, Trandoshans, Weequays, etc., as well as the newly-resurrected Sith Lords, and eventually, Jaden himself. But will you kill him? Eh... maybe, maybe not. Haven't really thought about that part yet.

Anyway, just my ideas. And HL2 engine of course!
 Det. Bart Lasiter
06-18-2006, 10:23 PM
It'll probably be on the Quake 4+/Doom 3+ engine.
 TK-8252
06-18-2006, 11:08 PM
It'll probably be on the Quake 4+/Doom 3+ engine.

Well, I don't see why it would have to be. Who's to say Ravensoft would make the next game? They already made JK2 and JA... it seems that a new company is needed. I think that JA is of poor quality compared to JK2, and hell, even the original JK and MotS.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
06-19-2006, 1:09 AM
Well, I don't see why it would have to be. Who's to say Ravensoft would make the next game? They already made JK2 and JA... it seems that a new company is needed. I think that JA is of poor quality compared to JK2, and hell, even the original JK and MotS.I think Raven did a fine job on both JK2 and JA.

As for the HL2 engine, I don't see Valve licensing the Source engine for another AAA-class comercial game (the Source engine/Steam is one of their major selling points).
 TK-8252
06-19-2006, 1:11 AM
I think Raven did a fine job on both JK2 and JA.

JK2 was great, but JA felt like it was thrown together. The characters were VERY blah (Alora? Rosh??) and I'd rather be kick-ass Kyle than some pissy kid.
 Samnmax221
06-19-2006, 1:14 AM
JA was kinda filled with some pretty obviously recycled plots
 Char Ell
06-19-2006, 1:21 AM
Last I heard LEC wasn't planning on commissioning another JK game.

Has something changed or is this thread simply a means to vent pent-up desire for another JK? :indif:
 NightBlade
06-19-2006, 8:44 AM
man jk4 better have some more better skin's then JA like no of the skin look like anything in any of the movies or ect.no one had big robes ,no siths , no darth sith.vader,mual, yeah sure u can get the skin but like 5 out of 32 people have it

ill i hope is that JK4 has better skins
 Tinny
06-19-2006, 8:11 PM
I want geo modding :(. And vehicles that you can ride in without being bolted to them, i.e. running around in a sand barge or a millenium falcon and manning different guns by actually going to them.
 Mr_No_One
06-19-2006, 10:43 PM
THE WHOLE JK series : Jedi knight: dark forces II, Jedi knight: MotS, Jedi knight2: Jedi outcast, Jedi knight3: Jedi ACADEMY
 TK-8252
06-20-2006, 8:46 AM
THE WHOLE JK series : Jedi knight: dark forces II, Jedi knight: MotS, Jedi knight2: Jedi outcast, Jedi knight3: Jedi ACADEMY

Look, we can argue this all day, but I don't really want to ruin this thread with that. All I'll say is look at any place where the title of Jedi Academy (Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy) is listed and no where will you see a 3 or III. Just like with Mysteries of the Sith; it was labeled just as Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith, even though it came after the first Jedi Knight game. Wouldn't that, using your flawed logic, make MotS the actual JK2, and Jedi Outcast would be JK3, and then Jedi Academy would be JK4?
 Mr_No_One
06-20-2006, 10:07 AM
look they're gonna make a jk4 NO QESTION ABOUT IT go visit da lucasarts.com or lucasfiles.com
 UDM
06-20-2006, 2:20 PM
Mr No One, sorry I tried my best, my eyesight even went up by 50 degrees in doing so. Unfortunately, I saw no mention on lucasarts.com

Oh yeah, if there ever was a JK4, hopefully it'd be on the Doom 3 engine. Specular mapping would make for some awesome visuals. And with megatexture, we'd finally see a better Tatooine. HL2's engine isnt' bad, but in many ways, besides its recent HDR, the only thing really impressive are the 3d skyboxes. Physics are good, but comparably standard fare if you remove the gravity gun. The only games with poopy ragdoll physics that comes to mind are Thief 3 and Deus Ex 2. Else, it pretty much loses out to the upcoming Crysis, Quake Wars and UT2k7

The Chronicles Of Riddick looks better than HL2 imho. The guys at Starbreeze really spent a lot of effort in that one, and even till today, I personally feel it's got better graphics than anything else on the market. Even Doom 3 and the more recent Oblivion. At max settings, TCOR is ridiculously realistic. But let's not let the thread derail eh...
 TK-8252
06-20-2006, 2:23 PM
Mr No One, sorry I tried my best, my eyesight even went up by 50 degrees in doing so. Unfortunately, I saw no mention on lucasarts.com

I have no clue what Mr No One is talking about; there is indeed no mention of new JK game on any official site.

Physics are good, but comparably standard fare if you remove the gravity gun.

Good is an understatement for sure. They're nearly perfect. Also, just the little things about the game, like being able to pick up anything in the world with the use key and toss it around. And just imagine, Garry's Mod for a Jedi Knight game!

Although I admit, I'm biased on this issue; I've never played Doom 3...
 UDM
06-20-2006, 2:32 PM
That's what I'm talking about - they work like the physics in almost any other game. The huge difference is that nearly everything can be picked up and moved about

Crap (ragdoll) physics, off the top of my head, would be uh...Thief 3 and Deus Ex 2, mentioned above. Those two also used Havok, but the whole implementation was **** awful. Passable by gaming standards, but comparatively a no
 Det. Bart Lasiter
06-20-2006, 5:11 PM
That's what I'm talking about - they work like the physics in almost any other game. The huge difference is that nearly everything can be picked up and moved about

Crap (ragdoll) physics, off the top of my head, would be uh...Thief 3 and Deus Ex 2, mentioned above. Those two also used Havok, but the whole implementation was **** awful. Passable by gaming standards, but comparatively a noAll of the newer games use ragdoll physics, it's just a matter of how it's implemented in the game. If they didn't use ragdoll physics, they'd have to use something like particle physics, which would treat all game entities as a single rigid-body, which, while good for particle effects (surprise, surprise), would suck for any humanoid body that isn't in full rigor mortis.
 cjd118118
06-21-2006, 3:53 PM
I'd love to see a new jedi knight game althought it might mean a pc upgrade!
 fenderPRECISION
06-28-2006, 4:21 PM
What I want in a Jedi Knight game is more immersion, freedom, and a cinematic "movie-style" experience. This seems to be the trend in newer games and would be great for a title wtih a rich Star Wars heritage.

A revamped saber system would be nice for MP. Something that makes bunny hopping and running about wildly unneccessary and impractical. Because let's face it: most online saber fights look too much like pinanta(sp?) parties as they are now. I think the current saber system works fine for SP, but I would like to see more available saber styles (i.e. styles that are not just stronger or faster versions of each other). The game developers could use the fighting forms elaborated on by the EU. Here's a link for all you super geeks :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightsaber_fighting)

Also, more non-lightsaber attacks available while dueling. Namely kicks and throws (http://www.judoinfo.com/animate.htm)

I agree with Tk-8252 that there needs to be more dark jedi who are actual fleshed out characters. Reborn are great, but boss enemies with distinct personalities adds more drama to the duels. Think about what made Empire's duel between Luke and Vader great. It wasn't technically as impressive as the PT fighting, but it had drama and atmosphere. Luke is confronting the man who killed his father and his mentor with his slain father's weapon. Heavy stuff.

Also, no more customizable protagonists like in JA. I think everyone would agree that customization is not desirable when it's at the expense of character development. (Especially considering the rather limited options in JA)
 UDM
06-29-2006, 11:01 AM
That reminds me, I'd really love to see the combat system to be similar to OJP's in JK4 too

As well, while reborns are fun to fight, they get boring in the long run. Saber duels need to be made unique, not something that occurs once every 10 minutes
 Maxstate
06-30-2006, 9:08 AM
That reminds me, I'd really love to see the combat system to be similar to OJP's in JK4 too

As well, while reborns are fun to fight, they get boring in the long run. Saber duels need to be made unique, not something that occurs once every 10 minutes

I agree with this fully.
 Hayabusa
06-30-2006, 11:23 PM
Three words: Kyle vs. Vong.

That little comic in Tales #21 just wasn't enough!
 TK-8252
06-30-2006, 11:25 PM
Three words: Kyle vs. Vong.

That'd be a negative.

Please keep the Vong crap out of the JK series. Please.
 DarkStarMojo
07-01-2006, 2:39 AM
Let's keep the Vong out of Star Wars. Period.

TK-8252, you pretty much hit upon the same idea I had, except I'd rather Jaden has just used the scepter to become real powerful, kind of like Jerec was planning to do in JK, rather than resurrecting dead Sith Lords. After how overdone the Sith/Jedi mysticism and prequel-esque stuff was in JA, I'm just interested in getting back to an old style DF/DF2 kinda game - lightsaber combat where appropriate and a good balance between the guns (it is supposed to be a First Person Shooter, after all). I've pretty much gone over most of my ideas in the stickied thread (which is probably where this whole discussion belongs ;)) but there's one thing I've never been able to settle on: the graphics. I'm a big fan of Unreal tech (mostly because the most recent version used on UT2k4 and Republic Commando actually works pretty flawlessly on my PC and it's a very versatile system) but I'm also a fan of the Half Life engine, which is also very good but not too demanding on the hardware. I'm too keen on Doom3. To me, it seems overhyped, requires too much of the latest wizardry, and isn't adaptable to older systems. That, and for some reason everything always seems like it's made out of plastic, no matter what game it's used in.
 TK-8252
07-01-2006, 3:00 AM
except I'd rather Jaden has just used the scepter to become real powerful, kind of like Jerec was planning to do in JK, rather than resurrecting dead Sith Lords.

That'd be great too. It's just that I'm trying to hold onto hope that the next JK game might be SOMETHING like the original (awesome) JK. Even if that means following a similar plot. :D

BTW... I've read that officially, the light-side ending for JA is what is considered canon. Damnit. >.<
 DarkStarMojo
07-01-2006, 9:49 PM
Where'd you read that?

Usually, the lights side ending is what is considered canon (until someone says otherwise) because, at least from a marketing standpoint, nobody wants to play as the badguys. Personally, I don't believe this is true, otherwise we wouldn't have the option of falling to the darkside. Now, the lightside ending might be considered canon until another company comes a long and decides, when making a JK3/JA2/JK4/whatever it's called, that Jaden fell to the darkside. Considering Jaden is barely a 2-dimensional character because we know little to nothing about who he/she is (yes, including gender which is a big part of who a person is) except that he/she came from Coruscant and is very strong in the Force, I doubt the character is going to be used in any kind of fiction again, unless another JK game allows you, the player, to determine who Jaden is via a) playing the character and customizing him/her or b) answering questions throughout the game that are catalogued and recorded and then used to determine Jaden's gender and appearance, including skin color, species, clothing attributes, etc. This can only be done, however, if the darkside ending was followed. Playing as Jaden again, would really be repetitive and at the expence of a good, solid story, which I don't think anybody wants to see happen again. So, regardless of which ending is considered canon or not, the only options for another game are either an entirely new adventure of Kyle's unrelated to JA, another JA-clone, or a direct sequel involving Jaden's fall to the darkside. This is pretty much what I want but an entirely new story revolving around Kyle wouldn't be bad either, as long as it's good and a well-designed game.
 TK-8252
07-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Where'd you read that?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jaden_Korr#Alternate_ending)

That's what Wookieepedia has to say.
 Neon
07-02-2006, 8:54 AM
If you are Kyle again in the next JK game hunting Jaden (darksider) down, I would be happy enough. Even I can write a story about this complot.
 toms
07-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Well, as this is all hypothetical i'll throw my thoughts into the ring.

Story wise, Kyle and the Jk universe is pretty much played out. You could keep on adding stuff to the end, but it gets silly as the remnant has been crushed so many times, the vong are stupid, kyle can't keep forgetting and relearning skills, and after the stupid romance with Jan i don't care much anyway.

Get a new character. Set it between the prequels and the OT. That way you have a clean slate, you have a time period that hasn't been all played out and that has the potential for a lot more jedi and imperial involvement.

I don't read the novels (except the Zahn ones) as they tend to suck, so i don't know if there are any existing characters/events for that period that might work well. but in general i think its best to create a new fiction for the games, not have fanboys complaining that you messed up the continuity of Mara or something.

JK/KOTOR style choosing dark or light side is essential. It was dumbed down in JO and JA and both games suffered because of it. Don't dumb it down from JK, boost it up towards KOTOR!

A decent mix between guns, force and sabers is essential. JO/JA strayed too much to being a 3rd person saber-only game and became quickly repetetive because of it.

Personal preference, but i thought the prequels made sabers too powerful... with all the flippy saber-fu. they were better balanced in the OT when they were more like samurai swords. In JO you never felt any threat from the stormies and could just plow through unlimited numbers of them. Also in JO the saber weilding foes were too common. Make them rarer, a bit like JK, so the saber battles are more impressive and unique.

Make the game like Deus Ex 1. Give the player a blank slate character and let them add points to their saber skill, their pistol skill, their rifle skill, their force skill, their weapon mod skill, their speed, their toughness, their persuasion, their computer skill, or whatever combination of the above they want. People want to make a han solo character with super modded weapons and very little jedi skills? Let them. People want to make a balanced character with a saber in one hand and a pistol in the other? Let them. People want their full-on jedi with no guns? let them.

Make the level designs more like JK and Deus Ex. JK had probably the best environmetal puzzles of any FPS ever. Deus Ex had the best "do it your way" levels of any game. Combine them. Let people complete the level by:
- blasting their way through
- talking their way through
- solving the puzzles
- using force jump and stealth to find a secret way through
or any combination of the above.

JO and JA had everything we thought we wanted (pick a face, pick a saber, etc..) and it all turned out to be pointless windowdressing. Make a good, branching plot and i don't care if i can't choose my saber hilt or name!! (was there ever a point in picking saber hilts? what a waste of dev time)

As for multiplayer, i never played it much, but i can't see a JK game ever rivalling the big boys at multiplayer popularity. If you had the above RPG system then you could at least try to balance it, giving different points to different abilities and weapons.

Again, personal preference, but i'd like them to slow down the saber and shooting elemets and make it less twitchy and more tactical. Stamina bars to stop too much running and jumping or something. Make it more like BF2 in pace, rather than Quake3. And dump the saber styles.

So how would I tie that all together? Make the player a new, unknown character in the imperial/republic navy. Have them start to discover force powers. Have them become involved in the actions of vader hunting down the last remaining jedi. Have them have to make choices about which side to support and which path to take. Maybe have Vader try to take them under his wing as an apprentice to help him overthrow the emperor.. or they could choose to side with a fleeing jedi vader was hunting. Link it to JK/JO by having them encounter young kyle (in the naval academy?), young jan, Rhan or Jerec or one of Jerec's disciples, maybe even Mara Jade.

Well, thats what I'd do. I don't expect to see a JK or even JO type game anytime soon. Though I did think they'd bring out more games in the "between trilogy" space. Right now they seem to be concentrating on console games, which feel more lightweight somehow. Even JO and JA kind of felt more like console games than proper FPS games.
 katanamaru
07-02-2006, 6:28 PM
If your looking for timelines, I just started getting the new Legacy series of comics so that could be a good move.
 HK-42
07-02-2006, 7:26 PM
i think jk4/jk3 you should be jaden it has two slections lS DS different levels for the sides story line good features good then they should do a expashion pack of the same time but your kyle looking for jaden
 magna mandaloe
07-04-2006, 7:03 PM
Well I guess It would make sense to be Kyle and maybe Jaden could lead the attack on Corusant (Or was that Yuuzhan Vong?) If im wrong. They could have Ysanne Isard which would be cool. but in the End you would Fight Ragnos fully ressurected then fight Jaden and leave him alive and tell him about look what you have done to the Jedi bla bla bla you get the Picture.
Page: 1 of 1