Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Anyone else having issues w/PCGamemods.com?

Page: 1 of 1
 Allronix
06-08-2006, 4:50 PM
Been trying to upload two new mods to their vast databases. So, I log in, put my RAR file in their HTML form.

I get this warning above the form asking for the mod's description:

Warning: filesize() [function.filesize]: stat failed for temp/Dlg pack2.rar in /home/web/pcgm3/upload.php on line 225

So, I fill in the description and hit "Submit."

Warning: filesize() [function.filesize]: stat failed for ../temp/Dlg pack2.rar in /home/web/pcgm3/scripts/addmod.php on line 29

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'DBException' with message 'Database: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'SELECT A GAME, (SELECT dep FROM sections WHERE id = ), ,' at line 2' in /home/web/pcgm3/library/db.php:29 Stack trace: #0 /home/web/pcgm3/scripts/addmod.php(33): db->query('INSERT INTO cor...') #1 thrown in /home/web/pcgm3/library/db.php on line 29

Advice?
 stoffe
06-08-2006, 5:15 PM
Been trying to upload two new mods to their vast databases. So, I log in, put my RAR file in their HTML form.
(snip)
I get this warning above the form asking for the mod's description:

Unfortunately PCGameMods has been broken for a few months, making it impossible to submit new content. Any submissions you see in the list newer than late March is likely existing mods that have been updated (which still seems to work for some reason).

You can upload your mods to LucasFiles (http://www.lucasfiles.com) instead if you can stand their arcane and overcomplicated upload process. There may be other alternative sites as well, but it's the only one I can think of right away. :)
 Shem
06-08-2006, 5:26 PM
Unfortunately PCGameMods has been broken for a few months, making it impossible to submit new content.That's been going on since the end of January/beginning of February.
 mjpb3
06-08-2006, 6:07 PM
You can upload your mods to LucasFiles (http://www.lucasfiles.com) instead if you can stand their arcane and overcomplicated upload process.
That's why I got my own website :D
 Inyri
06-08-2006, 6:22 PM
There may be other alternative sites as well, but it's the only one I can think of right away.I know a lot of you have a stigma on FileFront, but for those that don't KotORFiles (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/) is always an option. I assure you it's completely safe and secure these days, and files probably go up quicker there than at LucasFiles, simply because it's KotOR series dedicated.
 Darkkender
06-09-2006, 6:13 PM
I know a lot of you have a stigma on FileFront, but for those that don't KotORFiles (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/) is always an option. I assure you it's completely safe and secure these days, and files probably go up quicker there than at LucasFiles, simply because it's KotOR series dedicated.

The stigma on KotorFiles(Filefront) is multi-fold. First and foremost the piracy of mods from pcgamemods that to this day some of them have never been removed. But the biggest lynchpin to the silent Boycott by the majority of the community is the option of purchasing a CD filled with the mods of your choice. This has been red flagged by our own local lawyer/modder/moderator as being a potential point of violation of the EULA. The fact that there has been no legal assurances that the modder that makes his mods available there will not be subject to prosecution makes most of us who are aware of this site too uncomfortable.

While all modders are free to host there mods where ever they like, we should all take caution as to our choice of locations. When deciding where to host your mods you should take into consideration any potential problems in the future.
 Inyri
06-09-2006, 6:41 PM
The stigma on KotorFiles(Filefront) is multi-fold. First and foremost the piracy of mods from pcgamemods that to this day some of them have never been removed.I love the guys there now, but they're more interested in getting it active again, and with no current communication between you guys and the site those files are never going to get removed, because the staff just isn't psychic. If you want to put together a list for me I'll take care of it ASAP.

But the biggest lynchpin to the silent Boycott by the majority of the community is the option of purchasing a CD filled with the mods of your choice.That feature hasn't been available at least since you mentioned it. While there was nothing illegal about it (I'm not going to argue this point, just try shipping a package overseas and you'll see where the fee comes in) the feature was removed after you guys brought it up, which actually disappointed a lot of people with 56K and lower connections who simply can't upload larger files.

As such modders have nothing to fear about being hosted on KotORFiles, or any other FileFront network site. All the issues you have had in the past (that I know of) have been rectified months ago, and several apologies have been issued both by KotORFiles staff and FileFront management. While I and other staff believe one or more of those apologies were inadequate, the point I wish to make is that none of the people who were working with KotORFiles at the time of these problems are not there anymore. The staff is completely fresh, they've adopted new (and very tough) plagiarism policies, and to my knowledge no file has been added since that time that was not directly submitted to the site.

I do not blame any of you for the feelings you have regarding the issues of the past, however I believe for the sake of the community's unity the past should be regarded as the past. We still get a decent number of people visiting the site, as well as its forum. We don't hesitate to send people here when they have questions unanswerable by our community, and we hope with time perhaps you'll realize we're all one big family rather than a disjointed lot of communities.

And if the removal of the CD service is not proof to you that FileFront takes complaints seriously, I don't know what is. Rest assured your voices were heard, and the changes you so adamantly requested were made long ago. We don't even ask for your support, just an end to your rage. None of the good folks at KotORFiles had anything to do with the budding site's problem, and I'm sure they'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't blame them for the problems of the past.

Of course if you still feel there are issues that remain unsolved I'm more than happy to bring them up with FileFront management. I fully intend to remain around LucasForums, as this seems like a really wonderful community, but I always want to do my part to reduce the tensions so the community can be unified without hostilities. You guys all do great work and I'd hate to think you still believe FileFront is an unsafe place for you to entrust your wonderful work, and I'm sure that small percentage of people that use only FileFront's network to get their much-wanted mods from would love to see this feud end as well.
 Darth Methos
06-09-2006, 7:54 PM
^^^
Pardon my bluntness. I call this B.S.

:lock:
 Inyri
06-09-2006, 7:56 PM
You can be blunt all you like, but I assure you it's not BS at all, unless you'd like to give me some proof that anything I said is false in which case I'll admit the error.
 stoffe
06-10-2006, 12:02 AM
Well, I can only speak for myself, but I'm hardly holding a grudge towards that site. It is providing a free service after all which, from what little I've seen of it so far seems to work well and offer decent download speed with relatively few hoops to jump through. Still, my reason for not using it is of a more practical nature.

The biggest problem I had with www.kotorfiles.com) which prevented me from using it is the file upload procedure, since I don't have any suitable email account that permits emailing of large files. And I'm usually rather suspicious about giving out my real email address unless there's a good reason nowadays, considering the amount of spam that already finds its way into my inbox daily. :)

This was PCGMs largest advantage compared to the other alternatives, the extremely simple upload procedure where you just type in a description in a form and browse to the file, and it's submitted as soon as you press the button. But since PCGM is broken and seems to stay broken that's all moot now.
 Inyri
06-10-2006, 1:56 AM
I know what you mean about the spam problems. Putting your e-mail address blatantly on any FileFront network site is a problem because we get crawled so much. My old account used to get hundreds of spam e-mails a day just from the network sites, so I don't put it on the staff pages and such anymore.

Anyway I certainly didn't mean to deflect the thread any. I'm just a modder like the rest of you -- well, not as talented as some of the rest of you ;).

Oh and just between you and me, PCGM's direct upload advantage over the FileFront network will not be an advantage in the (hopefully) near future, if you take my meaning. Things are in the works, but it has shown in the past that new features are slow in coming. But on the otherhand FileFront has a paid tech team, unlike PCGM which is just run by your average guy.

Anyway if that system gets put into place in the near future I hope maybe you'll consider trying again ;). While there are always alternatives to direct e-mail (ie yousendit (yech), rapidshare (confusing), or one of the other free hosting services) I can understand the hassle it represents. I usually just make anything large for just that reason.
Page: 1 of 1