Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Elimination of Registered User title

Page: 1 of 1
 Char Ell
05-21-2006, 2:21 PM
How big of a deal would it be to get rid of the global "Registered User" title for every forum member that has <1,000 posts?

As you may expect, I really don't like the thing. If I'm able to post on LucasForums then it stands to reason that I'm a registered user. I really don't need my title to state that. Since it seems like the pre-vb3 forum titles of old aren't coming back (Bantha Fodder, Stormtrooper, etc.) I would prefer not having any title at all until hitting the 1,000 post mark when I could then create a custom title.
 Thrik
05-21-2006, 3:12 PM
You know, the per-forum custom title system's reinstation had completely slipped my mind due to all the other pressing issued that were cropping up when it was last discussed. I'll have a look into seeing whether or not it's feasible to bring it back.
 Char Ell
05-21-2006, 7:48 PM
Thanks for the response, Thrik. :)

The per-forum custom titles would be cool to have back and I'm all for that. If however that isn't feasible or turns out to be more hassle than they are really worth then FWIW my vote is to have no title at all until the 1,000 post mark. Or at least hopefully delete the "Registered User" title for my account. ;)
 Char Ell
06-21-2006, 11:11 AM
Any determination on the feasibility of restoring per-forum titles that change as a forum member's postcount increases?

If the answer is no I propose replacing the default "Registered User" title with no title at all. If input from forum members' is desired before making such a decision then perhaps a LucasForums poll could be started and announced that would give everyone a chance to voice their opinion on the subject. I'm just not sure what to expect in this type of poll from members that already have 1,000 posts or more.
 Jeff
06-21-2006, 12:39 PM
If you can't restore the per-forum ranks, why not just make a set of generic ranks for all the forums depending on the post count?
 Jeff
07-11-2006, 3:30 PM
I don't know if there's any interest in this still, but I found this article... here (http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24482)... that tells how to eliminate titles from certain usergroups.
 Char Ell
07-11-2006, 11:20 PM
Nice find, Darth Moeller!

I know I'm interested but my interest counts for slim to nothing. Finding a way to get the admins interested is what I need to figure out how to do. Of course somebody else that knows how to get the admins interested in this works just as well. :D
 Thrik
07-12-2006, 5:48 AM
It's not off the agenda, but getting the original functionality back is a fairly complex job as it was a completely custom hack produced specifically for LucasForums when it was based on vBulletin 2 (this is vBulletin 3). While the man of all things PHP is still planning to work on it, he's had other things on his plate; some related to LF, some not.

Needless to say, if we're going to be producing one hack ourselves (which may result in all sorts of breakage temporarily), we don't want to be installing other hacks or messing around with the default setup.

Sorry that there's such a delay, but it'll be sorted out in some way whenever possible.
 Char Ell
07-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Very good then. I remember Darth333 saying that the per-forum titles were custom hacks on vB 2 and would have to be rebuilt for vB 3. Sounds kind of dicey. :eek:

May the Force be with "The Man Of All Things PHP" (matt-- I believe) as well as the rest of the admins working on this project.
 Thrik
07-12-2006, 1:57 PM
Well, I didn't want to put him on the spot, but yes. ;)
 Jeff
07-13-2006, 8:48 PM
While we're on the subject of hacks and what version, does LF ever plan to upgrade to the newest version of vbulletin? 3.6 is almost gone gold, some of the new features are looking pretty sweet, like integrated warning system and multi-quote.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
07-13-2006, 10:06 PM
While we're on the subject of hacks and what version, does LF ever plan to upgrade to the newest version of vbulletin? 3.6 is almost gone gold, some of the new features are looking pretty sweet, like integrated warning system and multi-quote.3.6 beta 4 is friggin' win.
 Char Ell
07-13-2006, 10:22 PM
Sounds great and all but aren't we just a year out from LFN's vB3 upgrade? I don't know what the admins thoughts on upgrade strategy are but if I was in their shoes I wouldn't want to be going through another major upgrade so soon. The last upgrade seemed like it took quite a bit of work and planning. Why not just wait until vB 4 comes out? :D Just my two cents...

And besides if the admins are seriously considering another vB upgrade before the end of the year then it wouldn't make much sense to spend the time setting up the custom hacks for the per-forum titles again. That would make me sad. :( ;)
 Jeff
07-13-2006, 11:03 PM
3.6 beta 4 is friggin' win.RC (release candidate) came out earlier this week :D
 Det. Bart Lasiter
07-14-2006, 12:18 AM
RC (release candidate) came out earlier this week :DKnow any forums that use it?
 Jeff
07-14-2006, 1:03 AM
No, the only forum I visit that has upgraded is still on beta 4. It probably doesn't have that many changes, mostly minor fixes. But I definitely think it would be cool to see LF upgrade when it goes gold :D

EDIT: besides the official vb forums, but you have to be licensed to post there.
 Thrik
07-14-2006, 6:23 AM
We have no immediate plans to upgrade, or rather none have yet been proposed. Because major version changes in vBulletin have a habit of completely rewriting the templates, redoing them all for each community is an extremely long and draining task. There's also the other stuff that goes with any forum upgrade, which becomes quite intense when you've got the amount of data to deal with that we do.

There is a chance that we'll upgrade to 3.6 once it's fully stable and established, but it'll depend on what vBulletin's own plans are. The last thing we want to do is end up upgrading to 3.0 like before and then have 3.5 come along a few months later with sweeping template changes that make it unfeasible to upgrade.

That said, myself and Matt who dealt with the majority of the upgrade to 3.0 learnt a lot about the ins and outs of handling the whole thing, so hopefully it'll be quicker and smoother when we next upgrade. Rest assured though, keeping up to date is always a concern of ours. :)
 Pho3nix
07-16-2006, 5:36 PM
It would be nice to be able to write your own title before the 1000 posts tho' :p
But I guess you can't have everything in this world.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
07-16-2006, 6:08 PM
No, the only forum I visit that has upgraded is still on beta 4. It probably doesn't have that many changes, mostly minor fixes. But I definitely think it would be cool to see LF upgrade when it goes gold :D

EDIT: besides the official vb forums, but you have to be licensed to post there.YTMND finally upgraded, they're using the new release candidate, although it's not fully operational yet.

***Edit***
Nevermind, they switched to RC2 already.
Page: 1 of 1