Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Map Editor Tips, hints, questions here

Page: 3 of 4
 Zudece
05-31-2006, 3:04 PM
anyone here know how to get the map name listed in multiplayer insted of "not found"? i'v seen some costom maps where the guy got it to work but i can't tell how he did it by looking at his map in the editor.

and i saw some ppl haveing a hard time playing there maps! make shure you name it in the file/map properties window of the mapeditor same place you set map size. i couldn't see my maps ether untill i named them in that field
 fortune faded13
05-31-2006, 4:56 PM
i made a land map with 4 blocks, and the borders set to zero. its HUGE. i havent played it yet cuz im still working on it...so are you telling me that the map wont work?
 [SFV]Android
05-31-2006, 5:53 PM
does any1 know how to change the planet name for a space level? alderaan is pretty lame IMO =)

edit: for the loading screen i mean
 Zudece
06-01-2006, 11:17 AM
i made a land map with 4 blocks, and the borders set to zero. its HUGE. i havent played it yet cuz im still working on it...so are you telling me that the map wont work?

it should work fine the blocks are how big the ground will be and the borders are so ppl can go to the bounds of the playable map and still see ground past the borders insted of just black/blue space it's just fluff!

you can make it 1-15 blocks and the borders whatever you want the lower the # the closer to the edg the bounds will be.
 Zudece
06-01-2006, 3:33 PM
there are still 3 thing i want to do but i can't figer out how.

1. to get reinforcements to keep comming out of the base. i'v seen some maps where they got lots to keep comming out i'v seen up to crusers come as reinforcements and they have little white flags and don't cost troop placement.

2. to list the map name in the lobby insted of "not found" i have also seen several player made maps that list.

3. to get a peview map insted of the blue defult preview.
 Zudece
06-01-2006, 3:45 PM
no, you have to use Marker and Spawn 0 for Empire AND REBEL, then Marker and Spawn 1 for Empire AND REBEL. that way any player can be Empire or Rebel. so in an 8 player game you would put 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 for Empire and 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 for the rebels. also I put a map on lucasfiles.com called Battle over Kamino, if you need more help look at that when it can be downloaded.

super hot tip almost noone elts has figerd this out including me lol your a slick one buddy
 Zudece
06-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Android']does any1 know how to change the planet name for a space level? alderaan is pretty lame IMO =)

edit: for the loading screen i mean

yes all you do is go to file/map properties and put in the Planet Name.
so putting "Geonosis" in the Planet Name field will make the loading screen for Geonosis. i don't know what planet names work i tryed tatoonie but it didn't work so you might need to try some.
 Tokakeke
06-01-2006, 11:37 PM
mattrock616, please do not triple post, or repeat your question many times. If someone feels like helping you out, they will. If you're going to be a butt about it, you're probably not going to get much help. I also suggest reading the forum guidleines.

I'm noticing that sometimes units will not respond to any commands after I jump them in. It's happened to both me and my friend while we were playing my the space map I created.

Yes, this happens when you place units instead of letting the player create them. Specifically hero units in land maps, but space maps occasionally too.

Try making your units a team if possible.

there are still 3 thing i want to do but i can't figer out how.

1. to get reinforcements to keep comming out of the base. i'v seen some maps where they got lots to keep comming out i'v seen up to crusers come as reinforcements and they have little white flags and don't cost troop placement.

2. to list the map name in the lobby insted of "not found" i have also seen several player made maps that list.

3. to get a peview map insted of the blue defult preview.

1. Click the "Garrison Units" checkbox in the object properties.

2. It will do so if the map is downloaded to the client. As long as you have the map itself, you will see the name in the list.

3. What do you mean?

so, the editor allows you to build giant maps, but you cant actually use giant maps?

The editor seems to have problems with both passability and FOW on large maps. The former can be fixed often by painting over the "steep" passability lines of the old map or resetting passability. The latter is odd. I think the engine handles maps so there is a permanent fog of war over the non-playable areas of the map, and everything else is black. So when you expand, it keeps the old stuff, so sometimes your units will walk on black terrain or FoW terrain (not uncovering the FOW).The client can fix it by going into Cinematic Mode (space) and then popping out - this seems to reset the FoW.
 Zudece
06-02-2006, 9:31 AM
1. Click the "Garrison Units" checkbox in the object properties.

2. It will do so if the map is downloaded to the client. As long as you have the map itself, you will see the name in the list.

3. What do you mean?.

thanks man lol i never realized i was seeing the map names because i had them and i never even noticed the "Spawn Garrisons" check box! good lookin out.

and for 3. i'm talking about you know when your in the lobby and you join a game you go to the games waiting room to wait for more ppl to join theres supost to be a preview image on the left wile in the waiting room but for all the costom maps i'v seen noone can get the preview image to not be the defult blue.
 Tokakeke
06-02-2006, 2:00 PM
Meh. I think it'll pop up if you have the map, (preview's based on heightmap I believe) but if it doesn't it's probably just a limitation for the custom maps.
 Tyler_Durden
06-04-2006, 5:45 AM
I have a problem, Sometimes when I create a map, I insert the border number I want based on the size of the map. However when I go to play, the game defaults the map size to 400. I try going back into the map properties to fix it and save but then the same thing happens again when I test the map out. Is there a fix for this?
 Tyler_Durden
06-04-2006, 6:11 AM
Hmm, well after playing around with the Editor for a while, and overwriting my islands map, I found an interesting bug: If you set all the playable area to zero or the highest amount the map will go for example: 7 patches in width and height, all four playable areas set to 4360, the map editor will reset the all playable areas back down to 400 when you test it out ingame or open up the editor again after closing it. A good workaround that I found is if you want to use pretty much the whole map, set the playable area to 1 instead of zero. You will then be able to use the entire map area to build and have a lot less unused space.
 Zudece
06-04-2006, 5:18 PM
i'v noticed something in alote of maps i would like to know how to fix! it's about the astroid bases. theres a map called GOING ALL OUT!! that's been getting some play online it has 7 of the bases set on Black Sun in the middle.

the problem is that you need to kill both the Enemey bases and the all the Black Sun bases befor the Enemey kills your 2 bases if not both Reb and Imp lose and the Black Sun win witch happends almost evey good game lol.

so i'm asking if there is a way to have the Black Sun bases attack the Rebs and the Imps but not have a chance to win?
 Darth_Terros
06-05-2006, 5:19 PM
Quick one im making a map set in a city with loads of people in it now i want to make these people neutral but it seems if they are neutral they can capture the cantina and build pads and being neutral i cant kill them so i can capture these objects

So i guess what im asking is... is there a way i can have all these people around but make it so they cant capture and dont attack me?
 shadowsfm
06-06-2006, 7:31 AM
make sure there very far away from captureable buildings
 Darth_Terros
06-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Well that was very unhelpful.
 Darth Methos
06-06-2006, 3:43 PM
:waive1:

I was wondering about something. I created two new maps, but I did not use markers. They both work in EAW flawlessly. Should I use the markers anyway?
 Zudece
06-07-2006, 10:30 PM
:waive1:

I was wondering about something. I created two new maps, but I did not use markers. They both work in EAW flawlessly. Should I use the markers anyway?

well if your not useing markers then it's not working flawlessly!

you will notice that the sarting units don't work and space ships always warp in from the left you can also make the shuttles land faceing the right way for land maps.

now for starting units ppl like to use the spawn garrisons check on the bases but i find unless it's a fairly small map it will make the map lagg more than doing it the right way.
 Andycaccia
06-11-2006, 3:02 PM
Ehm...by the way...does anyone know how to put cusom made maps in place of the existing ones?? I have enlarged the size of space maps and I would like to replace the game maps with my own but i can not enable them. can you help me??
 wazmol69
06-24-2006, 7:13 AM
Sorry i dont no if these 2 questions have been asked so please dont have a go at me.
q 1. when i start a new map the background is grey how do i make it so it looks like space?
q 2. can you make a map with new units such as the ssd or the b-wings?

thank you
 fortune faded13
06-25-2006, 4:53 AM
Sorry i dont no if these 2 questions have been asked so please dont have a go at me.
q 1. when i start a new map the background is grey how do i make it so it looks like space?
q 2. can you make a map with new units such as the ssd or the b-wings?

thank you

1. in the textures tab its called Sky Dome 2 or something like that...

2. you have to put the mod with the SSD/B-Wing into the GameData/Data folder. to view what they look like in game. i use it for scaling and such...
 wazmol69
06-25-2006, 2:42 PM
thanks alot fortune faded13 your a real lifesaver
 StarCrash
06-28-2006, 6:23 PM
- moved because it was a mod q, not a map editor q -
 RevanSithLord
06-28-2006, 7:42 PM
Ok. Well, I have a question as well for map editors, my friends keep telling me the same thing.

On new models/units, how can I code them to be available in the map editor without actually having to move a mod into my data folder or something like that? Cause I'm planning on making this huge battle for personal enjoyment and, well if you know what I mean?

Hope I get a good response out of this lol. It's been a long day and I'm just not thinking straight. Friends just told me - you have to code them into the map editor first -. And I was all joggled up. Can a professional or someone who can do this help please. Not to sound like a n00b or anything....well even though I consider myself one anyway Lmao. Even though I've also been in this forums for quite a while now. Been on Lucas Forums since last year, but ever since this came out I've been...well...sort of....hooked. :P
 wazmol69
07-01-2006, 12:22 PM
-Message Deleted-

-Reason: Problem solved now-

-Helper: Mike.NL-
 Sithman1138
11-30-2006, 7:45 AM
I have EAW installed on a differnt drive other than c:. The map editor installation can't find EAW. Any help?
 darthriddick
01-12-2007, 4:56 PM
not sure if this has already been asked or what, but is there anyway to create a single player GC game using map editor?
 ImpElite
01-12-2007, 7:55 PM
no, unfortunately, I'm pretty sure you have to edit one via XML to "make" your own GC map. And before you ask, no, I don't know how to do it.
 evilbobthebob
02-04-2007, 9:56 AM
not sure if this has already been asked or what, but is there anyway to create a single player GC game using map editor?

Nope, you can't make a GC map with the map editor. You need to edit the Galactic conquest XML file for that.

A question from me: how do you use that track system for the water? is it LUA, XML or in the map editor? (I'm guessing LUA, but I would like to know soon so I can make good maps with good water/lava)
 evilbobthebob
02-04-2007, 10:19 AM
I have EAW installed on a differnt drive other than c:. The map editor installation can't find EAW. Any help?

Well, cos EAW defaults to C:, you need to change the map editor installer position. It probably needs to go in the drive you've installed EAW in. If that doesn't work, try telling the map editor installer where EAW is. (I think it asks; I can't remember :( )

Someone replying to my question would be nice.
 xhh2a
02-05-2007, 6:17 PM
i remember making multiplayer maps on Eaw with units (space) that start and are free (say a mon cal), but on FOc map editor, Whenever i set unit's faction to rebel or empire, the game doesn't load it.it loads everything else but the unit that was either rebel or empire or consortium..does it have to do with the teams, and is it possible to go around? I am resorting to make them hostile, hutts, etc. since those do show up, but I want the units controllable by humans(the units are far away from the stations in the middle so no balance issue there), also is it possible to have predefined team start positions on FOc (as in like Eaw where emps always started somewhere, and rebs somewhere, and cons)

also I remember I managed to do this on Eaw Map editor (I probably forgot)
but if you set a units health to 0 (say you want the game to start with a exploding ISD in front of your face, to give the impression the battle has been raging for a long time), the unit doesn't when the game starts, in fact it is invincible and won't die, and also it's hardpoints show 0% but still fire, do we have to set the health to NEGATIVE something for it to auto destruct upon map load or is that feature gone (I don't like the fact that the death prop doesn't disappear)
 Windu Gangster
02-07-2007, 1:16 AM
:blast5: um ima idiot lol but i downloaded editor but when i click on it, it wont work :blast5: soo please help asap
 Morthon Gyzaall
02-07-2007, 11:30 AM
How do you create bridges and such?? Like the kamino platforms.
 evilbobthebob
02-10-2007, 6:45 AM
How do you create bridges and such?? Like the kamino platforms.

In the Textures section, you click on a blank texture (a black one) and press a little tick in the texture settings section called 'Hole' This makes the texture invisible, so it looks like there is a bridge.
 Morthon Gyzaall
02-13-2007, 1:41 PM
Yeah, I noticed...I extracted the kessel map(1st story mission) and looked through...THEY ARE GOOD! very good...
 CLONECOMMANDER501
05-06-2007, 11:04 PM
I may be a veteran, but how do I make rivers like in naboo skirmish?
 Morthon Gyzaall
05-07-2007, 7:26 PM
How do waterfalls work?
 CLONECOMMANDER501
05-07-2007, 8:00 PM
The Water falls in FOC are props.
 Holy_Mynock!!
05-29-2007, 3:32 AM
I recently downloaded the map editor, and have semi-successfully created a relatively simple skirmish map...i have a couple of problems...i cannot set up the map so that i can play as the Consortium...when i try, the game tells me that there must be at least one player per side...i can play the game if i set it up so that its simply Empire vs. Rebellion, but i rather enjoy playing as the Consortium.

My other problem is that i cannot see any indication of the enemies on the mini map...there structures and units are actually there, i just see no representation of them on the mini map at all...are there some sort of markers or something i have to place on the structures, or what...?

I set my map up as a simple 2 player, with both the player0 and player1 position and spawn markers at each camp...what am i doing wrong, or simply not doing?
 CLONECOMMANDER501
06-09-2007, 9:27 PM
Hmmmm, looks like your screwed.
 Zzapper
08-21-2007, 7:34 PM
Where are the waterfalls in the original?
I can't seem to find them.
 Dirk Pitt
08-22-2007, 8:28 PM
What are Deathclones?
How do I have it so that when I destroy all units I win?
In space and land when i add build pads, mines, bunkers, reinforcement points, and anything else they dont appear, so my question is what exactlly do I use for these things?
also in space I cant seem to make Space stations appear in the start?
So any help would be appreciated.
 Zzapper
08-22-2007, 10:39 PM
The destroy all enemy option is on the screen before you enter battle in game, in a drop down menu.
 Zzapper
08-23-2007, 8:09 PM
The death clones are the unit actually DIEING, just different ways.
 Oldschool
09-01-2007, 9:58 PM
Holy_Mynock!!!, are you sure that fow isn't currently enabled? if not i don't know why they aren't. try groundbuildablesskirmish.xml and specialstructures.xml and make sure those structures your talking about have the <Is_Visible_On_Radar>Yes<\Is_Visible_On_Radar> tag in the text.
 Oldschool
09-01-2007, 10:03 PM
windu ganster, try downloading it again and make sure eaw is installed. if that doesn't work then make sure have the patch(s) for the game extracted. hope this helps..
 Oldschool
09-01-2007, 10:06 PM
the_eradicator, in order to create a tutorial you'll need to create lua files then with them their corresponding campaigns to be able to play them. hope this helps...
 Oldschool
09-01-2007, 10:21 PM
sometimes like when you make duplicate heroes or something an exception occurs. this is because the code got buggy. it happens sometimes ... as for animation, tracks, and decal buttons probably won't ever be enabled. probably because petroglyph fears we could make a better campaign then they ever could, use their tools to create somthin' they don't want us to, or it's just some "JOKE" petroglyph likes to play on us from time to time...
 Oldschool
09-01-2007, 10:56 PM
firstly, web rider, try recreating the map first. then do not test in game. instead start the game regularly. then look at your map in the game. secondly, zeduce, you will have to change the AI for that. in the AI folder in Source.[if you do put it with your mod] thirdly, Darth_Terros, look for that type(s) of indigneous unit(s) in IndigneousUnits.xml then change their affaliation to Neutral. that should work fine. fourthly, andycaccia, you can replace them by making a folder titled Maps then place it in a folder called Data. then place this in a folder to a name you specify. then make a batch file[just copy the one they give you in the mapeditor package. then edit to say the tiltle of your folder with your folder's specified name.[make sure it has the launcher name of the game. eaw[which is eaw] or foc[which is foc]. hope this helps everyone...
 justme2
03-09-2008, 9:15 AM
Hi :) can anyone tell me how I use units from a mod in the map editor??I would really appriaciate it if someone helped me. thx :)
Page: 3 of 4