Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Map Editor Tips, hints, questions here

Page: 1 of 4
 DarthMaulUK
05-16-2006, 5:38 AM
Please post any question you have in this thread.

Keep your question in a constructive manner so its easier to get a response from those who do know what they are doing.

DMUK
 Kallath
05-16-2006, 10:17 AM
1. Why is the Deathstar in all the space maps for nonskirmish? Is it some sort of placeholder for when the Deathstar is at those planets? Similar question for all land structures (turbolasers, for example).

2. Why isn't 'waterfall' an object? I see waterfall topspray in 'temperate,' but nothing else.
 The_Eradicator
05-16-2006, 11:59 AM
Can anyone create a tutorial? i just dont get anything... AOE3 map editor is way better
 Darth_Torpid-PG
05-16-2006, 2:12 PM
1. Why is the Deathstar in all the space maps for nonskirmish? Is it some sort of placeholder for when the Deathstar is at those planets? Similar question for all land structures (turbolasers, for example).

2. Why isn't 'waterfall' an object? I see waterfall topspray in 'temperate,' but nothing else.

1. It's a marker for where the Death Star appears in a tactical game if it is in orbit. Every sandbox/galactic conquest space map needs this marker.

2. Waterfalls are made using the track/road system. The object is an emitter to simulate the spray.
 Darth_Torpid-PG
05-16-2006, 2:14 PM
Can anyone create a tutorial? i just dont get anything... AOE3 map editor is way better

Unlike AOE3, this editor is only for map creation. All scripting is done in XML and LUA. The story/tutorial document included in the mod tools can show give you some ideas on story/tutorial scripting.
 swphreak
05-16-2006, 3:10 PM
I'm with Eradicator. I just want to make space maps. Don't care for any of this scripting stuff. The GB/CC Map Editor (Scenario Editor) was far more simpler.
 patrickjak
05-16-2006, 3:59 PM
its not that hard to create a skirmash space map. just be sure to start a new one by going to file/new space, it seems to load just the things you need for a space map that way.
 swphreak
05-16-2006, 4:30 PM
its not that hard to create a skirmash space map. just be sure to start a new one by going to file/new space, it seems to load just the things you need for a space map that way.

I get that far, but notihng happens. I can't even do anything when I do New land. I was really hoping for a simple Map Editor, not some mumbo jumbo complicated program that can do everything but make simple maps :/
 popcorn2008
05-16-2006, 4:57 PM
Me personally, I like it. Reminds me a lot of the Generals map editor so far.

But, quick question for anyone, in an urban enviorment is there an easy way to make ramps? In other words a ramp to get from a high level to a low level? One tool that seems to be missing...
 yodasoda2187
05-16-2006, 5:10 PM
I get that far, but notihng happens. I can't even do anything when I do New land. I was really hoping for a simple Map Editor, not some mumbo jumbo complicated program that can do everything but make simple maps :/

Yeah, I agree. I have no idea what I'm doing or even how to get started.
 wedge2211
05-16-2006, 5:46 PM
I can't get theplayable map bounds for a space skirmish map to be any larger than (0, 0) to (5000, 5000), even when I increase the space width and space height values extremely. The playable space I'm left with seems really cramped from the moment I put the first asteroid resource pad in it...any way to get the map size to be bigger?
 swphreak
05-16-2006, 6:12 PM
Upon further button mashing, I think I figured some of it out. When I use the following settings: Map Type-Space; Faction Owner-Branched; Player Mode-Multiplayer; Players-6; Map Levels-6; Space Width and Height-10000; Shift Map Horz/Vert-0; Left, Right, Top, Bottom-400.00.

What settings should I be using?

And by randomly pushing the button to the left of the ruler button, I figured out that's how you place objects, and the pencil button cna be used to move the object.

Stay tuned to see if it actually works!

Question: Is the background of a new space map supposed to be blue? Or will it go away in the game?
 Darth_Torpid-PG
05-16-2006, 6:19 PM
Me personally, I like it. Reminds me a lot of the Generals map editor so far.

But, quick question for anyone, in an urban enviorment is there an easy way to make ramps? In other words a ramp to get from a high level to a low level? One tool that seems to be missing...

Most of the guys that did urban maps here imported height maps into the editor and then edited them. I think they used Visio to create the height maps to get simple circle and square shapes. I didn't actually make any of the urban maps, so I'm not sure how they got the nice neat ramps :) For natural settings, however, you can create steps using the leveling brush, then use the smoothing tool (center button) to smooth it into something more organic.
 zac naloen
05-16-2006, 6:21 PM
Question: Is the background of a new space map supposed to be blue? Or will it go away in the game?

At the top of bar theres button called nature, in there is a list of all the objects in the game. In there you can find all the different backdrops.

*edit, got the tab name wrong*
 Darth_Torpid-PG
05-16-2006, 6:28 PM
SHIFT key to place objects on the map. Space backdrops and land skyboxes are placed in the NATURE tab of the editor - there are two drop-boxes to set the two layers.
 patrickjak
05-16-2006, 6:34 PM
ok...start a new space map and in the map context information box do this
map type=space
faction owner=rebel or whatever i guess
player mode=multiplayer
number players=2
map levels=5
map name=whatever you wish

then go down to the space dimensions and change the space width to say 20000 just becouse we want some space..lol it will automatically change the height too.

hit OK.

now you got a big emty box
in the left pane clik on SPACEPROP and pick a backdrop like alderaan, its the first one.
with it highlighted move your curser over the big emptybox on the right and hit shift key and then leftclik mousebutton to drop. if you got a mousewheel you can zoom in and out with it now to see the borders or your map with alderaan in it.
hold the right mousebutton to scroll around your map.

the rest of everything else is pretty much like that for a space map.

i hope i dont get in trouble for a big post but lets go ahead and make it playable.

in left pane scroll down to starbase and pick the skirmash empire and rebel bases and put them in the map the same way you did alderaan.
take note that things will fade in and out on the map.

make sure to put in some spacebuildable mineral_extractor_pads around your map too

now goto marker in the left pane and find player_0_spawn_point_marker and place it next to the rebel base. in the left pane towards the bottom is "player owner", make it rebel. now do the same with the empire but use the player_1_spawn_point_marker.

ok you just made your first map now just fiddle around and add whatever you want like some astroid fields and whatnot.

good luck.
 Wildcat'
05-16-2006, 8:05 PM
I am using 3DS Max 6 ( I haven't upgraded likea lot of others...possibly a lucky move since these tools only work with 6) and there are no animation tools are there? The exporter is meant for the sole purpose of having static objects for use in maps?

edit: This is a question on the model exporter but is also related to map objects (just to be clear)

never mind. Seems there are animation tools.
 Kallath
05-16-2006, 8:25 PM
DarthMaulIUK

Thanks for answering my quesitons. I bolded because I'm not sure you'd see this in all the clutter.

I read somewhere that the 'tracking' or whatever isn't something that can be manipulated in the current version of the editor (obviously not, since you can't click it). Will this feature ever be included?

Also, another question: why can't the space map textures be changed? The 'texture' menu isn't accessible when you make a space map, so I can't put the image of space in the background. Is this a bug or is there another way to import a texture?

Thanks!
 Orao
05-16-2006, 8:58 PM
For space texure there is no painting. You have to go to environnement tab and then you play with skydomes. If you want to add the planet in the background go to spaceprops and look for planet object you want to add.
 Kallath
05-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Thanks. Yeah, I got the objects down well enough.
 darthsabatino
05-17-2006, 1:43 AM
now goto marker in the left pane and find player_0_spawn_point_marker and place it next to the rebel base. in the left pane towards the bottom is "player owner", make it rebel. now do the same with the empire but use the player_1_spawn_point_marker.

What if you are doing a 8 player map, how would you do the spawn point markers?
 patrickjak
05-17-2006, 3:52 AM
one for each player.2player=2spawnpoints , 6 you would use 6 spawnpoints. i only see 7 total spawnpoints in my editor . theres some info in the Map Editor Walkthrough document. that came with the map editor but it use's a land map as an example.
 fortune faded13
05-17-2006, 4:55 AM
everytime i load a land map i made every structure explodes...
and yes i did the "Starting Object" thing. i cant find out why.
please help?
 swphreak
05-17-2006, 8:31 AM
Player_0 is player 1. I managed to successfully make a space map. It was friggin huge, but worked.

Do you have to use both the player position and spawn things? I did and it worked fine.
 darth james
05-17-2006, 2:34 PM
You need to use the Player_X_Spawn_Point_Marker and the Player_X_Position_Marker once per side (you need at least 4 total per side) and make each one Empire or Rebel(This would mean you need a tolal of 32 markers in a 8 player game!). If you only put Player_0_Spawn_Point_Marker and Player_0_Position_Marker for the Rebels with Player_1_Spawn_Point_Marker and Player_1_Position_Marker for the Empire, then player 1 must be rebel and player 2 must be empire.
 patrickjak
05-17-2006, 6:05 PM
for space skirmash maps im just using the spawnpoints markers. i havent used the positionmarkers at all. seems to work just fine.
 popcorn2008
05-17-2006, 6:41 PM
everytime i load a land map i made every structure explodes...
and yes i did the "Starting Object" thing. i cant find out why.
please help?
Are you talking about when you load it in the game or editor? It is normal behavior for this to happen in the editor, though it shouldnt do that in the game.
 darth james
05-17-2006, 6:48 PM
for space skirmash maps im just using the spawnpoints markers. i havent used the positionmarkers at all. seems to work just fine.
I think the positionmarkers are for the camera start position but it should work fine without it. I put it in because the editor tutorial said it should be in a map
 Slocket
05-17-2006, 6:48 PM
I loaded a test map back into the editor and the built bases exploded. The other build pads version are for capture, and I think are blank for use in GC mode where you buy your buildings and then they show up on the planet in those designated spots.

Skirmish mode maps are easier to make. There are different types of the same building, depending upon what they are used for Skirmish, Capturable freebee, Galactic Planet Mode, Skirmish Mode where you must build up your base first. Even Neutral.
 darthsabatino
05-17-2006, 7:20 PM
You need to use the Player_X_Spawn_Point_Marker and the Player_X_Position_Marker once per side (you need at least 4 total per side) and make each one Empire or Rebel(This would mean you need a tolal of 32 markers in a 8 player game!). If you only put Player_0_Spawn_Point_Marker and Player_0_Position_Marker for the Rebels with Player_1_Spawn_Point_Marker and Player_1_Position_Marker for the Empire, then player 1 must be rebel and player 2 must be empire.

Darth James,

Do I have to use Marker and Spawn 0 for Empire, than 1 for Rebel, 2 for Empire, 3 for Rebel and so on, or can I do 0,1,2,3 for Empire and 4,5,6,7 for Rebel?

Thanks for your help.
 darth james
05-17-2006, 7:46 PM
Darth James,

Do I have to use Marker and Spawn 0 for Empire, than 1 for Rebel, 2 for Empire, 3 for Rebel and so on, or can I do 0,1,2,3 for Empire and 4,5,6,7 for Rebel?

no, you have to use Marker and Spawn 0 for Empire AND REBEL, then Marker and Spawn 1 for Empire AND REBEL. that way any player can be Empire or Rebel. so in an 8 player game you would put 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 for Empire and 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 for the rebels. also I put a map on lucasfiles.com called Battle over Kamino, if you need more help look at that when it can be downloaded.
 Master Nikolaos
05-17-2006, 8:28 PM
Anyone understand the whole AI zoning concept for ground maps?
 darth james
05-17-2006, 8:52 PM
also on ground battles you have to paint passabilty data on your map by useing the passabity tool in the hight tab. the ai zones are to help the ai ,i think.
 Sithman1138
05-17-2006, 9:48 PM
I got a exception error when trying to copy something and past it.
 Tokakeke
05-17-2006, 10:53 PM
no, you have to use Marker and Spawn 0 for Empire AND REBEL, then Marker and Spawn 1 for Empire AND REBEL. that way any player can be Empire or Rebel. so in an 8 player game you would put 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 for Empire and 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 for the rebels. also I put a map on lucasfiles.com called Battle over Kamino, if you need more help look at that when it can be downloaded.

I do it the other way and I'm fine.
 Master Nikolaos
05-18-2006, 12:53 AM
There's something I'm curious about, why do there have to be so many AI zones in the maps, couldn't it just be some for passable terrain and other's for impassable?
 Kallath
05-18-2006, 1:10 AM
New question:

Why is it that when I try to 'test map' it says it's unable to initialize the game?
 wedge2211
05-18-2006, 1:24 AM
There's something I'm curious about, why do there have to be so many AI zones in the maps, couldn't it just be some for passable terrain and other's for impassable?
Because hover units and speeders can cross some otherwise impassable terrain; you need to differentiate them so that 2M's and T4-B's can zip across water and so that airspeeders can fly over the high mountains.

Can anyone address my earlier question about map size?
 shadowsfm
05-18-2006, 5:36 AM
how do i tectrure my mountains and beaches
 noodle6
05-18-2006, 5:55 AM
g'day,

i installed the map editor today and when i tried to start it i get an error message saying
"An exception has occured. See _logfile.txt and _except.txt for details"

no clue what to do, tried installing it in dozens of different places and repaired, reinstalled and re downloaded from more than one source and get the same result

any help you can offer would be helpful,

cheers,
 quinlan2703
05-18-2006, 12:27 PM
I have a problem. I have saved my custom maps in the right directory but can't play them in the game.

NOTE: the latest patch(1.04) is already installed!
 darth james
05-18-2006, 12:52 PM
I have a problem. I have saved my custom maps in the right directory but can't play them in the game.

NOTE: the latest patch(1.04) is already installed!
what directory is that? it should be C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\Star Wars Empire at War\GameData\Data\CustomMaps.
 quinlan2703
05-18-2006, 1:07 PM
yes that's the directory but it doesn't work!
 Kallath
05-18-2006, 1:10 PM
Originally it was working for me when I did that, but now it isn't. My custom maps don't appear in game anymore.
 quinlan2703
05-18-2006, 1:16 PM
Same to me. If i push the custom button in the menu, there are no maps.
 darth james
05-18-2006, 2:08 PM
yes that's the directory but it doesn't work!
did you see it before?
is the correct map type selected in EAW?
in the map properties, under map type is multiplayer selected?
 Slocket
05-18-2006, 2:09 PM
The AI Zones are as he said, to direct the AI to not fly over high mountains and walk under water.

The Passible Zones are mainly for you the Human payer from traversing Mountains and Walking under water for example.

Ther are other pathing option to help the AI 'know' the routes to your main bases. Or you can just rely on the AI default scripts -which are bit dense to find you.

And the retreat/defensive marker is good to tell the AI where to run to and hide if getting a beating, such as go hide under a well defened bast shield. They are areas on the map where you would go.
 quinlan2703
05-18-2006, 2:19 PM
I've never see it before. The correct map type is selected in EAW but I've made singelplayer maps.
 darth james
05-18-2006, 2:23 PM
I've never see it before. The correct map type is selected in EAW but I've made singelplayer maps.
do you mean all the maps you made are singelplayer maps? or you have both in the folder?
 quinlan2703
05-18-2006, 2:23 PM
All the maps i made were singelplayer maps!
Page: 1 of 4