Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

C: drive issue

Page: 1 of 1
 hangfire
04-17-2006, 3:25 PM
i play on a laptop and have recently had to reformat and start from scratch.......

previously things ran fine, but now my hard drive has been labelled as drive F: by the guy that sorted it.....

unfortunately this means empire at war no longer runs as it needs to have access to drive C: to write 50 megs worth of stuff even if it is not installed on that drive......

i hae got windows XP and have installed patch 1.3 for eaw

is there any way around this C: drive issue?????

as things stand i cannot run the game at all as the system crashes spectacularly whenever i try to boot the game up
 DarthMaulUK
04-17-2006, 4:23 PM
If everything was re-formatted, that means you will need to re-install the very latest drivers for graphic card and direct x9c (on the cd) Also - re-install EaW

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=155333) << guide

DMUK
 hangfire
04-17-2006, 6:11 PM
i am not sure what that reply was directed at????

i have installed updated drivers etc and reinstalled eaw from scratch

but eaw states in the readme file that it must have 50mb of access to C: even if it is not installed on that drive.....

i need to find a way of redirecting the temp files or whatever it is writing there to drive f:

????????
 gswift
04-17-2006, 6:45 PM
Can you try to partition part of your F: drive and label it as C:? If you know how to do that, it should solve your problem. I'm not using an XP machine right now because I'm at work. I'll look at my XP machine when I get home, and I'll post instructions if I can figure it out. I've never tried to do that with XP, so I'm not sure of the details.

Edit: I did a quick google, and this is what I came up with from the Microsoft web site. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000)

There's a section about 1/4 of the way down the page titled "How to create a new partition or a new logical drive", which tells you exactly how to add a partition or logical drive. And if it doesn't work, there's another section below that which tells you how to delete them. Good luck.
 hangfire
04-18-2006, 7:23 AM
this only works if i reformat the hard disk again......

trying to avoid that as i had to get a guy in to sort out the drivers when i formatted it was a nightmare

is there no way of redirecting whatever needs to be written on C: to a different drive?????

i even tried putting a removable drive in as C: and booting eaw but it hung up in exactly the same way

:(
 gswift
04-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Okay, then rename the drive as c: in stead of f:?
 hangfire
04-18-2006, 6:09 PM
i can rename every other drive except that one as it is my boot drive.....
 DarthMaulUK
04-19-2006, 7:00 AM
You will have to uninstall the game then re-install it on the new 'F' drive. Thats the only way forward. if you have saved games, copy them, place them onto your desktop then paste them into your saved folder once you have re-installed.

DMUK
 hangfire
04-19-2006, 6:16 PM
it is has been installed/uninstalled and reinstalled afresh with every combination i can think of

i cannot rename the only hard drive i have on my laptop to be C: without formatting it

which would involve losing my drivers

i had to pay a guy to fix them last time i formatted, but the twit named my HD as F: instead of C:

is there no way to get this file to be written to a different drive????

i assume this is the problem: (taken from the troubleshooting guide)

Available Hard Drive Space on Drive C
Installation requires hard drive space on your C drive even when you are installing to a different hard drive. This is due to a specification in InstallShield, which requires uninstall information to be stored on the C drive. Because of this, you may see an error during installation stating that you do not have enough free space to install the game when there is ample room available in the install directory. If this occurs, you will need to free at least 50 MB on the C drive prior to installation

i tried to insert a pen drive and label it C: but t was no use......
 DarthMaulUK
04-19-2006, 6:23 PM
Any chance you can get this guy to change it back? Or, maybe - long shot - google it and see if it comes up with a useful guide to revert it back. But really, this guy should do it for you.

I really cant think of anything else

DMUK
Page: 1 of 1