Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

System needs work

Page: 1 of 1
 popcorn2008
03-27-2006, 7:22 PM
Well... I just finished playing some quick matches on space and I have to say the system really needs a huge amount of work on how it matches people.

Guess what?

I played the #2 ranked person two times in a row. Lost both times.

Then, this is where it gets good, I played the #1 ranked person FOUR times in a rown and failed all times again! And now I just got off as I have lost all hope in myself :D. But it was sad! Everytime I started a new match it was with the same person! The #1 ranked player... lol And im like rank 300 something. It's a real shame... and annoyance.

Anyone share my frustrations?
 DarthMaulUK
04-22-2006, 3:20 AM
To be honest, im just sick of it. It must be the worst ranking system I have EVER played. No sense of community at all, players are allowed to create dozens of accounts, droppers, disconnectors - who do not report their games - the utter randomness (well, when you play the same person on the same map and are the same side 3 times in a row, is it random?) of the whole experience is, I believe, denting the community and discouraging players from signing up. It does need urgent addressing if the community is to survive.

Lets face it, if you try and play a custom game, the moment you win a battle of some importance, they drop! The biggest flaw in this jem of a game I believe.

DMUK
 SymbuCanon
04-24-2006, 5:46 AM
I agree about the poor matching of the ranking system. People should be matched with players in relavtively the same skill set. Most of the players on the ladder have their stats inflated by playing matches with complete noobs.

I myself have found at least 2 out of 10 matches I play are with people playing the game for the first time and Im ranked in the top 10 of the Lank Skirmish ladder.

People are also gaining ladder rank by the sheer volume of matches that they play with out being able to beat players above them. We really have no idea who they best players are in the game, because the ladder does not relect the best in the game, but those who have time to play most games.
 popcorn2008
04-29-2006, 9:51 PM
It's really sad, now that our front page poll has gone on for a while, 50% of everyone who voted say they don't play online. 21% think the system is terrible as well.

That's about 71% of all people who either dont play/or barely play due to a terrible system (we can assume they dont play as much). Leaving 29% who actually enjoy or can live with playing online.

That should show just how bad the system is... it is just horrible.
 DarthMaulUK
05-01-2006, 7:07 AM
I've removed all the links to gamespy arcade from the site. I really dont want empireatwar.net supporting a system that is so open to exploiting and cheaters who go unpunished. As normal, Gamespy spoil yet another online game.

DMUK
 The Source
05-13-2006, 10:13 AM
To be honest, im just sick of it. It must be the worst ranking system I have EVER played. No sense of community at all, players are allowed to create dozens of accounts, droppers, disconnectors - who do not report their games - the utter randomness (well, when you play the same person on the same map and are the same side 3 times in a row, is it random?) of the whole experience is, I believe, denting the community and discouraging players from signing up. It does need urgent addressing if the community is to survive.

Lets face it, if you try and play a custom game, the moment you win a battle of some importance, they drop! The biggest flaw in this jem of a game I believe.

DMUK
LucasForums is a well balanced place to visit. Sometimes there are rules that are too strict, and other times rules can be broken. If someone was to create too many rules, they would loose their visitors. With the right balance between rules and common sense, you have a community that flows well.

Gamespy's community is one of flexibility, which goes too far right and too far left. Someday they will find their center, but one cannot dismiss how long they have been in the MultiPlayer business. Maybe it is time to move forward and onto better things.
 DarthMaulUK
05-14-2006, 3:24 AM
But its like SOE with their online business. Everyone thought they were the best, when they clearly were not - then along came a little game called World of Warcraft and slapped SOE where it hurts.

I only hope the same thing happens to Gamespy. I know they are not to blame for some of the design elements for the online part of the game but the low numbers speak for themselves - especially comparing to say Dawn of War where 300+ still play online.

Personally, I would like to see the removal of the different servers to swell numbers and get more people online playing it.

DMUK
Page: 1 of 1