Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Crimson Skies

Page: 1 of 1
 ME_Jeldren
12-18-2000, 11:27 AM
Someone playing Crimson Skies here? I am playing it online
sometimes because most people what to recuit you instead of
playing with you in the XvT/XWA rooms. It is a pretty nice
action flightsim which runs much better than XvT/XWA online.
The gameplay reminds me a bit of starlancer exept that the AI
is a bit smarter and wingmen are a bit more usefull. The main
problem is that the game let's you design your own craft
which are much more powerfull than stock planes flown by
AI opponents. This is also a problem in multi games. A pilot
who flies a well designed craft which fits his playing style
has a serious advantage over another pilot who hasn't got a
good custom plane.
 Taarkin
12-18-2000, 2:36 PM
I think that X-Wing author Michael A. Stackpole has something to do with that game.

------------------
Was I supposed to eat the heads too? 'Cause I took nooo prisioners!

Once again, evil is defeated through the use of decorative agricultural technology!

Official forum Psychic
 Zargon
12-18-2000, 2:41 PM
Its a sweet game, I wish I had 50 bucks so I could play it
 Rogue Nine
12-18-2000, 3:47 PM
You need a really high-end compy to play that thing. Little 350 Pentium IIs are a tad to slow to keep up... http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/frown.gif)
 Zargon
12-18-2000, 4:03 PM
my 600 does just dandy
 Rogue Nine
12-18-2000, 4:06 PM
Ah hayte yew...
 Zargon
12-18-2000, 4:14 PM
screw you then!
 Zargon
03-04-2002, 5:10 PM
anyone got a copy of this or can point me to hwerwe I could get it for cheap?
 Nukekitty
03-04-2002, 5:20 PM
One of the creatures of crimson skies is Jordan Weisman, he is the ceo of WizKids LLC, who now owns mechwarrior:dark ages, mageknight, and heroclicks.

In teh next year or so, crimson skies is going to be rereleased, so keep an eye out for it.
 Zargon
03-04-2002, 5:29 PM
rereleased as what? better graphics or more missions or what?

oh yeah, you spelled creators wrong ;)
 Zargon
03-04-2002, 5:30 PM
Hi Kitty, you've been a bit mia lately havent ya?
 JR2000Z
03-04-2002, 6:13 PM
Crimson Skies....... yeah,well, I got the demo.
 Admiral
03-04-2002, 7:27 PM
Originally posted by Rogue Nine
You need a really high-end compy to play that thing. Little 350 Pentium IIs are a tad to slow to keep up...

I think my PIV 1.6 would keep up a little better.
 Nute Gunray
03-04-2002, 8:22 PM
Originally posted by ME_Jeldren
A pilot [in a] well designed craft which fits his playing style
has a serious advantage.

How unrealistic :rolleyes:
Good thing in WWII the Corsair and the Zero were the same plane and the Americans just had the better pilots, not a significant technological advantage embodied in the superior aircraft.
 Rogue Nine
03-04-2002, 9:06 PM
Originally posted by Admiral

You suck.
 Nukekitty
03-04-2002, 9:21 PM
lol i guess i did. hehe i am sure Jordan doesnt like being called a creature.....

Crimson skies is actually originaly a table top game. its pretty fun to play with a huge city and lots of planes.

all i know currently is that is going to be redone. i know that the table top version is bing revamped and i think maybe the computer version knowing jordan and his cronies... i know the table top version will become clicked based. i am hopig to get the opportunity to be part of the alpha playtest for that game.

yeah, i have been busy doing things, though i do occasionaly look into here. life is getting pretty crazy on this end. I am now part of the cgc (chicagoland gamers conclave) and have been put incharge of collectable minis for their convention. which translates into lots of time and stuff. and of course trying to cultivate a relationship along with it is time consuming...
 Taarkin
03-05-2002, 12:27 AM
Tabletop? How the heck do you make a flight simulator turn-based?!
 Zargon
03-05-2002, 9:14 AM
yeah so anyways............

Sounds like you are hellafied busy, I know how that goes, I still forget to stop by here for a few days every once in a while myself
 Nukekitty
03-05-2002, 12:25 PM
crimson skies started as a table top game. now i have never seen the video flight simulator, so you guys have me there. the crimson skies that i know has painted minis, and awesome stuff along with it. i keep forgetting we dont have very many miniture players here, that this is a pc forum.
 edlib
03-05-2002, 2:09 PM
Used to,.. back in junior high. It's been a LOOOOOONG while since I've done it, in other words.
I never played any type of flight sims, but I remember them being around. Played a couple of space battle games, but mostly historical battle recreations or D&D fantasy type of combat senarios.
I never got that into it though, not nearly as much as some people I knew (the guys with the sand-tables in the basement and the scale replicas of every major division to ever fight a battle.) Too many rules to remember, too many charts to carry around, too much equipment in the form of lead minatures, and too slow.

Plus, it doesn't help that I'm a lousy strategist. When you always lose there isn't much incentive to stick with it.
 Deac
03-05-2002, 2:09 PM
I like Crimson Skies, it had that old cinema feel too it as I stole starlets, dealt with nefarious traps and had a battle over Broadway. It was a months worth of fun that destroyed my Logitech force feedback joystick. That and the replacement. I had to get a Microsoft one.
 Taarkin
03-05-2002, 7:45 PM
Is the only difference between miniature and strategy board games the fact that in minatures you have to buy and paint hoards of exorbirantly-priced little metal figurines?
 edlib
03-05-2002, 9:04 PM
For the most part. The overall physical scale tends to be a lot bigger, and the some of really hardcore players build scale-replicas of the actual battle terrain on the aforementioned "sand-tables" that can take up entire basements. You really need a lot of real-estate to do it right... it's really kind of lame on a dining-room table.
Then there's the dozens of rulebooks, suppliments, and battle charts that are needed, depending on the type of game campaign... sword and sorcery type games require a lot more of all those things than a simple re-enactment of a pre-artillery historical battle,.. although it gets more complex as you add more modern combat technology.
 BasiliskJC
03-05-2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Admiral

WoW!! Mine is only a lame 800. But I guess you paid for yours.
 Nute Gunray
03-05-2002, 11:28 PM
I once played some WWII game thing like that. I was the Germans. Every time I lost a unit, I would claim it wasn't destroyed because "The Fuhrer commands the unit to survive." After a while, and endless yellings of "the Fuhrer commands it!" i got my enemy to surrender.
 BasiliskJC
03-05-2002, 11:34 PM
Anyone here play Commandos? It's a challenging strategy game of WWII.
 Nukekitty
03-06-2002, 9:07 AM
Minitures dont have to be expensive. There are very good games out there where you dont have to build and paint the, and teh rule book is only about 14 pages. I hate the ones where you have to spend a fortune on the game.
 Deac
03-06-2002, 1:58 PM
Yeah... I played the demo of Commandos. It was hard and fun, but I prefer Operation Flashpoint. That's the best (and hardest) military game I've ever played. I can get by some of the campaign, but so far the only single missions I can do are the Helicopter ones.
 Thrawn
03-09-2002, 7:45 PM
Crimson skies is a great game, I found it at a local mall for twenty bucks.

Nute, the Corsair and the Zero were not the same plane at all. They were two very distinct aircraft, with two very distinct methods of flight.
 Nute Gunray
03-09-2002, 7:58 PM
um, i know. I was being heavily sarcastic. Hence, the "how unrealistic" comment pointed at the "different plane!=advantage. How wrong!"
 Zargon
03-11-2002, 5:24 PM
yeah so anyways, uh.....wanna send me a copy, i don't have any extra $$ for games at the moment :D
Page: 1 of 1