Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Can I Flip-Flop Between Patched And Patchless?

Page: 1 of 1
 Flowing Force
03-14-2006, 11:38 PM
I'd like to have a patchless BF2 as well as a BF2 + patch installed, so I can flip between them and play whatever one I want to at any given time.

I'm looking for the easiest way to do this.

Should I "copy" my patchless BF2 game, so that I have two of them-- one left as is, the other to have the patch? Should I make a "backup" of my game? Is there even a difference between "copying" and "backing up"? How do I make a backup?

Any help at this would be great. Thanks.
 biny
03-16-2006, 4:34 PM
You could install the game in twice in different locations, but that would take up a lot of space. I can't help with copying and backing up because I don't know either.

Why do you want to be able to play it "patchless".
 zerted
03-16-2006, 8:16 PM
You can try a program which tracks changes during installation ( like Total Uninstall ). Run it when you install the patch. When you want to play v1 of SWBF2, use Total Uninstall to undo the changes the patch made. When you want to play v1.1 again, reinstall the patch. I think this is the safest way for your system.
 Flowing Force
03-17-2006, 12:25 AM
Biny-- Thanks for the tip... I was figuring that there may have been an easier way of duplicating it since the material is already in my computer. The reason why I'd want to play the OTHER way is because I actually haven't tried the patch yet. I've heard ample warning that the patch has brought a host of issues to many players, and since I play BF1 more than BF2, I figured I'd keep my BF2 in it's original form for a while longer. I'm NOW curious enough to consider taking the plunge into the patch, and seeing for myself what it'll bring.

Another reason why I asked how to make a backup is so I can finally use mods... I've been warned by many to make a backup of my game first, but I do not know how to do this.

ANYONE KNOW HOW TO MAKE A BACKUP?

Zerted-- Thanks for the tip about 'Total Uninstall'.

One reason why I wanted to freely switch between the two was ALSO for BF1-- which I actually play MORE of than BF2. Since I've now realized that the other patch options for BF1 are completely pathetic for online multiplay, I may just be simple and play BF2 with the patch exclusively. I'm keeping your tip for future reference, though... Thanks.
 zerted
03-18-2006, 1:01 PM
To backup something, just COPY it into a different folder. You don't need to backup anything for just adding maps. You put those in the addon folder. If you have to change a game file, then you should back it up.
 PoiuyWired
03-18-2006, 3:18 PM
well, its a small game, relative to your HDD space, just copy the stuff into another folder before you install.
Page: 1 of 1